Virus issues--possibly from this site or its advertisers-- AGAIN

This is a discussion on Virus issues--possibly from this site or its advertisers-- AGAIN within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; You had to click on something - Usually a very convincing looking SECURITY ALERT in order to pick up "Internet Security 2012 " And just ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Virus issues--possibly from this site or its advertisers-- AGAIN

Administrator
    You had to click on something - Usually a very convincing looking SECURITY ALERT in order to pick up "Internet Security 2012 "

And just by X-ing off of it - you're (in reality) doing a hidden installation.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    You had to click on something - Usually a very convincing looking SECURITY ALERT in order to pick up "Internet Security 2012 "

QKShooter is correct. A deviant programmer of viruses is going to make sure that no matter what you click on the application that they put on your screen, it will grant the application the administrative authority to override any virus controls. The safest way to deal with one of these grinning gremlins that offer to 'help' you (assuming that you're running some flavor of Microsoft) is to press ctrl-alt-delete and bring up task manager. Then select the application that is attempting to interact with you, and kill it. You're essentially wiping it out of memory, and by not interacting with it, are not giving it permission to circumvent your virus protection and make itself at home on your hard drive.

My computer has been infected twice by this virus with a third unsuccessful attempt. None were from this site. Malwarebytes cleaned it off each time but I had Windows errors after removing it that required me to delete my profile and recreate it. Since then, any time I see this malware pop up, I just shutdown the computer and when I restart the malware isn't there. If you click on the X to close the program it will still infect your computer. As WHEC724 said, I think you can also avoid it by killing Internet Explorer or whatever web browser you are using from Task Manager to prevent infection as well. I got so tired of dealing with this fake antivirus that I wiped my personal laptop and install the Ubuntu Linux operating system.

VIP Member

I did click to close it; stupid in hindsight, but there was more stuff than this scam ware slid into my computer. I was using Firefox, but the other desktop was logged in and has IE, though I think it was not running.

I ran a full scan with two programs but can't get rid of the remnants.

Looks like I'll have a fun filled afternoon or weekend --- I won't play with this for now.

If an admin see this I'd still like for them to look at their logs and check if I was in fact here at 8:16:55 central time. If so, and I think that is the case, either this site or one of the advertisers is the culprit.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

The one time that I had a virus on my pc, was unfortunately from this site.

Malwarebytes cleared it up for me..
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    It sounds like there is a new variant of the malware called Antivir out now.
    @Hopyard, if you continue to have trouble removing it, I recommend you stop by this forum: -Virus/Spyware discussion Forum - Tek-Tips (tek-tips.com virus spyware forum). They guys there are extremely knowledgeable and should be able to get you up and running again.

For the future, you might want to look into using a browser such as Firefox with adblock plus or noscript.
    Firefox is really good!! I haven't had the virus problems I used to have With Internet Explorer!! The Hackers work real well with IE!! Just browse for Firefox and it will show the link to Free download!
    NRA Member
    Ruger LC9
    Taurus PT92 AF
    Mosin-Nagant 91/30 (2)
    If you are going to shoot at Mimes, should you use a silencer?? ( Steven Wright)

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I do not think this site is to blame. AVG AntiVirus Free (you should not be paying for AV these days), firefox, adblock plus, common sense.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

VIP Member
    You guys make me so glad I have MAC's!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

That is not true. There are plenty of ways to have a "drive by download" where simply opening a website will infect your PC. Typically it is done through security holes in flash, Java, or adobe reader. I think Adobe reader counts for about 50% of all malware infections. Due to my profession in the I.T. field, I have had to spend extensive time studying methods of infection. I setup a whole lab once with about 20 computers and found some infected websites and had each computer go to the websites and I monitored different methods of install.

Yes, there are plenty of malware out there that require the user to click something. We've all seen them. However, I can assure you it is not necessary.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you are going to use a Windows based PC, and want to browse the web safely do these things:
    • Open your adobe reader, go to preferenecs, javascript, and disable javascript. or, use a different PDF reader completely such as Sumatra.
    • Use Firefox or Chrome and install flashblock or something similar to block flash plugins.
    • Also use an ad-blocking tool on your browser.
    • Keep your Java up to date, or disable it.
    • keep your windows up to date.

If you follow that list of instructions you can browse the web fairly safely even without any sort of anti-virus. Of course, you can always just get a Mac or switch to Linux. But I understand most people can't make that transition.

