The posting of copyrighted material

This is a discussion on The posting of copyrighted material within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I guess I'm wondering why one I did was edited.... I copied a first few lines of the article and posted the link to the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31

Thread: The posting of copyrighted material

  1. #16
    VIP Member Array Eagleks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    7,724
    I guess I'm wondering why one I did was edited.... I copied a first few lines of the article and posted the link to the story at the very top of it..... copied title of article and all initial info (author, etc) .

    Is that not the correct way ? If not, I'm not sure I'm getting how to do it ..... any clarification appreciated so we can do it correctly.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    VIP Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,039
    Is that not the correct way ? If not, I'm not sure I'm getting how to do it ..... any clarification appreciated so we can do it correctly.
    It's always going to be case-by-case, depending on the nature of what you're linking to. You have to be very cautious when quoting sources like Associated Press or New York Times, as these firms are very active in defending their copyright. So let's take one from NYT then.

    Here's an article that details how the NRA has been working on behalf of gun owners, and it includes a little-known provision in the health insurance reform act:

    In the health care debate this year ... the N.R.A.’s lobbyists worked with the Senate majority leader, Harry Reid, to include a little-noticed provision banning insurance companies from charging higher premiums for people with guns in their homes.
    That's a key sentence, which I edited down a bit both for concision and to respect Fair Use guidelines. It's also the essential information to illustrate the point I was making. The rest of the article talks about other things and there is zero sense and zero reason for me to quote the entire article.

    This stuff isn't difficult. You copy, paste, and use the linking button at the top of your commenting window. It is sad and stupid to see so many people here quote an entire article just to make one small comment, and then someone quotes that entire comment, including the entire quoted article, just to add, "me too." And then someone quotes all of that in order to add, "me three" or "+1" and in one thread we have an entire article posted verbatim a dozen times because some members are so lazy that all they can do is hit the "reply with quote" button.

    The safe way to go is to quote only that which is essential, no more than one paragraph or no more than three partial excerpts. Link back to the source. Add some of your own commentary or explanatory text, and you're good. Basically, you are replicating an RSS feed and news sources generally like that because it drives traffic to them, which increases their clout with advertisers.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

  4. #18
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,917
    Well, I am definitely on notice! I am doing my best to comply with copyright laws.

    Can I get a ruling on posting photos? Lately, instead of copying a photo to my hard drive and then posting it on hosting site like Photobucket, what I have done is the following:

    On the website where the photo is posted in original content, I have been right clicking and "copy image location." Then on this site, when I post the photo using the "Insert Image" icon in the toolbar, it will include the image in my post. Even though you can see the photo directly in my post, it is actually coming directly from a link to the original website. At least that is how I see it.

    Is that a copyright violation? I believe the term is called "hot linking," but I'm not exactly sure on that.

    I must say, if photo's are no longer acceptable to put in the discussion forum it's going to get pretty boring. However, we must comply with the law.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

  5. #19
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,718
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    On the website where the photo is posted in original content, I have been right clicking and "copy image location." Then on this site, when I post the photo using the "Insert Image" icon in the toolbar, it will include the image in my post. Even though you can see the photo directly in my post, it is actually coming directly from a link to the original website.
    That's perfect, and the preferred method of referencing an image from another web site's URL. It results in a LINK. As such, you're not removing control from the copyright holder and the publisher. Instead, you're allowing them full control over the source and simply pointing to it. Exactly as it should be.

    In "edit" mode or when creating a post, look closely at the code used to create that link. Notice that it absolutely is a link, instead of a copy of the image. The "IMG" tags surrounding the URL of the image make it a link. Just as the "URL" tags surrounding the URL of a web page is a link. No infringement.

    I must say, if photo's are no longer acceptable to put in the discussion forum it's going to get pretty boring. However, we must comply with the law.
    Nobody's asking anyone to stop referencing images. The requirement is only to stop copying material.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  6. #20
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    That's perfect, and the preferred method of referencing an image from another web site's URL. It results in a LINK. As such, you're not removing control from the copyright holder and the publisher. Instead, you're allowing them full control over the source and simply pointing to it. Exactly as it should be.

    In "edit" mode or when creating a post, look closely at the code used to create that link. Notice that it absolutely is a link, instead of a copy of the image. The "IMG" tags surrounding the URL of the image make it a link. Just as the "URL" tags surrounding the URL of a web page is a link. No infringement.

    Nobody's asking anyone to stop referencing images. The requirement is only to stop copying material.
    Thanks for the response ccw9mm. That is exactly what I was thinking... I am technically posting a link to the "photo specific" URL. It's just cool that the image actually appears in my forum post instead of just a clickable hyperlink.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

  7. #21
    DC Founder
    Array Bumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    20,045
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I guess I'm wondering why one I did was edited.... I copied a first few lines of the article and posted the link to the story at the very top of it..... copied title of article and all initial info (author, etc) .

