The dreaded Red X

This is a discussion on The dreaded Red X within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I've got four computers I use on the same network, all running XP Pro and using IE8. I've got a recent problem with this site ...

Thread: The dreaded Red X

The dreaded Red X

I've got four computers I use on the same network, all running XP Pro and using IE8. I've got a recent problem with this site on one of them... of course my most used computer, my laptop. It's happened within the last four days or so. The DC logo at the top of the page and any smiley a member posts shows up as a red X. As I'm looking at the smileys on the right typing this, half of them are not showing up either, either a blank spot where they are should be or the red X.

Any ideas other than rebooting? Anyone else having this problem?

2. Remove Ads

Had the same problem here. Deleted cookies and now all appears to be well.
    Smith & Wesson M&P .40
    Walther PPS .40
    Ruger LCP

DC Founder
    I have not heard of anyone else, so far, having this problem. It has happened in the past when there was a problem with the version of the browser they were using had a bug and I have experienced it myself when there was a lot of latency in the forum. Looking at performance statistics, our performance is higher than it ever has been since we moved to the new server. I can't really imagine it being related to latency, at this time, because I have about the highest latency of probably anyone with the satellite system that we are on out here. You might want to try accessing the forum with another browser, other than Internet Explorer, and see if the problem clears up. There is also a setting that used to be in IE to suppress images that may have somehow been set wrong, possibly an update. Other than that, unless the problem is widespread it is difficult for me to debug....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Thanks anoldpunk. I'll try deleting the cookies in My Favorites after tonight's session. Maybe the server change maessed with this site's cookies somehow.

No latency here, Bumper. This site has always loaded super quick for me. And I do not wish to download another browser just for this one forum. I am comfortable with IE and like using it.
    I'll let you know after I clear my complete cookies tonight. At least the forum sponsors are still showing up.

Happens sometimes from my iPad.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

I had the same problem a couple nights ago. Turned on the box the next day and everything was fine.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Administrator
    I was getting them on my forum title - Site Supporter banner & Stars - but, it seems to have healed itself.

Also when I would go to edit (my own) or a member post to correct spelling or add a VID the entire top tool-bar [AKA the Bold Italic Underline etc icons] & upper functions were all red X's but, that is no longer occurring either.

It was not really a big problem for me since I knew their locations even though they were just Red X's.

I actually thought it was my computer until another member PMed me about having the same problem & then it went away on my computer & so I assumed that it was repaired for everybody having the same issue.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by anoldpunk View Post
    Had the same problem here. Deleted cookies and now all appears to be well.
    I failed to mention that as a possible fix. In the world of forums, logging out, deleting cookies, closing out your browser and then starting again is the equivalent of rebooting. It is very possible that your cookie got corrupted from the server move since we also changed name servers.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Yep. Deleting the cookie and logging back in fixed it. I'll have to keep that in mind. Thanks.

Links