Watch the Language

This is a discussion on Watch the Language within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Just as a reminder to the entire forum: The rules on this forum have not changed. I know there are a lot of new members ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Watch the Language

Senior Moderator

Watch the Language

Just as a reminder to the entire forum:

The rules on this forum have not changed.

I know there are a lot of new members and many people do not fully read the rules they agreed to when they join but I'm going to highlight a rule that seem to have been forgotten in the last few months, not only by the new members but also by long-standing members.

4. As a family-friendly forum, we ask that you keep your language clean, exactly as we hope you would when addressing respected elders. Creative workarounds (the use of special characters to replace some letters) on language are not allowed. Violators of this rule will be warned once; those repeatedly breaking this rule will have their accounts permanently revoked. NOTE: Links to off site material will be held to our family-friendly standard, as well.

The bolded part is particularly important as we get a lot of people thinking it's okay to just throw up a lot of symbols and that suddenly makes it okay. No dice. You will get a warning or infraction points.

Also, an advanced warning does not make it okay. Many people will post, "Language warning" before posting a link to a video, etc, that contains language. That is not in keeping with the forum rules. Again, you will receive a warning or infraction points.

If you absolutely think that the video or link is important to discuss give us a run down of the scenario or video minus the dialog and link. Tell people you have a link and if they want to see it they can contact you for it privately.

Keep the language (and language work-arounds) under control.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post

If you absolutely think that the video or link is important to discuss give us a run down of the scenario or video minus the dialog and link. Tell people you have a link and if they want to see it they can contact you for it privately.

Keep the language (and language work-arounds) under control.
    Just to emphasize, it doesn't take long to PM one of the moderators and discuss something you feel may be valuable before posting it. We do our best to get back to PM's as fast as possible.

We understand you may wish to post a video which you feel is important, yet may have a couple bad words. Again, PM a moderator or administrator and discuss it prior to making a post. We are not a bunch of Pollyanna's here, but in order to maintain a family friendly environment, me must all strive to help one another.

Or, as Lima said, post a rundown of the scenario or video and have members PM you for a link to the information.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Can we add vulgar jokes in the same category as vulgar language?

There has been a couple if vulgar jokes lately that didn't contain bad language, but the vulgarity was still there.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using Tapatalk
    Rock and Glock and DMan like this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Can we add vulgar jokes in the same category as vulgar language?

There has been a couple if vulgar jokes lately that didn't contain bad language, but the vulgarity was still there.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using Tapatalk
    Yes, this includes vulgar jokes. If you think something is in bad taste feel free to report it. The mods will take a look at it and make a judgment.

I just want to point out that vulgarity is in the eye of the beholder. I like to think I know what's vulgar and what isn't. But I also grew up in fire stations, so I may not be the best barometer.

We can't be all things for every person and there comes a point where you have to close your eyes, shake your head and move on without getting your feelings hurt, or your delicate senses offended at every off color remark or joke.

We talk about death and killing people for crying out loud. Nothing pretty about that, and a lot of people would have their sensibilities offended just because of the topics discussed here.

But as Limatunes pointed out, if you get offended by a post, report it, and we'll review it.

Yes, we try to keep a family environment here. But we are also supposed to be grown-ups. We don't want to become everyone's political correctness police.
    goldshellback, JD and 21bubba like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    I so agree and this is one of the things I like about dc. It is a clean site.
    exdee40 and bmcgilvray like this.

Good reminder. I can tell someone to go somewhere without using any of the commonly associated terms that would normally be denied and do it tactfully without raising suspicion for days or weeks. Family oriented sites or forums are hard to find these days by and large. Obviously we are held to a higher standard here. This benefits us as well as others. I'm actually glad I'm still here after all the stunts I've pulled in the past. However I don't think my language has been questioned. I think the server used to x them out anyway along with many derivatives that would have flown due to context. Best forum on the internet today IMO. Keeping it on the up and up benefits all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I just want to point out that vulgarity is in the eye of the beholder. I like to think I know what's vulgar and what isn't. But I also grew up in fire stations, so I may not be the best barometer.

We can't be all things for every person and there comes a point where you have to close your eyes, shake your head and move on without getting your feelings hurt, or your delicate senses offended at every off color remark or joke.

We talk about death and killing people for crying out loud. Nothing pretty about that, and a lot of people would have their sensibilities offended just because of the topics discussed here.

But as Limatunes pointed out, if you get offended by a post, report it, and we'll review it.

Yes, we try to keep a family environment here. But we are also supposed to be grown-ups. We don't want to become everyone's political correctness police.
    Good to know there sane people among us.

This is one of the most "user friendly" sights that you will find. I know that I personally have been known for an off color remark or an offencive joke here or there. But there is a time and place for everything. We are all passionate in our beleifs and what we beleive in. That is what also makes this country great. You may or may not agree with what I beleive in but thats ok. This forum is not your backyard or kitchen table. You have to abide by the rules. That kinda levels the field for everyone. If you dont have nothing nice to say dont say it.Constructive criticism is fine as that is how we all learn.
    TC

VIP Member
    Never miss a good chance to shut up.

It's possible that I may have deleted more of my own posts, than actually submitted.
    gottabkiddin, Dadsnugun and OD* like this.

VIP Member
    Why I don't disagree with the rules by any means. The part that Defensive Carry is a "family friendly" forum kind of throws me off. We are talking about activities in which it is against the law for minors. Maybe it's just the wording I guess.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Good to know there sane people among us.
    Speak for yourself.

The civility and openness here are always a fresh breath of air. Differences can be aired, opinions expressed and without much of the baggage that typically triggers on the internet.

The rules do work, and we all enjoy the result! What a great deal!
    Dadsnugun and Stubborn like this.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

I have a doctor’s note; my fingers have tourette’s syndrome....

my fingers have tourette’s syndrome....
    Just keep them off the keyboard and we'll all be OK.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Why I don't disagree with the rules by any means. The part that Defensive Carry is a "family friendly" forum kind of throws me off. We are talking about activities in which it is against the law for minors. Maybe it's just the wording I guess.
    Carrying a firearm is indeed against the law for minors under most circumstances, but that doesn't mean we have to allow vulgarity. Carrying and preparing for the use of a firearm is a mature discussion, but we can still keep it classy.
    RoadKill likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links