SEARCHES -- many old threads not found with search terms

This is a discussion on SEARCHES -- many old threads not found with search terms within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Q: Is something wrong with the indexing for searches? In searching the Rifles/Shotguns forum for several specific threads that I know exist with certain terms, ...

Thread: SEARCHES -- many old threads not found with search terms

Question SEARCHES -- many old threads not found with search terms

Q: Is something wrong with the indexing for searches?

In searching the Rifles/Shotguns forum for several specific threads that I know exist with certain terms, the search comes back with no results. At best, it comes with a few threads but none of the ones I can remember participating in.

For example, let's say I'm searching for any discussions I've participated in, within the Shotguns forum. By going into that forum and then doing a search where user=ccw9mm, I should get a result showing all posts I've made within the Shotguns forum. But I don't. MANY threads that I've been in simply don't show up.

As well, searching for keyword=12ga or keyword=#00 don't come up with anywhere near as many threads as I know where I have used those terms.

Problems?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Bumper will rebuild the search function when he gets to a certain point, it's slow going to get there for him right now. Upgrading to a new version of vbulletin is a major move and unfortunately it takes a bit to get it all smoothed out, please bear with him and DC.
    If I get cranky It's because the VA is changing my meds again.
    NRA and DAV life member.
    1911Auto

The search function in the vBulletin forum software has never been particularly great. Try searching using Google instead. To do that go to Google and enter the following:

[search terms] site:defensivecarry.com

(Omit the brackets around your search terms.)

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Benthic View Post
    The search function in the vBulletin forum software has never been particularly great. Try searching using Google instead. To do that go to Google and enter the following:

[search terms] site:defensivecarry.com

(Omit the brackets around your search terms.)

Brian
    Don't work. Google next page says "website not found " .........
    "Improvise, adapt, overcome."

DC Founder
    With almost 1.7 million posts, rebuilding the search indexes takes a long time, assuming that the rebuild does not bomb out. The problem is not the time it takes, really, but that large effort usually does bomb. This has always been problematic with large vBulletin (and other) forums. I found a mod that allows you to rebuild the indexes from a command line that was supposed to be more reliable but so far I have not been able to get it to even start to run. I will figure out how to get it done, but have been so busy working on other "issues" and complaints that I haven't felt like it was time to close the forum down for the many hours it will take to do a complete rebuild of the search indexes. It will happen but there are other issues that I can actually make good progress on that need attention as well....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by Horsetrader View Post
    Don't work. Google next page says "website not found " .........
    Really? Works just fine for me. For example, if I want to search the site for the word 'rifle' I type in the following:

rifle site:defensivecarry.com

Here's a LMGTFY link so you can see exactly what I did. (NOTE: LMGTFY is normally used in a 'smart aleck' sort of way, and that's not my intention at all here. I just wanted to show you exactly what I typed.) Of course you could remove "rifle" and replace it with whatever search terms you like. You can even surround your search terms with quotes to search for specific phrases, like this:

"rifle magazine" site:defensivecarry.com

As Bumper mentions, rebuilding a search index takes a LOT of time and effort. But that's what Google does. So if the DC search function doesn't turn up what I'm looking for, Google is always my next move.

Brian

"rifle magazine" site:defensivecarry.com

I've done this many times today and it doesn't work. It doesn't work for rifle magazine or for the term I'm looking for. In fact using your "LMGTFY link" and then clicking on an of the results form the search it all comes up 404.

Same as the other guy: 404 Not Found errors.

Not a problem. It's not a must find thread or die situation but it isn't working.

Distinguished Member
    Because the forum changed you can't click on the main links for the google search results. Instead click on the "cached" link at the end of the description and you'll pull up the cached text of the page you are looking for.

yep that works.

Links