Rep Power?

This is a discussion on Rep Power? within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; On the right sidebar under user cp I see the words "Rep Power:0." What is that, and if it's not functional, why is it there?...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By oakchas
  • 1 Post By Stubborn
  • 1 Post By Justified
  • 1 Post By SIXTO

Thread: Rep Power?

Question Rep Power?

On the right sidebar under user cp I see the words "Rep Power:0."

What is that, and if it's not functional, why is it there?
    Justified likes this.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

2. Remove Ads

I too am curious about that along with the stars, so I am commenting to hopefully see the answer.........
    • We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    The stars...I have always wondered about the stars. I just didn't want to show my ignorance by asking, you know the old saying "it's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt"
    Justified likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Do not know about the rep power but the stars coincide with the number of post you put up. I found the numbers once but can not remember where. I just know when you hit 250 post you hit 3 stars.
    Last edited by bigdog44; July 15th, 2011 at 04:57 PM. Reason: had number of star count wrong
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    The stars...I have always wondered about the stars. I just didn't want to show my ignorance by asking, you know the old saying "it's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt"
    I would rather people think of me as dumb, slow, small, and and unobservant.
    Stubborn likes this.
    • We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Found the answer to your question. Go to home page and I went into FAQ's. Here is the star answer. Reputation seems to be tied to donations to support the site. Highly recommended as a good thing as it is a great site.

Ranks, denoted by a number of red stars under the title, are arbitrary. As post counts increase, the number of stars increase to a maximum of 5. Staff members all have 6 stars. Rank * 0 posts - no stars * 5+ posts - 1-star * 50+ posts - 2 stars * 250+ posts - 3 stars * 500+ posts - 4 stars * 1000+ posts- 5 stars * Staff regardless of post count - 6 stars
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Administrator
    The rep power thing isn't active, but I don't think it can be removed easily from vbulletin
    "Just blame Sixto"

DC Founder
    I used to use that field in the database to indicate that a member had donated to the forum and would trigger the contributor graphic to display. The new owners have a different system and I would guess that field is currently not used. That would mean that it currently indicates people that donated prior to March, 2011....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Thanks for the info folks.

Guess many of us will always be zeros then...
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post

Guess many of us will always be zeros then...
    But zeros mean so much.
    ‪They Might Be Giants - Zeroes‬‏ - YouTube
    Justified likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The rep power thing isn't active, but I don't think it can be removed easily from vbulletin
    Sure it can..Dan, John or Doug should be able to remove it.

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
    Sure it can..Dan, John or Doug should be able to remove it.
    If the code I had added has been removed (and I believe it has) it should just be a matter of turning off the reputation system. By the way, for those of you that are fairly new, the reputation system was basically what started all of the arguments at packing.org leading to it's demise. Reputation systems are for those that constantly need their ego stoked.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    packing.org leading to it's demise. Reputation systems are for those that constantly need their ego stoked.....
    I know nothing about packing.org, but I'll second that. There's no need for them. 'Likes' are good enough IMO. Once you get the power to negatively impact someone's perceived reputation all heck is going to break loose.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Links