What I don't like about the new forum format - Page 4

What I don't like about the new forum format

This is a discussion on What I don't like about the new forum format within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; The navigation is alittle tough but I can get used to it. My biggest thing is the white background, it kind of glares at me. ...

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: What I don't like about the new forum format

The navigation is alittle tough but I can get used to it. My biggest thing is the white background, it kind of glares at me. That could be my old eyes. Yes and I hate change too, my problem.. I love this forum so anything you folks make stick I'm down with..
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    This was certainly a shocker when I got back. I've been in Maine for the last week on vacation so I had no internet access. I guess my only gripe as of yet is the lack of customization as I have seen on other vBulliten forums... i.e. skins, colors, post layout etc... (unless I have missed it) Otherwise it looks great!

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    This was certainly a shocker when I got back. I've been in Maine for the last week on vacation so I had no internet access. I guess my only gripe as of yet is the lack of customization as I have seen on other vBulliten forums... i.e. skins, colors, post layout etc... (unless I have missed it) Otherwise it looks great!
    We've never had that and I hope we never do. 18 different fonts in 32 colors and 10 different sizes....

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Well more so that you can see, not that everyone else sees. If I want to see text in all red with a black background, that would be my skin. It would not affect someone who wishes to have a green background and yellow text etc... as that would be their skin. It's more of what you see then what everyone else sees.

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I guess I'll be the oddball. No complaints here at all, I like the new look and format. Thanks for a cool site to hang out and talk gun stuff.
    ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

No complaints!

Just feedback.

I can and was already was changing the zoom level.

Bumper was already aware of the problem with the search function.

Good stuff, good support, good crowd -- what more do we need?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    The ctrl-+ makes a B-I-G difference! Thanks! Too bad you have to do it with every screen refresh though.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I don't see anything that is "hard on the eyes." The background is a really light grey, or somebody needs a new monitor. The default "quick reply" is annoying. Here Bumper... have some coffee or a beer, GOOD JOB!

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911PKR View Post
    I don't see anything that is "hard on the eyes." The background is a really light grey, or somebody needs a new monitor. The default "quick reply" is annoying. Here Bumper... have some coffee or a beer, GOOD JOB!
    Actually, I have downloaded a mod that will put the smilies into the quick reply and a couple of other changes so this one may be fixed after I get home from work. Speaking of work, gotta go.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    Take a look in the upper right hand corner and click settings. I think this is what you are looking for.
    Ah, thank you.

GM
    Regardless if I like the new format or not, I think that the older format was more user-friendly; IMO it is harder now to navigate through the forum. Sometimes the font color is way too like the background color; e.g. when posting a reply and choosing “Go Advanced”, or in “My profile”, or in “Inbox”, or when previewing a post.

I think that the threads’ titles are too close to each other, and for that reason it is harder to see the difference between the “Sticky threads” and the “Normal threads”, and to distinguish between the different Normal Threads’ titles. It looks like the designer wanted to save space and for that reason he/she crammed everything together, which makes it more difficult and even unpleasant to read.

I might be wrong, but it appears that they are trying to simulate 3D effects using colors – e.g. the text, the icons, the faces when writing a post - but in this case it does not work very well. 3D effects can be harder for the eyes and the brain than 2D effects. That something looks pretty does not necessarily implies that it is usable.

One thing that I always have wondered is why the thread’s titles are not all the time in chronological order.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

the new forum layout sux! the colors are a bad contrast and hard on the eyes. it's also less intuitive to navigate.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Bumper, a couple of thoughts from a "relative" n00b here on DC.
    1. It's change, which will take time to get used to. Some will have a hard time, most will figure it out. It might be nice to have a thread for "here are some cool new features and how to do some of the stuff you used to know how to do."
    2. I know that the vast majority of us love the forum and appreciate all your hard work. Thanks for making this forum great!!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    Bumper, a couple of thoughts from a "relative" n00b here on DC.
    1. It's change, which will take time to get used to. Some will have a hard time, most will figure it out. It might be nice to have a thread for "here are some cool new features and how to do some of the stuff you used to know how to do."
    2. I know that the vast majority of us love the forum and appreciate all your hard work. Thanks for making this forum great!!
    No questions about that!!!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by Don Glock View Post
    the new forum layout sux! the colors are a bad contrast and hard on the eyes. it's also less intuitive to navigate.
    I gotta agree with Don Glock......this new look is nowhere NEAR as good as the old one. Somebody needs to call a decorator and find out what colors don't go together. If they had the internet back in the 70's, I'm pretty sure this color scheme/format would fit right in with the Harvest Gold appliances and gawd-awful lime green shag carpet. The stark white background is like bad fluorescent lighting. The new look feels amateurish, nowhere near as professional, polished and easy to navigate as the old one.

