Why are so many people so rude here?

This is a discussion on Why are so many people so rude here? within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Let me preface this with the fact that I have learned a ton from people on this forum and many people are very pleasant and ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: Why are so many people so rude here?

Let me preface this with the fact that I have learned a ton from people on this forum and many people are very pleasant and helpful. But there seems to be a large quantity of people from total newbies to "Contributing Members" that are terribly rude, especially to new members. If someone posts a message and it's a common question, perhaps help them out and post links to other threads instead of ridiculing them. Telling someone their question is stupid just takes more time than not saying anything, and helps not make you look like a jerk. It's not even little things that people misinterpret, it's the internet, that'll happen. But people being overtly rude and disrespectful...I don't know what it is but I needed to vent because it's really getting out of hand
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

They know everything!!
    mkphillips likes this.

Its just a microcosm of the real world. There are nice and not so nice people in the real world, and the anonymous nature of the internet tends to make some people bigger jerks than they would be in person so it skews the odds even more.

I'll jump on board and say that sometimes humor can kick in for me and I'll jump in with a quip. I've recently posted a comment that we've had several FIRST TIME posters with LONG LONG weird first posts that have a lot of drama and then they never post again. I guess those are made up and I tend to lean toward calling them out.

I will say however that I believe the only dumb question is the one that you don't ask...so if it's a legit question...it should not be met with ridicule.

I ain't perfect....and hope I'm not one of those contributing to the situations that you are mentioning.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    If it's a common question then search would be your friend. There is almost a rotating mix of the same questions over and over.
    Olduser, SIGguy229, Moga and 1 others like this.

Senior Moderator
    natimage, we do pride ourselves in being a very respectful and considerate forum here. Our mod staff is pretty limited and we don't get to all of the threads and read all of the posts. If you, or anyone, sees anything that is rude or out of line we encourage the membership to report the post and the staff will evaluate it and do what we feel is appropriate.

We have a pretty good place here and sometimes with an influx of new members comes new blood and new issues that get missed by the staff. If you have any examples of what you speak of please message one of the mods and we will took into it.

However, we do not like to see any of that dirty laundry aired in the open forum. If there is an issue it should be taken to a moderator in private.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by natimage View Post
    Let me preface this with the fact that I have learned a ton from people on this forum and many people are very pleasant and helpful. But there seems to be a large quantity of people from total newbies to "Contributing Members" that are terribly rude, especially to new members. If someone posts a message and it's a common question, perhaps help them out and post links to other threads instead of ridiculing them. Telling someone their question is stupid just takes more time than not saying anything, and helps not make you look like a jerk. It's not even little things that people misinterpret, it's the internet, that'll happen. But people being overtly rude and disrespectful...I don't know what it is but I needed to vent because it's really getting out of hand
    It's an internet thing.
    bigmacque likes this.

Senior Moderator
    If you see something that you think is rude, click on the report feature at the bottom of each block. This will send a message to the Mod Section and whoever reads it first will act accordingly. Thats the small triangular icon with the exclamation point in it.

Sometimes posts come across as rude when they were not intended to be that way due to a wrtiting style or a dry sense of humor. Some posts are by very knowledgable people that tend to forget that a newbie might not understand everything they are saying. Some posts are rude because new people dont understand that we dont allow a lot of the crap that other forums see as routine, they either get in line or they dont last long.
    jumpwing, Bark'n, poppy37 and 2 others like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I will start by saying this is friendlier than many other gun forums I have checked out. As with any microcosm of society, the fun for all can be ruined by a few. Ironic, as it is a relative few that cause us to have to be concerned with CC in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    sometimes with an influx of new members comes new blood and new issues that get missed by the staff.
    Sadly most of the rude/unhelpful responses I have seen have been from members with over 1k posts, so it is not necessarily the new blood. For me personally, I have chosen to browse the forum, answer posts when I feel I have something to add and leave it at that. I saw quickly there was no need to post a new question for the simple reason if there was something I needed to know it had probably already been discussed or it was 'important' enough that I needed to do my homework elsewhere (State website, attorney, manufacturer etc.)
    My biggest issue is with the large number of posts advising/promoting/encouraging others (usually new carriers) to blatantly disregard the applicable laws b/c they don't feel that particular law is applicable/important for them and their rights are more important that others. I wonder why some even got their CC license to carry as opposed to just carrying without one if they are going to choose not to follow the law, not only to the letter, but also the clear intent.
    Rock and Glock and Hopyard like this.

There are always going to be folks who really need to chill, big-time. What they don't realize is that everyone figures them out pretty fast, then they have little credibility and become comic relief...
    Rock and Glock likes this.

The beauty of Internet forums are like friends, you can move around until you what and where is a good fit. I must say, out of he 6-7 gun forums I frequent on a weekly basis, this forum and the High Road (not sure if I am allowed to mention) are by far the most friendly and accepting-especially of new members. Sometimes people just don't realize the the things they post are "out there" a bit and catch it a little. Hang in there, thicken up- this is really one of the very best forums on the net- and most friendly. Group hug.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Senior Moderator
    One also need to remember that we have people from all 50 states here, so what may be legal in one state may not be legal in another, as well as actual application. What may be considered as routine behavior in Arizona, may get someone in a northern state a visit from the local SWAT team.

For some reason, many posters either forget that or never understood that what they are used to is not universal, so some of the responses must be taken with a grain of salt.
    gasmitty, Bark'n, Hopyard and 1 others like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Aiko View Post
    . Group hug.
    It's all warm and fuzzy now.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Distinguished Member
    I actually think this is one of the most respectful forums I am currently and have ever been on. For the most part I think everyone tries to be helpful but we are all human and have our moments.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Thumbs up It Works Out

I had noticed that myself too, and hope I am not guilty, but may in fact be guilty, but it usually levels out here after the initial period. The Forum has some fantastic moderators that are patient and fair, and some that even know what they're talking about. Actually, they are a great group, I just like to pull their chains occasionally. We have some great members that will share everything they know willingly, and it all adds up to a generally excellent Forum.

Give it some time - these things generally self-correct. Good folks stay and learn and contribute , fire-starters get bored and leave. Welcome from Colorado.

And it has great smilies.
    Bark'n, stevem174 and claude clay like this.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links