Virus issues--possibly from this site or its advertisers-- AGAIN

This is a discussion on Virus issues--possibly from this site or its advertisers-- AGAIN within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Ugh, heads up all. Something called "Internet Security 2012 " popped up on my XP machine. Apparently it is SCAM ware; with some malicious properties,depending ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Virus issues--possibly from this site or its advertisers-- AGAIN

VIP Member

Ugh, heads up all.

Something called "Internet Security 2012 " popped up on my XP machine.
    Apparently it is SCAM ware; with some malicious properties,depending on which description of it you believe. I'm on my Mac now while I try to clean
    the other computer.

It turned off Microsoft's Security Essentials, popped up something that is designed to look similar to it, and make you think you are getting a normal
    scan. Fortunately, I immediately recognized that something was wrong and another anti-virus program that I run which co-exists nicely with
    Essentials gave me the opportunity to kill and quarantine it.

I'm presently running full scans and trying to figure out where the dang thing was buried.

ADMINS--THIS IS NOT THE FIRST TIME I've picked up a virus while surfing this site. I had NOT been looking at ads, I was looking at a private message
    sent from someone who is a regular participant.

I do a great deal of browsing on both my XP machine and my Mac. The only time I have ever been infected on the XP machine has been while
    surfing Defensive Carry.

I have had one piece of malicious software detected by the anti-virus program on my Mac, but that was because my wife went to some funky
    site she should have known to avoid.

While I can't be 100% certain this site is the origin, it is what appears to be the case for now.

Argh!!!
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    I have been hit with that malware before, don’t know where it came from and had to use a web service to remove it. I am using Norton but the virus locked it out. What anti virus are you using to remove it in case I get hit again.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I too have had that malware. Not sure if it's from here, but I only play video games, and view this site, drudgereport, criagslist, ebay, and pandora from this computer.

VIP Member
    The problem is much more severe than I initially thought. I think whatever I got, and it was more than one, wiped my printer software out. My printer disappeared, and I can
    not "add a printer." I don't know what else is damaged if anything.

Microsoft Essentials is showing three threats; one of which was removed and two of which were allowed "0[uy08[tu0ihj'yqp5hj05y hu" (*family friendly cussin*).
    I have the path to the allowed stuff but I can't seem to get to it. [maybe quarantined by the other anti-virus program, I hope.] Meanwhile the remaining threats are both listed as severe. And I have not yet been able to check a second desktop to see what if anything is going on with it.

I'm really lucky I've got this iMac and my wife's iPhone, or I'd be pretty much out of business. I had already transferred most of the critical data files over to here so if I have to I can throw the old XP out; or take it to the gym and thwack it with a 10 lb sledgehammer.

I am not a happy camper right now.

Again, in the 9 years I've had my XP machine and in the 7 or 8 years I've had DSL, the only time I have picked up really bad stuff is HERE after Bumper sold it.

ADMINS-- you can check if I was actually logged on here when it happened. My log is showing the first quarantine at 8:16:55 Central Time.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I have been hit with that malware before, don’t know where it came from and had to use a web service to remove it. I am using Norton but the virus locked it out. What anti virus are you using to remove it in case I get hit again.
    What web service did you use? I think I might end up in the same boat. THis is pretty malicious in the way it disables existing common anti-virus programs.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    What web service did you use? I think I might end up in the same boat. THis is pretty malicious in the way it disables existing common anti-virus programs.
    I used AOL Tech Guru, cost $129 and took him about two hours to clean it out, expensive but worth it to me.

Here is the link: http://techguru.aol.com/
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I used 3 different solutions. combofix from bleepingcomputer.com, AVG antivirus, and centurylink's online scanner. Clean as a whistle now.

Not a problem for my iMac...
    RTTR84, Ishmael and surefire7 like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Hopyard - go to the Malwarebytes site below, download their free version, then run a "deep scan" that takes awhile. This is the best there is for finding and purging imbeded malware if that's your problem......
    Malwarebytes : Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO removes malware including viruses, spyware, worms and trojans, plus it protects your computer

Once you've run that medicine through your machine, you might want to look at the free version of "Grisoft AVG" anti-virus. It works better than most other anti-virus programs you pay big bucks for......
    AVG Free | Antivirus | Best Free Virus Protection

Anybody who has Norton anti-virus should junk it and get something else - their main website, total database, and complete source code was hacked earlier this week
    Guest1 and tbrenke like this.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    It sounds like there is a new variant of the malware called Antivir out now.
    @Hopyard, if you continue to have trouble removing it, I recommend you stop by this forum: -Virus/Spyware discussion Forum - Tek-Tips (tek-tips.com virus spyware forum). They guys there are extremely knowledgeable and should be able to get you up and running again.

For the future, you might want to look into using a browser such as Firefox with adblock plus or noscript.

Senior Moderator
    This may help:

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/41581

It seems likely that you were offered an "update" to something during your web travels, it seemed innocuous and you clicked "install". The "Internet Security 2012" program is scamware, it doesn't self install but instead convinces the user to install it by pretending to be something useful.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

To get rid off malware files, boot pc in SafeMode and turn off automatic backup, then delete the files. If you had Avast anti-virus, you wouldn't have gotten the the virus. It's free and better than the paid anti-virus software. And it's not a resource hog. Also get Ad-aware to remove adware. It too, is free.
    Guest1, Hoganbeg and RemMod597 like this.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Ad blockers... nuff said.

Yeap,happened to me ,but Microsoft Essentials and Malwarebytes caught it., the last two viruses came from this sight,all the more need for that protection.The last one looked like M.E.,but was Trojan 3012,If you don't have protection and get it ,restart your computer in safe mode,and start over on a previous date,then,get malewarebytes,it's FREE.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Not a problem for my iMac...
    Ditto

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links