Why are so many people so rude here?

This is a discussion on Why are so many people so rude here? within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Originally Posted by 21bubba If it's a common question then search would be your friend. There is almost a rotating mix of the same questions ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: Why are so many people so rude here?

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    If it's a common question then search would be your friend. There is almost a rotating mix of the same questions over and over.
    Very true! I am guilty of asking a question before doing research from time to time. Then I do a double take and question my level of commmon sense. If I do that - call me on it. As I get older the less I know.

2. Remove Ads

They need to check IDs at the door but we all know that wont happen so you get kids with nothing to do making thinks up. Just ignore them and move on

To the OP I will say I am a member of sveral forums, and this is by far the best regulated and moderated forum on the internet. Yes there are people who will tend to be rude, but like Hotguns said earlier. Hit the report button and if it happens very much they wont be here long.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I'll chime in and say that I've certainly had some bad experiences on here myself. Not lately, fortunately. I've learned that if you want to avoid starting fights around here, avoid posting any of the following:
    • Anything that requires a certain sense of humor.
    • Anything comparing one caliber to another.
    • Anything that suggest you support any sort of gun control, no matter how minor.
    • Anything that suggests there is a reason for somebody to carry unchambered.
    • Anything that has already been discussed in the last 6 months.
    • Anything related to religion.
    • Anything that suggests you might have liberal tendencies. (IE: You recycle, you drive anything but a large truck or SUV, you have ties with PETA, etc..)
    • You disagree with anything anyone else says.

Then of course there are things that are universally despised such as typing in all caps.

Having said all of that, there are some really nice folks around here. I've learned a lot of things from hanging around on here. I think my knowledge of gun laws for states outside of Texas has increased tremendously. I've certainly come to understand some other people's points of view on controversial topics. I've been forced to think about a lot of self defense scenarios that I've never considered before, which helps better mentally prepare me for what I should do in a similar situation without having to think about it when the time comes. I think that is probably the reason I keep coming back more than anything else.

I will also agree that some of the recent posts by newbies seem more like reading fiction than fact. However, unless it can be proven otherwise, I will still answer those with my best thoughts.
    Hey, you! I recycle! Who are you calling a liberal? I'm a conservative because I choose to conserve! How rude....
    Rock and Glock and varob like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    and sometimes its how something is presented more so that what that something is.

knowledge by many here comes from decades of exposure to guns ( and ya, like driving a car, some do not improve with duration or experience),
    so if asking for input from the forum, listen to what is offered. sometimes your position is indefensible cause you lack the knowledge to form a valid opinion.
    is that not why you are asking a question? to gain knowledge. even if it runs contrary to your beliefs?

a forum is for sharing knowledge and if you are not having a pleasant time--don't go there and don't do that.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I think that my being disposed towards being a 'gun owner' also predisposes me to be a rude internet person.

... I kid, I kid.

Naw, don't let the rudeness get to you. Some people are good. Some aren't good. The beauty is that the 'good' people here are also nicely useful, so there's not much lost by skimming over the people you don't get along with.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

This is, by far, the friendliest forum I read. I try to take most everything with a generous helping of salt and remember that sarcasm and tongue-in-cheek do not always come across so well in print. Smiley face thingys help a lot there.

It took awhile for me to learn more about gun stuff, the culture, attitudes, sayings, etc. I did a lot of reading before I started posting here. That said, this is the only gun forum I visit almost daily.
    mook012 likes this.

VIP Member
    It also helps to consider the source. This being a community, by definition has many different personalities.

A off comment from one member may tick me off, where the exact same comment from another, I would take as a show of affection.

A off comment from one member may tick me off, where the exact same comment from another, I would take as a show of affection.
    AAAwwwwwwwwwwww................Group Hug
    suntzu, Hopyard and mook012 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    AAAwwwwwwwwwwww................Group Hug
    See? Lots O' love here!

Administrator
    "grow thick skin". Is this a way to tell folks you are tougher than they are and they need to be as tough as you to handle it? I sure hope not. I do agree, however, that it takes a certain level of dermal density to survive on Internet forums.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No...that is not what I am saying. I mean that it is important for members not to give every post by every member the importance or weight of it being like it's an amendment to the Constitution of the U.S.

It can only ever be a comment from some unknown individual who you will likely never meet and who may just be having a bad day.

Keep in mind that there are MANY anonymous people "out there" and a certain percentage of them are permanent asshats.
    Not everybody is going to agree with you. Everybody is not going to type the exact response that you'll expect to read.

If there blatantly RUDE post simply report it. Do not respond to it. When you reply and then other members jump in an otherwise good thread will be turned into a jumbled piece of off-topic crap. Then a moderator will need to step in and start deleting multiple posts which then become invisible and that causes the entire thread to lack continuity and make no sense to other members clicking on that thread.

It is far better to just ignore a comment (or report it) for Moderator Determination than to get all "bent out of shape" and respond to it.

There are many times when a member will type a comment that is NOT a specific forum rule violation but, at the same time it will be a comment that you may not particularly appreciate. That would be a great time to just "man up" (grow that thicker skin) and ignore it for the sake of the discussion thread.

Moderators cannot delete posted comments just because another member has a differing opinion and it's not perfectly presented.
    mook012 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    See? Lots O' love here!

I like that smiley.... pretty funny.
    Hopyard likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Administrator
    Those of you who know of me on DC know that I'll always prefer that members be respectful and helpful to other forum members.

Especially to new members who may not be Internet Forum Savvy.

Also some new members may join and have a personal opinion that multitudes AKA the vast majority of other members believe to be completely idiotic.

If you jump onto the forum and start out by singing praises about your newly purchased Concealed Carry Badge and adamantly & endlessly insist that it's the greatest idea/invention since Frozen Toast....there will be precious little that moderators can do to save you.

Well, we can delete your thread but, that is about all we can do to stem the onslaught of neverending inevitable negative comments.

So...a rare few of you may just have to accept the fact that you are (in the eyes of others) a complete noodnick and "thankfully" you'll probably leave on your own before too long.

That probably sounds harsh but, it has proved to be nonetheless true.
    SIGguy229, wmhawth and JD like this.

Yankee members

Anyway some rudeness isn't always so bad so long as it's delivered with a bit of style.
    That is hysterical. Style is everythangggggggg........

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links