Slow loading of forum

Slow loading of forum

This is a discussion on Slow loading of forum within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I know at least a few users have noted that the forum tends to load slower than it used to. I finally got annoyed with ...

Thread: Slow loading of forum

Slow loading of forum

I know at least a few users have noted that the forum tends to load slower than it used to. I finally got annoyed with it and watched the different sites that are hit during the loading of the page. While browsing on a mobile device this is a source of much frustration. I could be mistaken, but I think it's due to the advertisements. I notice a pause in the website loading when the browser is reaching out to doubleclick.net. I understand the ads are a necessary source of income, but they make for quite a long pause in the page loading on slower connections.

We had a very similar problem on a site where I'm an admin with a section with content from Twitter (don't ask, wasn't my idea) causing a pause in the site loading. We ended up messing with the order of things in the code to make it load last.

Just a suggestion.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Ad's can definitely slow the crap out of forums, I've got that prob on some but not here

Administrator
    I am not experiencing this on here as well. We are in the very slow process of removing some of the ads at the top. We feel the same way about that as you do. I actually feel this site is pretty fast compared to a lot of others I am on.
    XD Sub-Compact .40
    XDm Compact .40
    Ruger LCP
    Kimber Ultra Carry II

There does seem to be a problem loading the 'smilies'...they show up in the edit, but not in the saved post. What's up with that?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

DC Founder
    I believe the slowness or the "lag" most are experiencing is due to the Doubleclick ads, at least that is what I have been experiencing. By watching the various items load in your browser, you can tell which scripts and links are slow. Anything that has to connect offsite causes the site to be vulnerable to performance issues....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

This icon linked to another gun site seems to also be hanging my browser along with the doubleclick ads
    http://www.xdtalk.com/vendors/tucker128.gif
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    I believe the slowness or the "lag" most are experiencing is due to the Doubleclick ads, at least that is what I have been experiencing. By watching the various items load in your browser, you can tell which scripts and links are slow. Anything that has to connect offsite causes the site to be vulnerable to performance issues....
    Yeah, that's why I mentioned them specifically. The ads at the top don't seem to bother the load time really, the longest pause is on the doubleclick ads.

I also noticed the smiley issue today retsupt, I hadn't paid attention to it before.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Links