BAD - Video Adverts on DC

This is a discussion on BAD - Video Adverts on DC within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; What's the deal with the video advertisements that have suddenly started invading DC? Fired up DC before my email this morning, at work , and ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By tommyj27
  • 1 Post By Yoda
  • 1 Post By varob
  • 1 Post By joleary223

Thread: BAD - Video Adverts on DC

Thumbs down BAD - Video Adverts on DC

What's the deal with the video advertisements that have suddenly started invading DC? Fired up DC before my email this morning, at work, and suddenly my computer is screaming at me about Lysol. If there is one thing that makes me close a site and never revisit, it's automatic audio. Silent video banners, no problem (except that the advert hacks out there are incapable of making an efficient flash ad). Video banners with audio, intolerable.

I'm hoping that this is some mistake that gets taken care of quickly.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Mozilla Firefox + AdBlock Plus = I have never even seen one ad on this website

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    That I would need to resort to an ad blocker is annoying.

I actually don't mind most of the adverts on this site. I actually click on a fair number of them, because I'm genuinely interested in the subject. They also serve the purpose of helping to keep the site funded, and I won't knock our benevolent overlords for trying to pay for the site outside of donations.

VIP Member
    When those ads popup if you scroll down to them you can mute them.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    When those ads popup if you scroll down to them you can mute them.
    Understood, but that doesn't solve the "sitting in a quiet office, computer starts screaming about Lysol" issue.
    accessbob likes this.

I have not seen them at all.
    surefire7 likes this.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

I'Ve not eeen any ads either.
    surefire7 likes this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyj27 View Post

I actually don't mind most of the adverts on this site. I actually click on a fair number of them, because I'm genuinely interested in the subject. They also serve the purpose of helping to keep the site funded, and I won't knock our benevolent overlords for trying to pay for the site outside of donations.
    There are certain ads that the site owners have NO power to stop. Certain ads are controlled by Google & other SE companies. That's why we need to install a good ad blocker.

Personally, I just downloaded a Google extension ad blocker and I don't even get the banner ads on a site anymore.

-

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar

I wouldn't care if they got a million dollars for posting pictures of Hillary Clinton's face all over the site...as long as I can block it if I want, and they are getting some revenue to keep this wonderful community afloat, I see no need to complain how they go about it. Life's short, take control every once in a while.
    Last edited by DontTreadOnI; April 2nd, 2012 at 10:07 AM. Reason: spelling
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Okay, I just saw an uninvited video that started on it's own at the bottom of a page. I stopped the video then it restarted in Russian. I captured a screen image.

capture.jpg
    Yoda, I am, yes.

I finally saw the Obama ad, there was an opt out option if you click on the upper right corner of the ad.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

PC or Mac?
    I'm on a mac and I haven't seen any videos.
    surefire7 likes this.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Understood, but that doesn't solve the "sitting in a quiet office, computer starts screaming about Lysol" issue.
    Maybe your computer is trying to tell you something ...LOL
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post

Firefox + AdBlock RULES! And be sure to use the add-on called "NoScript" too.....
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Started on my PC yesterday, I have had 5 of them this morning. No issue on my iPad. Very annoying. Is this an unintended glitch or deliberate?

The mute button doesn't work half the time, I just got 3 while posting this note. The pause button doesn't work either.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Links