What I don't like about the new forum format

This is a discussion on What I don't like about the new forum format within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Sorry, however I did just notice something which is pretty annoying and tends to kind of look unprofessional. When you are looking at the list ...

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: What I don't like about the new forum format

Sorry, however I did just notice something which is pretty annoying and tends to kind of look unprofessional.

When you are looking at the list of all the threads on the title page of each forum and if a thread has multiple pages in that thread. The page numbers really overshadow the title of the thread and who originated that thread. The little boxes which contain each page number seem to be too large for just being a page indicator and the background within the page number box is a markedly lighter color and really overshadows and dominates everything other thing in the title of the thread. (I believe the proper term is "radio box?" maybe not)

The page numbers in a thread should not be the dominant feature of the thread title and author of the thread if that makes any sense.

They are especially dominant if the thread title is not in bold type when all the posts have already been read. After going back and examining it again, if it is possible to make the background color of the radio box the same shade as the regular background color and put a black outline around the box, I think it would look better and more proportionate.

Do you get the same feeling I'm trying to convey?

I really apologize for not knowing the proper terminology and lingo for trying to describe what I am trying to convey. It must be kind of frustrating for you.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    When you search "find all posts by" under your profile, there's no indicator (that I can see, though I am admittedly dense sometimes) to show if that thread has been replied to since you last posted to it... Not a huge deal, but it would save time going to check a thread that you've posted to that hasn't had any new posts added since then... I know this was a feature on the old version.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.
    Yup, I gotcha....

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    The page numbers in a thread should not be the dominant feature of the thread title....
    Done. Now that I have found the secret of design element changes I can resolve these types of issues pretty quickly....

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    When you search "find all posts by" under your profile, there's no indicator (that I can see, though I am admittedly dense sometimes) to show if that thread has been replied to since you last posted to it... Not a huge deal, but it would save time going to check a thread that you've posted to that hasn't had any new posts added since then... I know this was a feature on the old version.
    Actually, I get an error when I try to do what you described. The good news is I believe I know what I have to do to correct it; the bad news is that it requires going to a yet another version that has been released in the last couple of days. I may try to do that tonight......
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Overall, I think I like the new format. I agree with Bark'n's comments about the page numbers, though.

Here's one thing different that is something of an annoyance. When I do some sort of search and I get hits by post (as opposed to by thread), I think the new format only provides a thread-level link. The old format would make a link out of the thread title as well as a post-specific link out of the post title (or first line). That is a major convenience for going directly to the search result.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

This may just be me, not every computer savvy. I click onto the log in box on the old forum, a drop box came down to where I could click on my user name. It would do this even after clearing cookies daily. Not so on new forum, have to type in first letter of user name for drop box to appear. Even after checking the "remember me box". Password no problems. Not a biggie issue, like new format.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Any chance of getting the number of threads raised from 20 to say 30 or 40 on the results pages when you do a new posts search? Also, when there are more than 100 new posts, the first page says page 1 of 5 100 even when there are more pages and the thread count is higher. It changes when you go to page 2 and then to page 3 and will finally show the right number of pages and posts.

I'm digging the new look thanks Bumper!!

DC Founder
    Linked URLs have been underlined and the color changed from black to dark blue, the header has been added although I am not satisfied with it yet. I'll still be working on it tomorrow....
    Bumper

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    This may just be me, not every computer savvy. I click onto the log in box on the old forum, a drop box came down to where I could click on my user name. It would do this even after clearing cookies daily. Not so on new forum, have to type in first letter of user name for drop box to appear. Even after checking the "remember me box". Password no problems. Not a biggie issue, like new format.
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Any chance of getting the number of threads raised from 20 to say 30 or 40 on the results pages when you do a new posts search? Also, when there are more than 100 new posts, the first page says page 1 of 5 100 even when there are more pages and the thread count is higher. It changes when you go to page 2 and then to page 3 and will finally show the right number of pages and posts.
    I will look into both of these tomorrow....
    Bumper

My post history seems to have disappeared. If I go into my profile to try and find one of my posts from a while back, I only get like 2 pages of posts going back only a couple weeks.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    My post history seems to have disappeared. If I go into my profile to try and find one of my posts from a while back, I only get like 2 pages of posts going back only a couple weeks.
    That's probably a part of the search indexes needing to be rebuilt as discussed earlier in this thread.

Bumper, thanks for fixing the hyperlink color/underlining.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I understand that advertising pays the bills, but having the ads on every screen makes my slow computer and dial-up even slower than before.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Yes, thanks for underlining the links

I also like the ability to embed videos
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Like the rest, I hate change. However things seem to be coming togather quiet well. I noticed (or think I did) a change to the background color. that has made things much, much more easy for me to read. I was forced to change PCs at the same time the forum software was changed. The new PC has a vastly different graphics card and colors are extremely noticable if a minor change is made. Here or there. Regardless, thanks for all you all do. DC is my primary source for the type info found here.

Best!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    Some of the boxes, example (page 1 of 2, post quick reply), etc are difficult to see because the font color is too close to the background color.
    +1
    It is harder to read!
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Links