    Is that not the correct way ? If not, I'm not sure I'm getting how to do it ..... any clarification appreciated so we can do it correctly.
    Provide me a link to the post in question and I will look into it. We have been "on the lookout" for articles that violate copyright law and editing/deleting them but if you posted the way you stated, it should not have been edited but without details I don't know the specifics.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Can I get a ruling on posting photos? Lately, instead of copying a photo to my hard drive and then posting it on hosting site like Photobucket, what I have done is the following:

    On the website where the photo is posted in original content, I have been right clicking and "copy image location." Then on this site, when I post the photo using the "Insert Image" icon in the toolbar, it will include the image in my post. Even though you can see the photo directly in my post, it is actually coming directly from a link to the original website. At least that is how I see it.
    Yup, that's the way to do it. We are not going to get strict on images that do not have a copyright "C" on them. There is virtually no way that we can make rulings on every image that members post, but those marked with a copyright are no brainers. If someone finds an image of theirs posted here that violates copyright laws we will promptly remove it in order to comply.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

  8. #22
    VIP Member Array dukalmighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    15,179
    UHOH you mean I been breaking the law...how do you post a url link from a story,I'm pretty computer inept
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

  9. #23
    Senior Member Array DaveJay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    UHOH you mean I been breaking the law...how do you post a url link from a story,I'm pretty computer inept
    Click on the url of the article you want in your post, go to edit on your browser, hit copy, then come back to your post that is under construction, place the cursor where you want to put the url, go back to edit and hit paste...

    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...material/page2
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

  10. #24
    VIP Member Array Eagleks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    7,724
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    The safe way to go is to quote only that which is essential, no more than one paragraph or no more than three partial excerpts. Link back to the source. Add some of your own commentary or explanatory text, and you're good. Basically, you are replicating an RSS feed and news sources generally like that because it drives traffic to them, which increases their clout with advertisers.
    I always put the link, and then copy the first part to the point it gives the main info..... which then also includes their title, source, date, and author info. Usually that's the first paragraph.

    However, mine was edited, so that's why I asked.... I couldn't see any difference except for one quote from the bottom of the article that I included had been deleted.

    Only trying to do it correctly, and trying to be sure ... that way you aren't wasting youir time "fixing" any of them either.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

  11. #25
    DC Founder
    Array Bumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    20,045
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I always put the link, and then copy the first part to the point it gives the main info..... which then also includes their title, source, date, and author info. Usually that's the first paragraph.

    However, mine was edited, so that's why I asked.... I couldn't see any difference except for one quote from the bottom of the article that I included had been deleted.

    Only trying to do it correctly, and trying to be sure ... that way you aren't wasting youir time "fixing" any of them either.
    Please see post 21, I responded to your post....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

  12. #26
    JD
    JD is offline
    Administrator
    Array JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    19,235
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    Please see post 21, I responded to your post....
    Bumper, I edited the post in question.

    The forum rules as amended state the following:

    13. Copyrighted material. If you are posting a copyrighted story, our rules permit the first paragraph being copied verbatim with a link pointing to the rest of the article/story's original source. You should summarize the rest of the story, in your own words, after the link. DO NOT cut and paste a complete article or story and DO NOT simply provide a link without further comment. Violations of this rule will receive one warning and then receive an infraction of no less than 10 points. Additional infractions will have their points doubled.
    I just shortened it to the first paragraph in accordance the above.

  13. #27
    DC Founder
    Array Bumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    20,045
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Bumper, I edited the post in question.
    Gotcha.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

  14. #28
    VIP Member Array Janq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,781
    Today I received a heads up warning with direction toward this thread.
    Seeing what i see here I now understand.

    Ironically my long time norm had been to post parts and sections but earlier this year I switched to posting the entire content of an article.
    I'll switch back to my past norm.

    Thanks for the heads up JD!

    - Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

    "A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

  15. #29
    VIP Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,039
    Just a quick note on "Fair Use" doctrine:

    If you are posting a copyrighted story, our rules permit the first paragraph being copied verbatim
    In many cases, the first paragraph will encapsulate the concept of an article and it's a good choice, if you need a quote. But sometimes you might want to quote some other part that's relevant. The thing to keep in mind is that you run a risk of copyright violation when you quote more than a paragraph in total. As a ballpark figure, you have around 3-5 sentences you are free to quote. Same practice applies if you're quoting material to support an argument or establishing a proof.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

  16. #30
    VIP Member Array dukalmighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    15,179
    I need to know how to post a link to a story/website,I used to just copy and paste it which is Taboo,Any help would be appreciated
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Remora Holster Material?
    By REVMAN in forum Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: December 20th, 2010, 06:35 PM
  2. What material is your holster?
    By ExactlyMyPoint in forum Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: December 31st, 2007, 12:31 PM
  3. CPM-10V As Blade Material
    By QKShooter in forum Defensive Knives & Other Weapons
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 4th, 2005, 07:45 PM

Search tags for this page

is it illegal to copy and paste post from one internet forum to another

,

posting a link to copyrighted material

,

posting copyrighted material onfacebook

Click on a term to search for related topics.