How about a sub forum for the Ladies - Page 2

How about a sub forum for the Ladies

This is a discussion on How about a sub forum for the Ladies within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I think a separate forum for women isn't a bad idea. Since started carrying I had to do alot of research on where I should ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: How about a sub forum for the Ladies

I think a separate forum for women isn't a bad idea. Since started carrying I had to do alot of research on where I should carry, to clothing. There wasn't nearly enough information out there compared to men. I think it is different for women who carry. I mean gun choice is the same but honestly women wear different clothing, carry a purse, and obviously have a different body types. For me finding a gun, and holsters that would be comfortable and be able to conceal was a challenge. I am pretty small framed and love fashion, and it was quite challenging to learn to carry concealed. My fiance has carried for quite sometime and he couldn't really help me with that. He just carry's his gun in his pocket..and I know I can't do that cause woman's pants have much smaller pockets that mens. Also the books I read couldn't help me with that either. They were really general and didn't help with clothing options. I managed to find fashionable clothing and very comfortable holsters on my own, but it took a few months. It would be nice to have more talks specific to women.

If it happens make sure and call it "The Powder Room"
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lyz_grace View Post
    There may be more ladies here than on the elsie pea forum, but I think this is an issue over there. I think I saw one other lady in the Ladies' Boards and it was rare that I posted in anything that was exclusive to being female. It was pretty dusty.

On the other hand, it made it very easy to check up on. I think if I were to post a skirt queston on the carry boards here it might fall to the bottom and get lost pretty quickly if no ladies happened to be on the forum right as I was posting. With the Ladies' Board it could still fall to the bottom of the new threads (out of the guys' way), but when another lady comes on and checks the ladyboard, the skirt question would be right up top and unaswered.

I subscribe to Cornered Cat, but other than that I honestly can't stand most womens' defense groups. I've been on a few forums and Facebook groups and the "self-empowered" catiness is unbelievable. I'll stick with the guys.

ETA: I guess to clarify I think it'd be nice to organize and get our lady-questions answered, but not necessary. If all else fails, we just bump the thread 'til someone helpful sees it Thanks RubenZ for the idea and consideration!

^^Where were you^^^^^^^

or someone like you 25-30 years ago.

Husband is a lucky guy to find a girl with her head so level.

OTOH, in retrospect
    I guess I didn't do too bad

Quote Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
    Well mainly for organization. Search functions are sometimes not accurate and topics specific to women won't get mixed up in a lot of other topics that come out. Gun choices, carry methods, clothing, etc are all specific to women.

^^^^You mean guys and girls really are Different?^^^^

J/K
    Seems like a good idea, but the more you think about it, it seems it would be unnecessary.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

My husband is the only person you will find in my kitchen.

^^Where were you^^^^^^^

or someone like you 25-30 years ago.

Husband is a lucky guy to find a girl with her head so level.

Woman are like parking spots; all the good ones are taken and the rest are handicapped or too far out there....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    Woman are like parking spots; all the good ones are taken and the rest are handicapped or too far out there....LOL
    I am disabled, in the line of duty. I think I am as good (or better) wife as any. Ask my husband. So there. (Raspberry sound implied.)

Consider yourself... by a
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by LikePinkGuns View Post
    My husband is the only person you will find in my kitchen.
    532810_10100299526508662_39112509_40874304_416247646_n.jpg
    lyz_grace likes this.
    • We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I think we would be doing the women a disservice by having a separate forum. I consider them the same as any other member. The fact that a member is female is irrelevant to me. That said, I would probably be lurking to see what they have to say as I don't pay too much attention to who is male or female. I'm lost in screen names.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Just to clarify what I understand to be the OP's suggestion, a ladies' board WOULD help us find information. All this equality and segregation nonsense aside, we DO have lady-specific issues. Or maybe I'm the only one who would love to get as many ideas as possible on different ways to carry with boobs and a skirt. The info is extremely hard to come by. He's not suggesting that we seclude ourselves there, just that it would help us share our lady questions and information without it getting lost, which is, quite frankly, where it inevitably ends up.

Again, I'm fine going without one, but it's certainly not a strange, presumptuous, or offensive suggestion.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    I'm sure the same would apply to men as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    I am disabled, in the line of duty. I think I am as good (or better) wife as any. Ask my husband. So there. (Raspberry sound implied.)

