Closing of "Expired" threads

This is a discussion on Closing of "Expired" threads within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I have noticed that a lot of old threads get resurrected when they should "Retire". In particular several threads of people asking for advice on ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By azchevy
  • 1 Post By mlr1m
  • 1 Post By JD

Thread: Closing of "Expired" threads

I have noticed that a lot of old threads get resurrected when they should "Retire". In particular several threads of people asking for advice on what they should purchase. These threads are Years old, and the OP in one case hasn't even been active in about 5 years. Should the forum consider putting an expiration date on threads? (if it has seen no activity in 6 months, it is automatically closed)

I often review past threads and gain information/knowledge from them, but when someone is looking for recommendations on a gun to purchase their 12 year old child, I am pretty sure that in that 2 or 3 years since the post was put up that the child is now 14 or 15 years old, and the OP is not looking for more input.

Is it something that the forum ownadministratorstors have considered? Is it possible with the system this forum uses to do this? There are many pro's and con's to "expiring" threads that I myself can argue both sides. I have started trying to remind myself to look at the original post date, to determine if my "input" should be included.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

If the 'what do I buy my kid' thread is locked because of age won't this just lead to multiple threads on the same subject? I would think this would clutter up the forum more and make searches more difficult. Not all questions should have time limits as both the question and its possible answers are ageless. For instance, what rifle for a young child is the type that could be continued forever. The answers to the thread from two years ago would be the same as many of the answers in a new thread. The only thing different would be the possible addition of newer rifles not available when the post was started. These could be added to the old thread if it was left open leaving everything in one thread instead of having to search for the same information in different threads.

I do agree on time limits for some threads that are by nature time limited. For instance, who should be the Presidents running mate in the upcoming election.

Michael

Sometimes I like when old threads get brought up..... then I can read some advice or info that I may have otherwise missed. This is an internet information forum right?
    bmcgilvray likes this.

I've no problem with most "old" threads that I've seen resurrected, unless, as mlr1m has noted, the thread is, by it's nature, time limited.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    One forum that I have been a member of for many years has an informal policy of discouraging this activity, commonly referred to as necroposting. When it occurs, it is pointed out that it is discouraged along with a request to please avoid it. Perhaps a solution like this would work as well as, if not better than heavy handed moderation?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

As a relatively new member, I can say that I've learned a lot reading through old threads as well as more current ones. There is so much good information on this forum, and even old information is good information.

I like the comments, like I said I can argue both sides, the problem is an all or nothing solution. It would ask way to much of the mods to monitor the time sensative threads.

I have found myself deleting a couple posts immediatly after I wrote them because my comments were of no value to the OP (especially since the OP hadn't been online since 2007). I guess the answer for me is to monitor my own posts, and make sure it is relevent to the original posters question, and to when it was posted.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

VIP Member
    If I Remember My Long Term Memory Correctly (IIRMLTMC)
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

one way you can look at it; this threat has no time limit on it. it can still be brough up 5 years from now and still be fresh

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    I like the comments, like I said I can argue both sides, the problem is an all or nothing solution. It would ask way to much of the mods to monitor the time sensative threads.

I have found myself deleting a couple posts immediatly after I wrote them because my comments were of no value to the OP (especially since the OP hadn't been online since 2007). I guess the answer for me is to monitor my own posts, and make sure it is relevent to the original posters question, and to when it was posted.
    But your answer may be of great help to someone else with the same question.

Michael
    Dadsnugun likes this.

So if someone posts a question or followup today in an old thread and it gets answered, he may get 10 different answers than he got two years ago.... more modern answers or by new users with different knowledge bases. I see no issue with necroposting especially in light of the "use the search" responses some people give when people ask the same questions.

So they use the search, find a thread one to two years old, still have questions.... why can't they post in the thread to revive the discussion?

JD
    Administrator
    I've brought this up with the owners and their stance is not to auto-close threads due to age. Some topics that are revived will be closed and "buried" when we come across them.

Sponsored Links