Forum Search not working

Forum Search not working

This is a discussion on Forum Search not working within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; One of the most valuable tools of any discussion board is the Forum Search which allows users to find discussions that have already been posted ...

Thread: Forum Search not working

Unhappy Forum Search not working

One of the most valuable tools of any discussion board is the Forum Search which allows users to find discussions that have already been posted about a topic. This helps keep related material together and reduces the number of new threads asking the same questions over and over.

Unfortunately the Forum Search here does not work reliably. Far too often the Forum Search returns "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms." on terms that absolutely ARE in the forum being searched.

At first I tried a couple of forum searches in the holster forum and the defensive handguns forums looking for "2022" (without the quotes). I was a little surprised but not shocked to get the "no matches" response, but when I repeated the forum search for the word Sig and still got "no matches" it was obvious that there was a problem with the search engine -- at a quick glance I noticed at least three threads in the defensive handgun forum that were specifically about Sig handguns and had the word Sig in the thread title.

On the other hand, a search for 1911 did turn up several results (although perhaps not quite as many as I might expect) so the Forum Search function is at least partly working -- but it clearly is not working right.

JD
    Administrator
    We are aware of the problem:

Problems with new forum software

SEARCHES -- many old threads not found with search terms

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    With almost 1.7 million posts, rebuilding the search indexes takes a long time, assuming that the rebuild does not bomb out. The problem is not the time it takes, really, but that large effort usually does bomb. This has always been problematic with large vBulletin (and other) forums. I found a mod that allows you to rebuild the indexes from a command line that was supposed to be more reliable but so far I have not been able to get it to even start to run. I will figure out how to get it done, but have been so busy working on other "issues" and complaints that I haven't felt like it was time to close the forum down for the many hours it will take to do a complete rebuild of the search indexes. It will happen but there are other issues that I can actually make good progress on that need attention as well....
    Patch coming this week
    We have a patch coming in a day or two. Since I will have to take the forum down to apply the patch, I am going to try to get through the search index rebuild, as well. I will probably do this late at night right before I go to bed which means the forum will be down most of the night and the next morning. If it works, it will take quite a long time; if it doesn't, I will be asleep and not know it bombed until I wake up.....
    I may, depending on my schedule, delay the patch until next week. I just sold my house and trying to get all the tasks related to selling this one and buying the new one is not leaving me a lot of time....

Sponsored Links