What I don't like about the new forum format

This is a discussion on What I don't like about the new forum format within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Yeah, after poking around some more, I'd have to say I wish there was a way to enlarge the font permanently for individual users. ctrl ...

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: What I don't like about the new forum format

VIP Member
    Yeah, after poking around some more, I'd have to say I wish there was a way to enlarge the font permanently for individual users. ctrl - + is a pain on every page change. This print especially on the light background really strains my eyes.

The rest is just a short learning curve.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Not complaining but since you asked:

Make the links look like links.

Despite the color un-change there is something disturbing about the general appearance v. the old screen. Kind of a "glare." Giving members the option of setting their own color schemes should eliminate the complaints.

Perhaps a different "thicker" font?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Another forum I frequent (guitar related) recently upgraded vBulletin to the new version. I'm not crazy about it, but fortunately, it's not quite so bad after getting used to it over there.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    The "Ctrl +" doesn't seem to do anything in Internet Explorer 6. Don't laugh, I think I've "upgraded" before and found IE6 to be better for my casual browsing.

Changing the "Text Size" in the "View" menu doesn't have enough of an effect to be useful. For example, it affects the words "Bumper is a forum contributor",
    but not the size of the text in a post.
    You might have to go into your System Folder and turn on this feature. It may be in the "Accessibility" folder, and called Zoom or Magnifier.

Then the Ctrl +- should work.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Try ALT+Z in ie6 and see if that gives you a list of percentages to choose from.

http://www.microsoft.com/enable/prod...earch_IE6.aspx
    If I get cranky It's because the VA is changing my meds again.
    NRA and DAV life member.
    1911Auto

VIP Member
    You (or at least I) can't find any of my old-layout posts when I click on the "find all posts by" in my profile. I assume the links to them were just lost in the change-over; not a big deal.

Ditto other posters: make the links look like links, maybe a little "relief" between posts, maybe a slightly less "glare-y" background. Change is always a little scary and disconcerting, but we'll live!

Great job as usual Bumper (and crew).
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Right now I like the old format better but in time even us old dogs can get use to anything. Soon it will be old hat to us.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    You (or at least I) can't find any of my old-layout posts when I click on the "find all posts by" in my profile. I assume the links to them were just lost in the change-over; not a big deal.

Ditto other posters: make the links look like links, maybe a little "relief" between posts, maybe a slightly less "glare-y" background. Change is always a little scary and disconcerting, but we'll live!

Great job as usual Bumper (and crew).
    The posts are still "there", it looks like appears as if the search database or index is incomplete:

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    I responded to your post over there but have pasted it here as well. There is a problem with the search indexes. I submitted it to run but had to cancel it. It is going to require the forum to be closed down completely for 4-6 hours to rebuild and I just don't want to do that before getting some of the other problems resolved first....

++Font Size

All of the text seems to be a little small. I think the colors would be fine if you can up the text size a little.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Changing over to vb4 is a HUGE undertaking, it's much more than a security update or bug fixes.

First there are plenty of bugs to iron out being a new version, running the maintenance as Bumper mentioned which for a board this size takes a lot of time, tweaking, adjusting, hacks, code tweaks, etc. Not to mention it's a learning process for the person(s) doing it as it has a LOT of things changed from the previous version.

So I'm just saying I know what he is going through, having done my board, and he's about neck deep in stuff right now. It will take time to get to everything, he's probably running on little sleep and lots of coffee right now.
    If I get cranky It's because the VA is changing my meds again.
    NRA and DAV life member.
    1911Auto

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by saltysquid View Post
    Changing over to vb4 is a HUGE undertaking, it's much more than a security update or bug fixes.

First there are plenty of bugs to iron out being a new version, running the maintenance as Bumper mentioned which for a board this size takes a lot of time, tweaking, adjusting, hacks, code tweaks, etc. Not to mention it's a learning process for the person(s) doing it as it has a LOT of things changed from the previous version.

So I'm just saying I know what he is going through, having done my board, and he's about neck deep in stuff right now. It will take time to get to everything, he's probably running on little sleep and lots of coffee right now.
    saltysquid is exactly right and the only thing I would add is that the "stuff" I am neck deep in right now is pretty brown....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

In regards to the "+ Reply" button not working, I'm not sure if Bumper has addressed it already or not, but it appears to be working, just not the way you're expecting it to. If you look at the page the button links to, what it does is jump down to an anchor on the last post of the page and open the quick-reply box (which is already open anyway). The issue isn't with it "not working," it's with it not doing what you would expect it to.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I don't know if this has been addressed, but the "search" functionality is completely broken in the new version. Try searching for threads that I can see plainly exist and it just doesn't find any results. Google search will find the pages to the old forum, but all the old forum links are dead links now that the forum has switched over!

Also, from an aesthetic point of view, I much preferred the casual tan of the old forums to the cold, sleek futuristic feel of this silvery-gray design. It just feels very much out of place. And there's no banner, it just says vBulletin...I assume that's going to be replaced soon though.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

JD
    Administrator
    Regarding links etc, previously when referencing another thread it would so as a hyper-linked thread title, now we just get the full URL, the other way is much cleaner.

If it is possible, I would like a link to the "What's New" page in the Quick Navigation drop down menu at the bottom of the thread replies. That would keep me from having to go back to the top of the page when I'm done reading so I can get to the New Posts.

It's not a big issue, but if you're still taking suggestions and it's not a big pain to add, that would be great!

I will say that things are really coming along nicely and I am enjoying the new format.

To me, Bumper is a duck. He makes things look smooth on the surface, but below, I know he's paddling like crazy. Just saying, I appreciate your hard work!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Links