Site doesn't remember my read posts, or what is a new post to me

This is a discussion on Site doesn't remember my read posts, or what is a new post to me within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Sorry if this has been brought up before. I did not see a thread title that addressed my issue. I access the forum from different ...

Thread: Site doesn't remember my read posts, or what is a new post to me

Site doesn't remember my read posts, or what is a new post to me

Sorry if this has been brought up before. I did not see a thread title that addressed my issue.
    I access the forum from different computers. My cookies are enabled, but the site does not remember me being here and having read a thread. In other words, when coming here on a different computer, when I click on Go to First New Post in front of a thread's title, it will show posts I have already read earlier that day, but on a different computer. Usually vB sites are pretty good about keeping your place and I don't understand why this is happening here. Right now I pretty much have to remember who posted last and at what time to scroll to where I last read.

Is there a fix for this, or is this a glitch in the site that everyone lives with?

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Got to ask the obvious, are you logging in from each different computer?
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Thanks for trying to help, Rick.
    No, I am not logging in (actually). I have the site set to remember me and it logs me in automatically. And I am leaving the site on one computer before opening it back up on another. The computers are all in the same workgroup, so same ISP. It's just this site that doesn't remember when I have clicked on a thread, none of the others I visit. It baffles me.

Even if they are on the same work group they are different computers and will require you to log off of the one you leave and log on the one you go to. I've been running several computers on the same internet address and each still maintains it's individuality.

I've had students logged into the same board as I am on a different computer on this net under their own ID and both theirs and mine work fine simultaneously.

Yes, that's true Bullseye. I mentioned it in case the site thought I was somone else with a different ISP logging in under my name. Just in case that could affect cookies.

DC Founder
    The method the script uses to determine whether you have read a given thread or not is cookie based. Since you have a cookie from the forum on each computer, it's just getting all messed up regarding what you have and have not read. I'm not sure if there is a way to resolve this without going to the database-based method, which I believe is possible, but with the traffic we have here it would be a lot of I/O on the database and probably slow the forum down. If I remember correctly it's not recommended for large forums....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Distinguished Member
    I have this same issue but it's also time sensitive.

I log on at work, read threads etc. I leave work, drive home (30-45mins), log on and it doesn't know any of the threads I have read during the day. But when I close my home computer at 11pm at night and log back on at work the next day at 7am it remembers my read threads from the night before.

Thanks Bumper. I certainly don't want you to mess with anything on your end. I was hoping it was something more simple to correct. Maybe those other sites I do not have a problem with had their settings set up differently from the getgo.

You may be right k9dad. Once in a while it will remember what I have read. At least I'm not alone, lol.

Links