Consider yourself... by a
    Touché.

Just to clarify what I understand to be the OP's suggestion, a ladies' board WOULD help us find information. All this equality and segregation nonsense aside, we DO have lady-specific issues. Or maybe I'm the only one who would love to get as many ideas as possible on different ways to carry with boobs and a skirt. The info is extremely hard to come by. He's not suggesting that we seclude ourselves there, just that it would help us share our lady questions and information without it getting lost, which is, quite frankly, where it inevitably ends up.

Again, I'm fine going without one, but it's certainly not a strange, presumptuous, or offensive suggestion.

YES. I didn't mean for women to be segregated here. Just a Sub Forum for women to post specific issues to them because they are specific. Men don't have boobs(well some do), purses, skirts, and tight tops etc. They are 2 different worlds in the world of CARRYING GUNS.
    lyz_grace likes this.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

Senior Moderator

As the only female "staff" member I'm usually the one who is consulted on these matters. Myself and the previous female staff members (and the males, btw) have all agreed that a female member area would end up being a waste of time, space and energy.

All told I am a member of about a dozen gun forums, most of which DO have a female section. I am also a member of a lot of female dominated forums. I have also participated on female-specific self-defense forums.

Inevitably this pattern emerges:

New woman comes to forum and looks for the "female section."
    She scrolls through the threads but doesn't see an answer to her SPECIFIC question.
    She posts a new thread in the lady specific area.
    While waiting for a reply she notices that the regular forum is getting tons and tons of action and her thread is fast getting pushed off the "front page" of new threads.
    She then decides to post her thread in the open forum with a title like, "Asked this in the lady section but didn't get a response."
    Then a variety of things can/will happen. She is told to go back to her forum and wait for the girls to respond. She gets a response from a bunch of guys saying, "I'm not a gal but here is my opinion" or, "I posted this in your original thread but know it doesn't get the traffic this place gets so I'll post it here," OR her duplicate thread gets deleted and she's stuck with the crickets.
    Then, if she does get a response from the gals it's only one or two and may or may not answer her question.

Not to mention, we gals who are members suddenly feel obligated to go post in a female specific thread because, by golly, it's our duty to support our fellow gals even though we just want to participate like everyone else. And, like everyone else, there are topics that interest us and topics that don't and we shouldn't feel guilted into having to reply to a thread just because it's a female posting in the "female section."

The fact of the matter is that we have a very diverse and wonderful group here. There are lots of guys with wives who carry or who have worked with female students, friends, whoever who are exceptionally knowledgeable about female options and will share their knowledge... they may overlook a female section feeling they don't belong and we women would be worse off without it.

When it comes to self defense we women are not that different than men. We are targeted more often and often for sexual reasons but that doesn't mean we defend ourselves any differently when it comes to pulling that trigger. Mindset, defensive tactics, training, etc, are all the same.

Clothing and style and carry methods?
    Yes, there are some differences there, but, again, there are very knowledgeable people here (male and female) who are more than willing to help. I have NEVER seen a female's question about carry methods go unanswered on this forum.... EVER.

If we were to implement a "female specific" forum I can almost guarantee that female specific questions would start to go unanswered or have fewer answers due to the nature of the fact that it would not get the traffic from some of the male members who could bring the best info to the thread.

As far as organization is concerned, if a woman comes here and cannot find what she is looking for in the search she is more than welcome to start a thread of her own.

I have an idea that I will run by the other staff members for the lady specific stuff but as long as I am a member on this forum (which I can't anticipate giving up soon) I will fight tooth and nail against a lady specific sub forum.

Thanks Lima! All of that makes sense. Honestly the only female-specific topics I thought of (and that I've had a lot of difficulty finding in the recent past) have been related to clothing and body issues. I can't think of any self-defense or scenario topics that couldn't benefit from being co-ed. When it comes to asking about how cup size affects the usability of a kangaroo holster, though, I can't say that I'd be interested in the "I'm not a gal, but here's my opinion" responses I'm interested to see what your idea is - thank you for your post!

VIP Member
    good post Lima, couldn't agree more

and LikePinkGuns, welcome to the forum, good to have another Texas gal in the kitchen, err....I mean forum
    I too do my fair share in the kitchen with or without Mrs 64zebra
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Senior Moderator

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links