Why are so many people so rude here?

This is a discussion on Why are so many people so rude here? within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I'm a new member and think these boards are pretty respectful and on topic for the most part. Sometimes I read a post and roll ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: Why are so many people so rude here?

I'm a new member and think these boards are pretty respectful and on topic for the most part. Sometimes I read a post and roll my eyes (like when people bash a certain reputable gun company) and praise another but it doesn't bother me. I just read the threads that I am interested in.

Garbage in, garbage out.

2. Remove Ads

I've gotta say I've noticed it too, though not always. When it does rear its head, it's often (surprisingly) by more established members, some of whom I've observed seem to be very well respected here. As I've seen mentioned by others, it comes across as a little "high nosed" which is a shame, because reading those people's other posts it's plain they have great experiences and knowledge to offer.

The other instance in which I usually see hostility are political or politically-charged responses. That one's actually ironic because as far as I know there shouldn't be political discussion on here, but especially when opinions are expressed reflecting something less stringent than the prevailing general view such like minded folks like ourselves tend to have, some ugly undertones come out.

At the end of the day though, all things considered this is a pretty good forum so long as you bring a few grains of salt. I don't post a ton, and sometimes it's a little grating to see some of the cranky bears do their thing or to see the political thing creep out in other conversation, but there's plenty of entertainment and knowledge to be gained.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If you think this site is bad, check out some of the others! This one is tame in that aspect. Just as Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so is rudeness. What's perceived as rude may not have been the intent at all.

Personnally I don't mind repeditive threads; each offers a fresh perspective by someone. Each of us has the ability to skip any repeat thread.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Poor home training.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I was just thinking that its a bunch of grumpy old guys!

In all reality, I don't think my stay has been to rough here. The anonymity of the internet will always bring some worse out in some people, but for the most part, the demeanor has been enough to stick around for the education.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Look Not Everybody is wrapped to tight. some people just love to stir the pot. and some people just love a good fight or argument. and some are (know it alls). and some seem to think this is their own private little place just for them and their friends and everybody else is in their way... Most all of us come here for knowledge to learn and share their experiences. And some people have no respect for other people or anything else. We can all learn from other people the day (you think you know it all) is the day you should stop carrying a gun
    hyte likes this.

Yes,some of us do know it all,and we have "Risked it ALL to learn it,so thanks for pointing that out!
    Quote Originally Posted by CVarner View Post
    They know everything!!

Why are so many people so rude here?
    I'm not seeing so many rude people here. Anyway some rudeness isn't always so bad so long as it's delivered with a bit of style.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

What does the OP consider rude? Is it rude to correct the same person over and over again for not fact checking things and posting it. Is it rude call someone out for misleading people. My favorite example is ".380 is 9mm, they are the same". Is it rude to call out a troll. Is it rude to speak ones mind on a passionate issue (yes, I am guilty of that in the "USMC snipers may be in trouble" thread). Is it rude to just tell someone they are lying?

Rude is-not spending time to check facts
    Rude is-purposely misleading people
    Rude is-being a troll
    I can't defend myself on the last one, I was rude

I'll chime in and say that I've certainly had some bad experiences on here myself. Not lately, fortunately. I've learned that if you want to avoid starting fights around here, avoid posting any of the following:
    • Anything that requires a certain sense of humor.
    • Anything comparing one caliber to another.
    • Anything that suggest you support any sort of gun control, no matter how minor.
    • Anything that suggests there is a reason for somebody to carry unchambered.
    • Anything that has already been discussed in the last 6 months.
    • Anything related to religion.
    • Anything that suggests you might have liberal tendencies. (IE: You recycle, you drive anything but a large truck or SUV, you have ties with PETA, etc..)
    • You disagree with anything anyone else says.

Then of course there are things that are universally despised such as typing in all caps.

Having said all of that, there are some really nice folks around here. I've learned a lot of things from hanging around on here. I think my knowledge of gun laws for states outside of Texas has increased tremendously. I've certainly come to understand some other people's points of view on controversial topics. I've been forced to think about a lot of self defense scenarios that I've never considered before, which helps better mentally prepare me for what I should do in a similar situation without having to think about it when the time comes. I think that is probably the reason I keep coming back more than anything else.

