Virus issues--possibly from this site or its advertisers-- AGAIN

This is a discussion on Virus issues--possibly from this site or its advertisers-- AGAIN within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; adric22 - Just relaying how my Wife picked up Internet Security 2012. She got a security alert pop-up that she strongly suspected was fake alert ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 62
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Virus issues--possibly from this site or its advertisers-- AGAIN

  1. #31
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Off Of The X
    Posts
    35,126
    adric22 - Just relaying how my Wife picked up Internet Security 2012. She got a security alert pop-up that she strongly suspected was fake alert and "X-ed" off of it.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #32
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    11,588
    Just a quick update--- My XP machine is screwed. I was able to go back in time and get my printer working, but new trojan exploits, java script crap, and one original --I think it is the first one I mentioned, I can't get rid of. Will have to work on that later. Meanwhile, it became apparent that even with two open antivirus program there was network
    traffic happening in the background that should not have been. I had to shut the machine down, and in a few moments I am going to start
    changing all of my critical pass words-- g-d knows what has been stolen or what has surreptitiously been put onto my machine.

    For now, that XP machine is useless as far as on-line stuff goes.

    The thing to keep in mind is that I have had reasonable precautions in place; was using firefox not IE; was running ME, and was running Threat Fire-- which is a really nice little
    program.

    Whatever -whoever- got me got in and turned off ME, then tricked me into clicking on the Internet Security 2012 icon; that triggered the Threat Fire to alarm, but it was too late.

    I still think it came from here or from an advertiser here but of course I can not be certain.

    I'm not even sure it is going to be worth my trouble to try to fix the infected machine. I think I might take some documents and photos off of there and take a sledge hammer to
    it.

    I am really really lucky that I got this iMac 5 weeks back or so.

    Now, for those who feel safe and don't use anti-virus software on their MAC, THAT is a mistake. My wife has gone to one obscure travel site and the Trend antivirus for Apple that I have running intercepted one.

    Ok, gotta scoot and start changing passwords.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

  4. #33
    Ex Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    6,960
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Just a quick update--- My XP machine is screwed. I was able to go back in time and get my printer working, but new trojan exploits, java script crap, and one original --I think it is the first one I mentioned, I can't get rid of. Will have to work on that later. Meanwhile, it became apparent that even with two open antivirus program there was network
    traffic happening in the background that should not have been. I had to shut the machine down, and in a few moments I am going to start
    changing all of my critical pass words-- g-d knows what has been stolen or what has surreptitiously been put onto my machine.

    For now, that XP machine is useless as far as on-line stuff goes.

    The thing to keep in mind is that I have had reasonable precautions in place; was using firefox not IE; was running ME, and was running Threat Fire-- which is a really nice little
    program.

    Whatever -whoever- got me got in and turned off ME, then tricked me into clicking on the Internet Security 2012 icon; that triggered the Threat Fire to alarm, but it was too late.

    I still think it came from here or from an advertiser here but of course I can not be certain.

    I'm not even sure it is going to be worth my trouble to try to fix the infected machine. I think I might take some documents and photos off of there and take a sledge hammer to
    it.

    I am really really lucky that I got this iMac 5 weeks back or so.

    Now, for those who feel safe and don't use anti-virus software on their MAC, THAT is a mistake. My wife has gone to one obscure travel site and the Trend antivirus for Apple that I have running intercepted one.

    Ok, gotta scoot and start changing passwords.
    Hopy run maleware bytes first then combo fix... If your xp machine will not let you run maleware bytes, run combo fix anyways. It should take care of anything your pc is affected by. Once you run it once try maleware bytes again, then combo fix again....ComboFix | freeware

  5. #34
    Senior Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,133
    Yikes, affected again? Or never got rid of it in the first place?

    Things to make sure you do use on windows:
    -Firefox/Chrome/other
    -Adblock plus
    -AVG Antivirus - free is just fine.
    -Upgrade from XP if possible. Skip Vista, if at all possible. XP is usually fine, but is much much less secure now that it is unsupported.

    Thangs to make sure you DON'T use on windows:
    -Internet Explorer
    -Macafee/Norton Antivirus. These AV's will plague your computer just as bad as a virus, and they won't stop you from being infected. They are also darn near impossible to uninstall.
    -Random Toolbars/Add-Ons
    -Which leads to... .EXE's. Watch what you are installing carefully. Don't let programs sneak toolbars, 3rd party programs, or anything that looks suspicious onto your machine by bundling them into an install file.

