CMS Comments

This is a discussion on CMS Comments within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Threads are starting to pop up in the "CMS Comments" forum when I run a search for new posts, that can not be viewed. I ...

Thread: CMS Comments

CMS Comments

Threads are starting to pop up in the "CMS Comments" forum when I run a search for new posts, that can not be viewed. I don't think this is something on my end, but it seems kind of weird.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    It looks like some are playing with the "Promote to Article" function of the new software, the CMS section is not currently in use.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...OK...-I-ll-ask

I didn't think it was, there are like 4 threads that popped up from it, including one from Bumper, so I hoped it was nothing malicious, just kinda screwy.

Thank you for giving me a link that takes me to a screen saying I don't have permission to view whatever it is you sent me to.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I have no access to them either. Not that I'm looking for special treatment, I've just been wondering what's up. Weird? Yep.

I've noticed the same thing...several today on one page.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks for the thread. Saves me from starting one :^)
    Weird.

DC Founder
    As promised months ago, I am trying to get the CMS up and working. Report here if you like, but consider anything to do with CMS to be "under construction". I've already had one person tell me they really don't like the CMS. This is easy to solve; don't go there. I should have it finished by the weekend....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I must have missed that notice a couple months ago, I was probably on one of my absences I have to take from time to time. Thanks for clearing it up Bumper, and for keeping the place running so smoothly.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    It looks like some are playing with the "Promote to Article" function of the new software, the CMS section is not currently in use.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...OK...-I-ll-ask
    Hmm, even with the link I am still forbidden to see it. I will just go back into my cave and sulk. (Just kidding).

Actually, I don't even know what "CMS" stands for. That's what I get for being away for so long.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Actually, I don't even know what "CMS" stands for. That's what I get for being away for so long.
    CMS stands for Content Management System. The new release of vBulletin has a "publishing suite" option, which means it comes with the vBulletin Blog and CMS built in. I purchased that version. It allows you to take individual posts and "promote" them to articles. These articles are displayed very similarly like a newspaper. The "front page" will have all of the navigation to these articles and, like the old CMS, have links to recent threads and posts. We can also link things like the forum rules, and general help style articles; basically anything we want. To prime the CMS I pulled some of the threads contained within the Reference forum. Once it is up and running correctly I will open it up to all moderating staff to promote especially good posts to articles, keeping the front page content fresh.

Some people have no interest in the CMS format. For them they can continue to go straight to the forum as they always have and never even see it. There are now three basic URLS in which to access the forum:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/forum.php - will take you to the forum, skipping the CMS content as most of you always have since the upgrade.

http://www.defensivecarry.com or http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/ will be a direct entries into the CMS. In other words, the second and third URLs will take you to the same place. Visitors usually enter through the base URL, longtime members have normally entered through the URL with the "/vbulletin" directory attached to the URL.

If you go into the CMS, there is a link to the forum in the left side of the navigation bar but there is no link from the forum back into the CMS without entering one of the URLs to the above. Ignore the "CMS Comments" forum. I will eventually remove that forum from view as it is only meant to be a place for the script to store individual comments on articles and I am considering turning comments on articles off. Long term, I see the CMS articles as replacing the Reference forum altogether as they are really redundant.

Edited to add: The CMS Comments forum has been removed and the ability to comment on articles has been disabled.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Thanks Bumper! More information than I asked for, but it's a great explanation!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Links