What is the star for "reputation points" for?? (on the bottom line of a post box)

This is a discussion on What is the star for "reputation points" for?? (on the bottom line of a post box) within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I can only assume that this is not good - to have one point for reputation. OK, I said crappy once and do not have ...

Thread: What is the star for "reputation points" for?? (on the bottom line of a post box)

Distinguished Member

What is the star for "reputation points" for?? (on the bottom line of a post box)

I can only assume that this is not good - to have one point for reputation. OK, I said crappy once and do not have the cleanest of minds and might have made a mildly political scarcastic comment.

What do I need to know about this? How can you tell what you get dinged for?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    I can only assume that this is not good - to have one point for reputation. OK, I said crappy once and do not have the cleanest of minds and might have made a mildly political scarcastic comment.

What do I need to know about this? How can you tell what you get dinged for?
    I visit another board (football) that uses the same software as this one...and they are BIG into that Reputation stuff...

You can give positive or negative reputation points on a post...some people are reputation suck-ups, trying to build up more and more...because you get a "pretty" row of dots for all the rep you earn...

And I just checked...that star only a[ppears on posts that you make...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveJay View Post
    I visit another board (football) that uses the same software as this one...and they are BIG into that Reputation stuff...

You can give positive or negative reputation points on a post...some people are reputation suck-ups, trying to build up more and more...because you get a "pretty" row of dots for all the rep you earn...

And I just checked...that star only a[ppears on posts that you make...
    Glad someone brought it up. Still, I just read the OP's question and your response and I still don't understand it. Where did you find the star designation explanation? I have a dark colored start as well, but for the life of me I don't understand what it indicates or how/why I received it. I would think if it's a bad thing, we should receive a hand-slap explanation from a Mod or Admin member.
    Regards,
    Dan
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

ntg
    So are you referring to the stars just the user name and "member", "distinguished member", etc.?
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

ntg
    Wait a minute...I just had one show up on the bottom of the post, on the left of the blue/gray bar that also has "edit post" etc.

Hoovering over it it says "1. This post has not received any reputation. You currently have 0 reputation point(s).". I only see it on my posts?

VIP Member
    Silly me... I just figured it's there because I listed in my profile that I'm a former LEO.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

ntg
    I'm thinking it is a recent upgrade/addition, as I don't recall that star always being there. Maybe site administration will have some information for all of us regarding how it is used, what it is for, etc.

I believe the reputation point system on this site has been disabled for the good & harmony of it's members.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Distinguished Member
    So is this a bad thing (which I assumed)?? And what did I get it for?

It's on the dark blue line at the bottom of a post box next to Blog this post.
    Not the red stars below your name, that I get.

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    I believe the reputation point system on this site has been disabled for the good & harmony of it's members.
    ^^^^^^^
    THIS!!!!!
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Means nothing...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    Correct
    Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    So is this a bad thing (which I assumed)?? And what did I get it for?

It's on the dark blue line at the bottom of a post box next to Blog this post.
    Not the red stars below your name, that I get.
    No, it's just there by default but is unused.

DC Founder
    We do not use the reputation system in the way it was intended. Rather I have used it as a flag for those that have donated to the forum. Members have zero reputation points until they donate. At that time I change it to "1" which triggers the "Site Supporter" graphic to display. As JD said, the star is there by default and I have no control over it. For the record, as JAT40 said, I do not believe that the reputation system does anything but create cliques and attitudes that cause problems. PDO went down for making the decision to use reputation points....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Links