I will also agree that some of the recent posts by newbies seem more like reading fiction than fact. However, unless it can be proven otherwise, I will still answer those with my best thoughts.
    RMS and ws76133 like this.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I'll chime in and say that I've certainly had some bad experiences on here myself. Not lately, fortunately. I've learned that if you want to avoid starting fights around here, avoid posting any of the following:

Anything comparing one caliber to another.
    I will agree with that with one stipulation: only .380 vs anything else causes a stir. Not that I am trying to start one now

For those of you that don't understand sarcasm or a joke, that was both

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    • Anything that requires a certain sense of humor.
    • Anything comparing one caliber to another.
    • Anything that suggest you support any sort of gun control, no matter how minor.
    • Anything that suggests there is a reason for somebody to carry unchambered.
    • Anything that has already been discussed in the last 6 months.
    • Anything related to religion.
    • Anything that suggests you might have liberal tendencies. (IE: You recycle, you drive anything but a large truck or SUV, you have ties with PETA, etc..)
    • You disagree with anything anyone else says.

Then of course there are things that are universally despised such as typing in all caps.

Having said all of that, there are some really nice folks around here. I've learned a lot of things from hanging around on here. I think my knowledge of gun laws for states outside of Texas has increased tremendously. I've certainly come to understand some other people's points of view on controversial topics. I've been forced to think about a lot of self defense scenarios that I've never considered before, which helps better mentally prepare me for what I should do in a similar situation without having to think about it when the time comes. I think that is probably the reason I keep coming back more than anything else.

I will also agree that some of the recent posts by newbies seem more like reading fiction than fact. However, unless it can be proven otherwise, I will still answer those with my best thoughts.
    You are spot on with this. Great post, especially the comment about the 8 statements that always cause a fight on this forum! So true.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

Welcome to an internet anonymous group. Well at least most of them. Some here may be acquainted in real life.

Rudeness is just a part of it because the atmosphere encourages it. Many folks can sit, type and click the "post quick reply" feature, then sit back and watch the fireworks. I believe that some of the "rude" people just get their kicks out of it. In reality, they would never have the intestinal fortitude to speak that way in person. Just like the phone conversations I have had in the past, the internet makes people brave.

I would say that just about everyone here has been a "victim" of rudeness or a bit of chastising that was taken for rudeness. I know that I have but really it cannot be taken too seriously unless it gets to an out and out war of words.

The Moderators do a splendid job of keeping the majority of us in line, hat's off to them, but it isn't a perfect world and we have to put up with things sometimes we do not like in order to enjoy the rest of this place.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I'm an IT guy. I do support work for a living in a very liberal environment. I work for the local school district. I'm one of the few truly conservative people. I have some more liberal based views on certain subjects because of my experiences in life though.

However, one recent thread about the potential actions of teachers raised my ire. As someone who knows many other independant (oftentimes thick-skinned and stubborn) people that are more liberal in general, but are conservative on certain issues. The lumping of all of the hundreds of people I have come to know over the past 11+ years got my blood boiling. That, and not knowing the facts about the CC situation in my state where broad (and unsupported) insinuations were made does not sit well with me. I too have been politically active (although not at this time) at the state level and probably know some of the same people (if they are part of AFT-WI anyways) the one person is talking about.

You have to understand one thing about those in education, we either get thick skinned, or we burn out. Not so much the people in some of the support jobs where we have a more limited student interaction (thankfully for me), but it is still there because many people were not raised like us. What I mean by that is simple enough, the kids got spared the rod and don't understand that they need to earn what they get. Most of the kids are good, but a growing number are not and they test your patience.

Which, even though I tend to be polite, nice, and neutral at work I don't have the time for that online. So I end being more blunt with my phrasing of my responses. It's nothing personal.

Welcome to an internet anonymous group. Well at least most of them. Some here may be acquainted in real life.

Rudeness is just a part of it because the atmosphere encourages it. Many folks can sit, type and click the "post quick reply" feature, then sit back and watch the fireworks. I believe that some of the "rude" people just get their kicks out of it. In reality, they would never have the intestinal fortitude to speak that way in person. Just like the phone conversations I have had in the past, the internet makes people brave.

I would say that just about everyone here has been a "victim" of rudeness or a bit of chastising that was taken for rudeness. I know that I have but really it cannot be taken too seriously unless it gets to an out and out war of words.

The Moderators do a splendid job of keeping the majority of us in line, hat's off to them, but it isn't a perfect world and we have to put up with things sometimes we do not like in order to enjoy the rest of this place.

^^^^^^ A lot of truth in this post...^^^^^^

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links