    If you are running the above programs, and still get infected, you are doing something wrong. Clicking no-no links, downloading stuff you shouldn't be (especially torrent files) will get you infected. Allowing pop-ups will potentially get you infected. I have been adhering to the simple things that I just listed, and haven't had a virus in a decade. I definitely learned the hard way around y2k and got some nasty bugs that trashed my OS.

  6. #35
    VIP Member Array Eagleks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    7,645
    I have to run scans every little bit while on this site, although I don't on any others ... it seems to be a continual thing.
    It's a pain, and I got many of the same answers... seems no one was interested in 'cleaning ' the system.....
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

  7. #36
    Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,442
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Just a quick update--- My XP machine is screwed. I was able to go back in time and get my printer working, but new trojan exploits, java script crap, and one original --I think it is the first one I mentioned, I can't get rid of. Will have to work on that later. Meanwhile, it became apparent that even with two open antivirus program there was network
    traffic happening in the background that should not have been. I had to shut the machine down, and in a few moments I am going to start
    changing all of my critical pass words-- g-d knows what has been stolen or what has surreptitiously been put onto my machine.

    For now, that XP machine is useless as far as on-line stuff goes.

    The thing to keep in mind is that I have had reasonable precautions in place; was using firefox not IE; was running ME, and was running Threat Fire-- which is a really nice little
    program.

    Whatever -whoever- got me got in and turned off ME, then tricked me into clicking on the Internet Security 2012 icon; that triggered the Threat Fire to alarm, but it was too late.

    I still think it came from here or from an advertiser here but of course I can not be certain.

    I'm not even sure it is going to be worth my trouble to try to fix the infected machine. I think I might take some documents and photos off of there and take a sledge hammer to
    it.

    I am really really lucky that I got this iMac 5 weeks back or so.

    Now, for those who feel safe and don't use anti-virus software on their MAC, THAT is a mistake. My wife has gone to one obscure travel site and the Trend antivirus for Apple that I have running intercepted one.

    Ok, gotta scoot and start changing passwords.
    Hopyard, get your files off of it and then download a copy of ububtu (linux) and give it a try in place of xp, you might love it! Way more secure than windows, constantly updated, easy to use, run a lot faster, more reliable and free! You couldn't ask for a better reason than a strangled old xp machine to give Linux a try.

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    noway2 likes this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

  8. #37
    Senior Member Array adric22's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    1,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    -Macafee/Norton Antivirus. These AV's will plague your computer just as bad as a virus, and they won't stop you from being infected. They are also darn near impossible to uninstall.
    Hahah. I couldn't agree more. Those two are very popular with the masses who don't know any better thanks to large advertising budgets. But ask any IT person like myself and we'll give it to you straight. In most cases, I would rather have my computer infected with viruses than run Norton. It is actually worse than a virus. It makes your computer almost unusable, and is darned near impossible to get rid of it.
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

  9. #38
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    11,588
    UPDATE-- After agreeing to pay Microsoft 99 bucks + tax they have been working on it now for almost 4 hours.

    This is one of the few times I've actually had customer service that seemed to know what they were doing and how to do it. It has not been trivial.

    Their own diagnostic software couldn't find all the malware. They eventually downloaded Malwarebytes and ran that. Now they are in the midst of doing yet
    another full virus scan. That plus lots and lots of additional diagnostic and remedial work; Removing lots of files where the virus hides.

    I'm worn out watching them and tickled I bought this new computer a few weeks back.

    Its been a frustrating time. Everyone, watch out for "Internet Security 2012" and for "Win32/fakesysdef " and some other win 32 trojans.


    I spent an hour this afternoon changing user names and passwords on financially sensitive site.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

  10. #39
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    11,588
    Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Hopyard, get your files off of it and then download a copy of ububtu (linux) and give it a try in place of xp, you might love it! Way more secure than windows, constantly updated, easy to use, run a lot faster, more reliable and free! You couldn't ask for a better reason than a strangled old xp machine to give Linux a try.

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    That is something I've been thinking about for a long time but have always been afraid to try. If after giving Microcrap this chance and money to fix what just happened I get another problem, it will be solved either as you suggest or with a sledge hammer.

