Annoying trend.

Annoying trend.

This is a discussion on Annoying trend. within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; When someone posts a thread asking what .22 brand to use, they aren't asking to be schooled why not to. Same when they ask about ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Annoying trend.

Annoying trend.

When someone posts a thread asking what .22 brand to use, they aren't asking to be schooled why not to. Same when they ask about a specific brand, they aren't asking to be told to buy a Glock. It's belittling to the original poster. When I see an interesting thread title, I want to see replies by people with hands on experience, there is a huge base of knowledge here. This is the most civil forum on the net, I hate too see it slip at all. I do confess to doing it myself when first here, so pot, meet kettle.

Hopefully I'm not speaking out of place.
    Last edited by ICTsnub; July 26th, 2011 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Horrid spelling errors
    OD*, adric22, ASSA9 and 5 others like this.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Welcome to the Internet, we've been waiting for you.

FWIW, I agree - it's just the way it is. I don't think some people really care what the question was, they just want someone else to get the same gear they bought to help make themselves feel better about their purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Welcome to the Internet, we've been waiting for you.

FWIW, I agree - it's just the way it is.
    Ah, but it doesn't have to be.

Administrator
    It is annoying, but its has been that way since the beginning of time. Sometimes I'll delete really bad posts, but we can't get 'em all all of the time.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    It's also a slippery slope. Often the OP will ask for opinions and when someone gives theirs they get jumped by the OP because they do not agree with the opinion given.

This is an internet forum and I understand that I will get EVERY kind of answer to a particular question that I ask. And one must develope thick skin and learn to accept constructive criticism.

But yes.... I know what you mean, and it gets old.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

VIP Member
    I agree.....it gets old, really old........persons opinions can be a huge asset on here
    however, when one is asking what 9mm JHP is recommended for carry, we don't need posts in reply telling them to get a .45 instead of I shoot ABC brand in my .40S&W
    or if I ask if anyone has experience with a sheath for XYZ knife I don't need to be told get the ABC brand knife instead......if I wanted the ABC brand knife I would have bought it already!!!

if an OP asks for info on a specific item/question....then reply with that specific info.....if you don't have experience/knowledge with that specific thing....then don't comment, its that simple....now if persons will take that to heart...............

and like AZJD1968 said......if OP asks for opinions on xxx and they then disagree/jump on people for giving that specific opinion....then shame on the OP
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Patience is a virtue. Or so I've been told. Hang in there and it will all come out in the wash. Me? I'm on spin cycle as of now.

I agree with you also.

Another favorite of mine is when a "Interesting thought on carrying unchambered" thread turns into a "You are an ignorant jerk because you don't chamber a round" thread.
    Last edited by rstickle; July 27th, 2011 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Language
    adric22 and Xader like this.

I understand some feel the need to post, but just start a thread about why your gear is better than the gear in question that offends you. Mission accomplished, you get the post counter to click another time, and the question thread stays clean.

Knowledge is actually on it's way out of fashion. Just like American history is on it's way out of public schools. Hands on experience? Can't you find that on EBay? Personally, I'll confess to anything so long as I get credit for whatever it was.
    I hate too see it slip at all.
    I hate seeing this country slip into the crapper like it has been. The forum and the internet? Well............

The thread that prompted me was by a brand new member, joined this month. Even with a moderator asking people to stop, posters continue the bash. He has not been back to DC for 5 days, and I don't blame him.

It's almost a Law of Weapons Forums, which can be stated thus:

"The odds of any post about guns generating the comment 'buy a Glock' or any post about knives generating 'buy a Spyderco,' if it goes past one page, approaches 1."
    And you're absolutely right. If you can't answer the OP's question or don't want to, then just chiming in about your own gear preferences isn't helpful. The grey area is where you believe the OP to be making a bad choice.

So maybe we can all just agree that everybody on Earth must carry a Glock 26 at 4:00 IWB with a Crossbreed Supertuck, with one in the chamber. But let's also allow that life is a learning process, and that we all arrive at the same place by different routes. Some guy wants to carry a 5-shot .22 revolver OWB appendix style, with an empty chamber under the hammer? Fine.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

ICTsnub and others, I apologize. I did not mean to cross that line as well as hijack the thread. Lesson Learned.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Some people don't stop to think about or read through their postings before sending. It may be some sort of instant gratification thing, you know, what with the new-fangled internets & all. Then again, some people are overly sensitive to certain feedback & aren't able to filter through the BS & move on.

The lack of face-to-face in this new age of 'communication' does seem to be producing more of the types prone to this type of malarky.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    The lack of face-to-face in this new age of 'communication' does seem to be producing more of the types prone to this type of malarky.
    Youtube is the worst. It doesn't matter what the subject matter, or who the author of the video is. It could be Steven Hawking talking about physics and guaranteed somebody would call him a moron mixed with a few "colorful metaphors." I believe it is mostly 13-year-olds doing it. They don't know how to communicate with more intelligent responses and with them everything is either black or white so the response has to be one extreme or another. In other words, they love the video, or the hate it. There is no in-between.

At least we don't have this problem here since our user base is a little older and more mature.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links