Defensive Carry banner

LOUD Very ANNOYING Advertising in Forums

7K views 65 replies 40 participants last post by  RockBottom 
#1 ·
I just started reading the forums today and on three different posts, heard VERY loud advertising! What is this? I clicked NO links and was just reading posts when this occured. Is this something new? Because if it is, I do NOT want to hear ads when reading the forums.

#5 ·
I had one start playing earlier today. It popped up out of nowhere and was LOUD.

#8 ·
never had that problem so far... REALLY HOPE I DONT! I love this site, and i HATE that stuff. Hopefully its just malware and not the website.

#10 ·
That sounds more like a problem on the users computer. Malware that is embedded in your software and when you come here it pings it to pop up. Seriously I have not had a pop up in about 4 years.

I would recommend downloading some anti-malware programs and scanning your computer. I will not suggest any to you because I refuse to be liable for anything you mess up on your computer. I will however tell you what I use. All free. :)

Panda Cloud Antivirus. (Runs 24/7 in the background, monitoring)
Ad-aware by lavasoft (Cleans cookies, caches, and temp files)
Spybot - Search and destroy (searches every file on your computer, including the registry.)

#12 ·
Just had a Lysol ad do it. Loud as all get out... Bottom left under sponsors....

#13 ·
-
I've not heard any audio ads on DC using IE8.

#20 ·
It happened to me for the first time last night. VERY annoying. Bottom left hand of screen, embedded in the forum. I'm all for silent adds that you have to click on for sound if you want to watch them but instant, loud ads on website are just .. RUDE!

Some of us access this forum from places where we expect a little quiet or privacy.. having a blaring ad start can really put a damper on wanting to come back to a particular website. I hope this is rectified quickly.

#21 ·
I had it happen on Firefox & Google Chrome so far. Have not tried Internet Exploder.

I am running MalwareBytes anti-malware software to scan on my home PC while I am off at work today. Tonight I will do an update on Spybot & Norton & will run a full scan on both of them as well. Will update if anything changes on my end. It seems like aflash-based adware program may have ended up dumped on the server. Since the folks that disable flash are not having to deal with I would not doubt that is the issue. A good scan of the server HD will likely root it out.

#23 ·
You have malware... scan and clean your PC

run THIS first:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic308364.html

Then download this

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

and

http://www.combofix.org/

Update and scan

Also run an anti malware or virus software like avast, avg, or avira and for god sakes STOP using Internet Exploder and download firefox and install the adblock plugin.

Problems solved. I have NEVER heard an ad on this site. But I take safeguards and countermeasure to prevent malware and scumware from getting on my PC.

#29 ·
I've been on here all morning, and have not heard one of the annoying drive everyone away adds since about 10. I'm holding out hope that it was temporary lapse of judgment, malware of some sort or a plain old mistake.

#30 ·
I had one go off for the first time this am. It was in the Sponsors pane just above the Thread Information below... I just clicked on the speaker ICON to mute it, and I haven't heard anything since...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.