Why are so many people so rude here? - Page 7

Why are so many people so rude here?

This is a discussion on Why are so many people so rude here? within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Originally Posted by marcclarke Arguing a point that you don't actually support is quintessentially rude. You waste the time of people who take their time ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: Why are so many people so rude here?

Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    Arguing a point that you don't actually support is quintessentially rude. You waste the time of people who take their time to honestly reply to you.
    Not if it is a topic that has qualities and quantifiable views from both directions. I do not usually ask the question but the more all parties learn about the views, statistics and over all stances bring light and knowledge to the question asked. The more informed an individual is about all sides of a subject is essential in any debate. In college writing courses you may have to take an opposing view per the professor for just this reason, it forces one to do much more research and gain a greater understanding. I cannot agree with your statement of "quintessentially rude". I come to the forums to expand my knowledge as well as enjoy myself and am under the impression from many of the debates I have partaken in that a large quantity of the people on this and other forums do the same. I view this as a contribution not a contradiction. To be honest it can take much more of my time to play the devil’s advocate than to simply concede to a point of view. I do not get rude, or attack anyone I simply argue a different perspective.
    Take it how you will.
    Pat
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

VIP Member
    I don't think that it is rude, pfires, if you argue a point to the best of your ability respecting rational persuasion and bringing nothing but facts that you can substantiate. Because, in that case, it doesn't matter what you are arguing but how you present the belief as worthy of human consumption. Good debate is healthy. People gotta learn to stretch their minds - they won't break.
    pfries likes this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

VIP Member
    Still, thinking is a dangerous thing. Especially if one thinks that they know something when the correct post is, "I really don't know". But how often do you see that on the internet?
    But this site has a feature that apparently no one has mentioned: the "ignore" list. I'm sure that my literary style and wit has earned me a place on a few; and I'm no stranger to its use. So if you're offended beyond just skipping, banish the offender to your "ignore" bin. You'll still see their name when they post. You just don't have to smell their presumptuous, uneducated
    To put a user in your ignore list, just left-click the offender's username hyperlink and click, view profile. Once there, in the upper left, click, Add to ignore list. If the dolt says something quotable, one of the more respected forum members will quote in response. Otherwise, it's one less irritation to thin skin.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

You shouldn't really let the same questions cycling around bother you. It's not like there is just one idiot asking the same question over and over, and some people arent really internet savvy...I know im not. So the next time you see "WHAT GLOCK SHOULD I BUY NEXT!?!?" dont let it get under your skin...just read another post.
    Herknav likes this.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    I don't think that it is rude, pfires, if you argue a point to the best of your ability respecting rational persuasion and bringing nothing but facts that you can substantiate. Because, in that case, it doesn't matter what you are arguing but how you present the belief as worthy of human consumption. Good debate is healthy. People gotta learn to stretch their minds - they won't break.
    And if one is arguing a point that one does not personally espouse, it is common courtesy and consideration to let every one know that.
    suntzu likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    And if one is arguing a point that one does not personally espouse, it is common courtesy and consideration to let every one know that.
    I agree with that 100 percent. No problem playing devils advocate. But if you don't state that and I see conflicting ideals from the same person in different threads I will the think: Troll, or moron and I won't beleive anything they say which negates any real factual information they might have. And if they give a "this happened to me" story I will ignore it.
    marcclarke likes this.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links