Norton is useless except to slow your machine down and annoy you with messages telling you how it constantly saved you from this or that attack (telling you exactly what you want to hear, but it is BS). McAffee is about the same. AVG is a little better. It is like walking through a battlefield with a bullet-proof vest. It raises your chances, but is by no means any guarantee. Malware Bytes is an excellent tool for removing that junk from your system once you are infected. Not sure how well it does for prevention. I'm studying that aspect of it right now.
    Chesafreak and Chad Rogers like this.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    I do not think this site is to blame. AVG AntiVirus Free (you should not be paying for AV these days), firefox, adblock plus, common sense.
    Maybe, maybe not. As a computer systems engineer I see users getting malware infections while visiting many legitimate websites. Any website that allows user input and stores the input in a database may be vulverable to SQL injection, XSS, etc. which is what hackers use to plant malware on legit sites. Even HP's user forum was once hacked to infect any visitor. I recently had to stop visiting one of my favorite websites (thechive.com) because every time I viewed thier site Antivirus 2012 malware attempted to infect my computer. Your claim of common sense being a factor is baseless. I see some very brilliant people getting virus infections because they click the X at the top right hand corner of the window (which is common sense to do for the average computer user) and they still get infected. Hackers that design malware are always finding new ways to trick you or get around your defenses. I have been into computers since the DOS days and I can tell you that regardless of what antivirus software you use, some malware will eventually get through.

There are two ways to prevent getting infected: Stay off the internet, or switch your operating system to Linux. My brother and mom are both computer tards and were always calling me to fix the frequent malware infections they got. I put Ubuntu Linux on their laptops and no more malware after almost a year. Ubuntu was so easy to learn for them that I didn't even have to tell them how to use it they just hit the ground running.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I did click to close it; stupid in hindsight, but there was more stuff than this scam ware slid into my computer. I was using Firefox, but the other desktop was logged in and has IE, though I think it was not running.

I ran a full scan with two programs but can't get rid of the remnants.

Looks like I'll have a fun filled afternoon or weekend --- I won't play with this for now.

If an admin see this I'd still like for them to look at their logs and check if I was in fact here at 8:16:55 central time. If so, and I think that is the case, either this site or one of the advertisers is the culprit.
    I ran into one of these a year or so back on my home theater computer. I spent hours trying to eradicate the darned thing. Turned out that my antivirus software provider (ESET NOD32) had a specific tool that could be downloaded to deal with it. Took about 30 seconds and all was cleared.

So you might want to check the web site of whatever software you use for AV. The tools installed on your computer will not likely work, but they may have something that you can download to deal with the problem.

Good luck,
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you are going to use a Windows based PC, and want to browse the web safely do these things:
    • Open your adobe reader, go to preferenecs, javascript, and disable javascript. or, use a different PDF reader completely such as Sumatra.
    • Use Firefox or Chrome and install flashblock or something similar to block flash plugins.
    • Also use an ad-blocking tool on your browser.
    • Keep your Java up to date, or disable it.
    • keep your windows up to date.
    Good advice, and I'll add one more thing that works better than anything else I have found. Most home computer users, and shamefully many business users, are running as administrative users. Over 80 percent of malware would be blocked by locking down computers to have users run as non admins. As a test, my ex wife's laptop was run WITHOUT ANY ANTIVIRUS for over 18 months before she got her first virus infection. I gave her the admin password and told her that if she was prompted for the password, unless she was trying to install something or change a system setting to click no or cancel. That works extremely well. Even as a non admin user, some malware like Antivirus 2012 are still able to infect the user profile only and not the whole system. In this case we simply delete the user profile and the malware is gone.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. As a computer systems engineer I see users getting malware infections while visiting many legitimate websites. Any website that allows user input and stores the input in a database may be vulverable to SQL injection, XSS, etc. which is what hackers use to plant malware on legit sites. Even HP's user forum was once hacked to infect any visitor. I recently had to stop visiting one of my favorite websites (thechive.com) because every time I viewed thier site Antivirus 2012 malware attempted to infect my computer. Your claim of common sense being a factor is baseless. I see some very brilliant people getting virus infections because they click the X at the top right hand corner of the window (which is common sense to do for the average computer user) and they still get infected. Hackers that design malware are always finding new ways to trick you or get around your defenses. I have been into computers since the DOS days and I can tell you that regardless of what antivirus software you use, some malware will eventually get through.

There are two ways to prevent getting infected: Stay off the internet, or switch your operating system to Linux. My brother and mom are both computer tards and were always calling me to fix the frequent malware infections they got. I put Ubuntu Linux on their laptops and no more malware after almost a year. Ubuntu was so easy to learn for them that I didn't even have to tell them how to use it they just hit the ground running.
    I would also recommend Ubuntu or some form of Linux, as that's what I use at home.
    noway2 likes this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Combofix should handle it. Most of the time you have to run it in safe mode. Also, it could have came from anywhere. This type of thing has been around for several years, it just gets renamed. I deal with it on a daily basis. If you do any type of computer repair, you will learn quick that spyware is about 85% of your work. Best way to clean it up is to boot a third party program and access your files and remove the infection. For XP, it is usually located under Docs and Settings/username/local settings/application data. There you will see gibberish .exe files. Just remove them. Again, it is really hard to tell where the infection came from.

VIP Member
    I got hacked through Windows Live the first time I turned my newest laptop on and connected to the internet. Internet Explorer has also provided ample hacking oppotunities in the past, so many that it is no longer installed on my computer.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links