A back door?

This is a discussion on A back door? within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I was just in the communist state of Iowa City Iowa, in the communist University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, in a waiting room with ...

Thread: A back door?

A back door?

I was just in the communist state of Iowa City Iowa, in the communist University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, in a waiting room with WiFi. Their WiFi firewall blocks this site, because it discusses evil "weapons."

I know some other sites have a "back door" on their server that allow entry to the forums. The back door site is an innocuous page of text with a link that goes directly thru to the forums without changing the url... or something (I'm an old hardware guy, so I don't know much about programming or software).

I'm wondering if that would be possible here?
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Are you certain about your assertion that this site is blocked?

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    At least one of our local hospitals does the same thing. A while back I took my laptop with me when my wife was having surgery. Figured it would be a good opportunity to catch-up on some forums. All my gun sites were blocked because they were weapons related.
    NRA Life Member

Yea I've been blocked before trying to access this site as well. Under the Reason of "Weapons"

VIP Member
    I have gotten around some of the nanny firewalls by putting in the IP address instead of the URL.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Are you certain about your assertion that this site is blocked?
    Absolutely.

Other gun related forums were not. But they are obscure and not very frequented anyway. (well one other site, anyway)

interesting about the ip address... I may try that if I have the opportunity again.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

interesting on the ip addy: I get to photoforum dot com using the pinged ip addy of 208.43.44.246 so that may not work.
    It could be worse.
    John Adams

Distinguished Member
    Id suggest using a proxy server, but forum rules prohibit that. An automatic perma-ban is the result

DC RULES

12. Those using, or attempting to use, an anonymous proxy to either register or access this forum will be banned, without notice, warning or discussion.
    I imagine the spirit of this rule is for those attempting to get around a ban, but it has unfortunate negative consequences for the rest of us...

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    Id suggest using a proxy server, but forum rules prohibit that. An automatic perma-ban is the result
    I imagine the spirit of this rule is for those attempting to get around a ban, but it has unfortunate negative consequences for the rest of us...
    That's why I'm suggesting they set up their own "back Door"
    It could be worse.
    John Adams

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post

^^^Not that I would, or could,^^^^^^^^^^^

( I have no clue what it means) but I wonder what the rationale is behind this??

No explaination is given.

Would this be the same as , say going to a library and accessing DC through that means.??
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post

( I have no clue what it means) but I wonder what the rationale is behind this??

Would this be the same as , say going to a library and accessing DC through that means.??
    Basically, a proxy server is a web site that allows you to access other sites through them. This way the final site shows the visitor as the proxy server, not your actual computers ip address

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post

Not like going through the library or another computer at all... Essentially, it is like putting on a "mask" so that DC cannot tell who you really are. It works like this: You log onto a proxy server from any pc. Then you log onto DC thru the proxy server by typing DC's URL in the "go to" box. This means that DC has no idea what pc you are actually logging in from. Part of the problem with proxy servers is that they tend to spread viruses.

Proxy servers are abundant, do a google search... but be prepared to get some viruses anyway if you should ever use them. And, most respectable forums do not allow log in from most proxy servers.
    It could be worse.
    John Adams

Links