    When I go to the gym for my H2H stuff I sometimes swing a 10 lb sledge for a few wacks; just because. Maybe one of these days the HD from that XP machine will be
    at the end of the swing. I've got my piece of hard rock to put it on already picked out.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

  11. #40
    VIP Member Array zacii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    arizona
    Posts
    3,749
    Rather than the sledge hammer, computers make for nice, entertaining targets just sayin'
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

    "A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

  12. #41
    Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,442
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    That is something I've been thinking about for a long time but have always been afraid to try. If after giving Microcrap this chance and money to fix what just happened I get another problem, it will be solved either as you suggest or with a sledge hammer.

    When I go to the gym for my H2H stuff I sometimes swing a 10 lb sledge for a few wacks; just because. Maybe one of these days the HD from that XP machine will be
    at the end of the swing. I've got my piece of hard rock to put it on already picked out.
    If you do to that route and have any questions, feel free to pm me and ask, its an intuitive operating system, but different for people who have never used it before. Doing the install once you have it on a disk is pretty much just like installing windows on an empty hard drive via disk if you have ever done that.

    If you go the other route I would be disappointed....that you didn't take it to the gun range!

    Good luck man .

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

  13. #42
    Senior Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,133
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    UPDATE-- After agreeing to pay Microsoft 99 bucks + tax they have been working on it now for almost 4 hours.

    This is one of the few times I've actually had customer service that seemed to know what they were doing and how to do it. It has not been trivial.

    Their own diagnostic software couldn't find all the malware. They eventually downloaded Malwarebytes and ran that. Now they are in the midst of doing yet
    another full virus scan. That plus lots and lots of additional diagnostic and remedial work; Removing lots of files where the virus hides.

    I'm worn out watching them and tickled I bought this new computer a few weeks back.

    Its been a frustrating time. Everyone, watch out for "Internet Security 2012" and for "Win32/fakesysdef " and some other win 32 trojans.


    I spent an hour this afternoon changing user names and passwords on financially sensitive site.
    $100.00 for a diagnostic and scan??? Personally, I would have backed up my data files, wiped my drive, installed this OS, and re-installed my programs.

    Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade $110.00 10% off and free shipping.


    Sure, its a little work, but it is worth it in the end. You would be up to date with securities, have the best OS to ever hit the market from Microsoft, and be future proof for programs that will no longer support XP.

  14. #43
    Senior Member Array Divebum47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
    Hopyard - go to the Malwarebytes site below, download their free version, then run a "deep scan" that takes awhile. This is the best there is for finding and purging imbeded malware if that's your problem......
    Malwarebytes : Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO removes malware including viruses, spyware, worms and trojans, plus it protects your computer

    Once you've run that medicine through your machine, you might want to look at the free version of "Grisoft AVG" anti-virus. It works better than most other anti-virus programs you pay big bucks for......
    AVG Free | Antivirus | Best Free Virus Protection

    Anybody who has Norton anti-virus should junk it and get something else - their main website, total database, and complete source code was hacked earlier this week
    Great advice!!! Norton has been a POS since Peter Norton sold out to Symantic. McAfee and Norton fight with each other, and with anything else that even resembles a malware or virus program.

    I'm using the free version of AVG and have it set up to run every night at 1 minute after midnight. I'm also running Malware Bytes (free version). Can't schedule that one, but I run it once a week. AVG picks up most of the problems and Bytes picks up what AVG won't, and vice versa.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

  15. #44
    VIP Member
    Array WHEC724's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,448
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Hahah. I couldn't agree more. Those two are very popular with the masses who don't know any better thanks to large advertising budgets. But ask any IT person like myself and we'll give it to you straight. In most cases, I would rather have my computer infected with viruses than run Norton. It is actually worse than a virus. It makes your computer almost unusable, and is darned near impossible to get rid of it.
    As a consultant, it's wise to avoid absolutes. I have close to 30 years industry experience, and run Norton on all of my home and business PC's.
    __________________________________
    'Clinging to my guns and religion

  16. #45
    Senior Member Array Divebum47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    As a consultant, it's wise to avoid absolutes. I have close to 30 years industry experience, and run Norton on all of my home and business PC's.
    Guess you're right. The only absolutes I adhere to right now is that I'm absolutely sure I won't run either Norton or McAfee. Because I'm old and have short-term memory loss (similar to my computer on Norton or McAfee) I can't remember if I subscribe to any other absolutes - well maybe vodka.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

216.157.99.240

,
chive website virus
,
kel tec virus
,
kel-tec virus
,
problems malware with thechive.com
,
system check virus kel tec
,

thechive infected with malware

,

thechive malware

,

thechive virus

,
thechive viruses
,
thechive website virus
,
thechive.com virus
Click on a term to search for related topics.