What I don't like about the new forum format

This is a discussion on What I don't like about the new forum format within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I find myself not coming here as much as I used to since th new layout. I don't really care for it. Its not as ...

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: What I don't like about the new forum format

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I find myself not coming here as much as I used to since th new layout. I don't really care for it. Its not as easy to navigate // I don't realy care for the way it looks. Maybe I'll get used to it? Maybe not?

2. Remove Ads

I think things are progressing nicely. It WAS a shock at first, but now that I am learning my way around, the only true thing that I am resisting is the color change...LOL...but I'll get over it...Thanks for all the hard work Bumper.

****I do have one question...Did we lose the "Helpful explanations for acronyms and slang" or is it that I just haven't found where it's hiding yet?****
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

1. The Search feature does not seem to find many threads that I know exist, ones in which I have personally participated. Uncertain if the reindexing during the migration/update simply failed to complete, or what.

2. Control over colors would be nice. The default choice isn't exactly what I would prefer, though it works. But there doesn't seem to be any control over the color schemes (or "skins"), as some vBulletin forums allow.

3. Fonts are fuzzy. The specific font choice results in lettering that's fairly fuzzy, outside the main text of each posts. That is, the headers, the "Reply" and "Reply with Quote" text below my post, the "Quick Navigation" buttons and other such things on the screen all appear much fuzzier than they need to be. The sharp, clear text from before has been lost. And it isn't simply a matter of size. I haven't fiddled with various settings on my own computer, but whatever change occurred now combines with my computer's settings to result in a very fuzzy experience, visually.

4. Emoticons are extremely fuzzy. 'Nuff said.

5. As some others have indicated, I don't find the format as easy to get around. I, too, am finding myself a bit put off by the size of things, the number of things on the screen, and how those things seem to get in the way of simply posting, simply navigating, simply searching and getting to a discussion I want to find. Overall, it seems less user-friendly than it did before the change. Specifically, compare how AR15.com was do DefensiveCarry.com one month ago, and then compare how those two sites are now. Before, DC was FAR more user-friendly and easy to get around. It had a lean-and-mean feel to it. In much the way that Google excels over Yahoo in that regard, DC had it over AR15.com. Now, after the change, whatever lean-and-mean elements that DC had over AR15.com have largely disappeared. Oh, everything still works, sure. But it's just not so easy to deal with.

Everything else seems okay.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Once Bumper gets to a certain point he will rebuild the search function through maintenance, it's slow going for him at this point though.

What browser are you using? I ask that as fonts and emoticons are not fuzzy for me.
    If I get cranky It's because the VA is changing my meds again.
    NRA and DAV life member.
    1911Auto

I'm having no issue with fonts whatsoever. I'm on Firefox, but I've also tested in IE8 with and without compatibility mode. *shrugs*

Also, are you using your monitor's native resolution? On some monitors if you use anything other than the maximum resolution it can make things appear blurry.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Well, my first thought just now when i signed on for the first time in a bit was "What the heck happened?" but I realized pretty quick that there was an upgrade made.

So far, I like it except for a couple minor things. I did like the ease of locating the user cp and other user tabs on the old version but this is just something to get used to. I did like the size of the text and the background colors much better on the old version but again, that just may be something to get used to.

I can roll with the punches here. Over all I find the new version to be a much cleaner and more "professional" look for lack of a better word.

Thanks for all the hard work that I am quite sure is ongoing Bumper. I understand that this is a big undertaking. Hang in there.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by CPO 15 View Post
    I like it; although change can be difficult, I'm sure I'll adapt. The font seems sharper, my account stays logged-in longer. Would like a "preview thread" option: cursor on thread title gives a 20 word highlight of the first post. Forum home page seems less cluttered and the "thread tools" option is easier to access by using the home key. Thanks for the improvements.
    I agree 100%.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

This grey color for everything that just popped up, it clashes with some of the stuff, like the red stars above avatars, although it seems to be changing constantly. I was just getting used to the last background color.

Seriously though, all the mods/admins seem to be working overtime around here, and are doing a great job. You ever wind up in my area Bumper, and the first beer is on me.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

DC Founder
    As I get the hang of changing design elements things are changing. I have settled on changing the design to as close to ConservativeStronghold's design as I can get because I still have it in the old version to pattern by. Be patient as I work through it but since everyone has a different take on what it should look like, some or not going to like it. I'm not, though, going to be able continue to spend 18 hours per day trying to hit a moving target.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

DC Founder
    I have bumped all of the font sizes up by one and removed most (not all) of the white from the forum backgrounds.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    I have bumped all of the font sizes up by one and removed most (not all) of the white from the forum backgrounds.
    MUCH more better! Thank you!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    Oh Neat! I can take my amber shooting glasses off now.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    This is much easier on the eyes, and I can see the letters in the navigation boxes.

Thanks Bumper!
    Proud NRA member

When you highlight a thread with your cursor, a little preview showing a couple lines of the text would be useful.
    Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.
    It's faster to dial 3-5-7 than it is to dial 9-1-1.
    I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

What I have noticed is that you have darkened the gray background a bit in peoples tread replies, and that is much nicer!

Also what I do like is when you reply with a quote, the quote box has a white background which contrasts nicely with the main dialog box.

The white background in the quote box is like the color I was seeing as the main background color a few days ago, which for me, really caused a lot of eye strain and fatigue. However having the white background confined to within the quote, it's really a nice contrast for peoples post.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Links