Still a great forum, of course. It just looks like doo-doo now.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by doctruptwn View Post
    More than anything it's just getting use to the new look. One thing I would like to see different is to get a brief display of what is in a post so you don't have to open it up and get into the thread if you don't think it is something your inteerested in. I know the old setup didn't do this and it was the one thing I really didn't like.
    Unfortunately, that particular change will never happen. The bubble text when hovering over a thread may be okay for the casual visitor but for someone that has to spen a lot of time here, the little popups are a pain. They always seem to be blocking something I want to read. If it was something that an individual could turn off and on I would accommodate it but unfortunately, it's not....

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    I like the new forum software but the site looks less like a website and more like a forum. Where are the ads to generate revenue? I used to like seeing the DC sponsor banners. Where have they gone?
    It is a forum. You're saying you cannot see the sponsor block with the banners? That was one of the first things I fixed....

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    When I'm in say, the New post section,is the green arrow an indicator of threads I've already posted in?
    Yup, hold your cursor over it and it will tell you what the image indicates. There is also a key at the bottom of the page....

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I do have a question about wading through repeat visits. In the old forum format when one would go back an look at posts 'after' his/hers, you would simply go to your own post and click (view forum posts) to get to your last post in that thread. Now when I go to my own posts and click on view forum posts, it takes me to the beginning of the entire thread. Am I missing something? If my last post was #55 with 10 more posts after it...I'm taken to the beginning of the thread.
    I will check into that. I believe it's a setting somewhere....

Quote Originally Posted by Don Glock View Post
    I was going to respond but you committed "suicide by moderator" in a PM, so nevermind. Oh, and don't let the door hit ya.....

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    It's change, which will take time to get used to. Some will have a hard time, most will figure it out. It might be nice to have a thread for "here are some cool new features and how to do some of the stuff you used to know how to do."
    Yup, I was a programmer for 15 years and an IT manager for 13 years. People resisting change is pretty predictable, especially so when it comes to computer programs and websites. Many people are uncomfortable when they are first exposed to something. Then, they learn where everything is and how to use it and they are comfortable with it. Then you change something and they have to start all over in figuring it all out.

I'll look and see if I can find a new feature list I can cut and paste into a thread but it may trigger more questions that are difficult to answer. There are a lot of features that have not been implemented yet. Some of them I haven't even found out how to turn them on. Some features will not be implemented. Overall, though, this version, once I can get all of the bugs cleared up has a lot of features that help in the ease of operation of the forum. Specifically, it makes it easy to take the original post in a thread that is particularly informative or helpful (like the threads we move to the reference forum, and publish them as an article. That's a good thing because it will present content in a more easy to use way. It also has some features that I previously had to pay third party providers for such as the blog and gallery. Many of the modifications that had to be located and installed only to be uninstalled/relocated/reinstalled when we had and upgrade are now built into the base product. vBulletin has been trying to transform their forum software into a "publishing suite" of products. This is the first version in that effort and why it is a little different.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    I gotta agree with Don Glock.
    Don Glock is probably not a good one to agree with right now.

Seriously, though, I still have a lot of changes to make to the design (particularly the colors) but right now these colors are so close to the original colors I would doubt that most of you could tell the difference if the colors were put side by side. The biggest thing missing in the "design" is the header graphic and it will eventually return to it's place as before.

.....this new look is nowhere NEAR as good as the old one. Somebody needs to call a decorator and find out what colors don't go together. If they had the internet back in the 70's, I'm pretty sure this color scheme/format would fit right in with the Harvest Gold appliances and gawd-awful lime green shag carpet. The stark white background is like bad fluorescent lighting. The new look feels amateurish, nowhere near as professional, polished and easy to navigate as the old one.
    I have yet to find any stark white in the design. The current background color closest to white is actually a grey-tan and is very obvious when they are side by side. Before it's all over the colors and fonts should pretty much be back to the original. Since vBulletin has made it a LOT harder to tweak individual elements, it's just going to take time, something that I do not have an unlimited supply of....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links