How about a sub forum for the Ladies

This is a discussion on How about a sub forum for the Ladies within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Give women their own separate forum? Next thing you know they will be demanding the right to vote and drive. Its a crazy idea. Michael...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: How about a sub forum for the Ladies

Give women their own separate forum? Next thing you know they will be demanding the right to vote and drive.
    Its a crazy idea.

Michael

2. Remove Ads

We don't need a separate forum or sub-category. It just isn't necessary.
    Spirit51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    I sorry but this sounds like a group of counter guys at the LGS when I bring in a women who wants help buying her first gun or other items for self defense! "Hey whats good enough for us "Bad Butts" is good for her!" "What do you mean she want something she can shoot, can't she use the same as me - a 50AE!"

Check the records boys, more women are buying firearm then men (NSSF)! They have different concerns and issues. The sooner we reconized this, the better we'll be when we need to be a team in defending our love ones. This year at the shot show I met a couple from the midwest, she carried and he held her hand, aka didn't carry. He stated if a BG comes after us she take care of the defense, I do the driving.

The only issue I see is the single guys will be trolling for dates. Of course they'll be polite as a women with a gun you don't want to mess with!

One issue just came to me, the PC monitors can't have them discussing the operation of a HK P7!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    I sorry but this sounds like a group of counter guys at the LGS when I bring in a women who wants help buying her first gun or other items for self defense! "Hey whats good enough for us "Bad Butts" is good for her!" "What do you mean she want something she can shoot, can't she use the same as me - a 50AE!"

Check the records boys, more women are buying firearm then men (NSSF)! They have different concerns and issues. The sooner we reconized this, the better we'll be when we need to be a team in defending our love ones. This year at the shot show I met a couple from the midwest, she carried and he held her hand, aka didn't carry. He stated if a BG comes after us she take care of the defense, I do the driving.

The only issue I see is the single guys will be trolling for dates. Of course they'll be polite as a women with a gun you don't want to mess with!

One issue just came to me, the PC monitors can't have them discussing the operation of a HK P7!
    I don't think the issue is gender, it comes down to attention to forums. The more forums there are the less attention is paid to each one. A women only forum might not get the attention paid to it that a main forum would. Then, as others have pointed out, a thread will languish. This is a very active board with hundreds of posts per day, attention spans are short. Separation would divide that attention even further.
    limatunes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    As the only female "staff" member I'm usually the one who is consulted on these matters. Myself and the previous female staff members (and the males, btw) have all agreed that a female member area would end up being a waste of time, space and energy.

All told I am a member of about a dozen gun forums, most of which DO have a female section. I am also a member of a lot of female dominated forums. I have also participated on female-specific self-defense forums.

Inevitably this pattern emerges:

New woman comes to forum and looks for the "female section."
    She scrolls through the threads but doesn't see an answer to her SPECIFIC question.
    She posts a new thread in the lady specific area.
    While waiting for a reply she notices that the regular forum is getting tons and tons of action and her thread is fast getting pushed off the "front page" of new threads.
    She then decides to post her thread in the open forum with a title like, "Asked this in the lady section but didn't get a response."
    Then a variety of things can/will happen. She is told to go back to her forum and wait for the girls to respond. She gets a response from a bunch of guys saying, "I'm not a gal but here is my opinion" or, "I posted this in your original thread but know it doesn't get the traffic this place gets so I'll post it here," OR her duplicate thread gets deleted and she's stuck with the crickets.
    Then, if she does get a response from the gals it's only one or two and may or may not answer her question.

Not to mention, we gals who are members suddenly feel obligated to go post in a female specific thread because, by golly, it's our duty to support our fellow gals even though we just want to participate like everyone else. And, like everyone else, there are topics that interest us and topics that don't and we shouldn't feel guilted into having to reply to a thread just because it's a female posting in the "female section."

The fact of the matter is that we have a very diverse and wonderful group here. There are lots of guys with wives who carry or who have worked with female students, friends, whoever who are exceptionally knowledgeable about female options and will share their knowledge... they may overlook a female section feeling they don't belong and we women would be worse off without it.

When it comes to self defense we women are not that different than men. We are targeted more often and often for sexual reasons but that doesn't mean we defend ourselves any differently when it comes to pulling that trigger. Mindset, defensive tactics, training, etc, are all the same.

Clothing and style and carry methods?
    Yes, there are some differences there, but, again, there are very knowledgeable people here (male and female) who are more than willing to help. I have NEVER seen a female's question about carry methods go unanswered on this forum.... EVER.

If we were to implement a "female specific" forum I can almost guarantee that female specific questions would start to go unanswered or have fewer answers due to the nature of the fact that it would not get the traffic from some of the male members who could bring the best info to the thread.

As far as organization is concerned, if a woman comes here and cannot find what she is looking for in the search she is more than welcome to start a thread of her own.

I have an idea that I will run by the other staff members for the lady specific stuff but as long as I am a member on this forum (which I can't anticipate giving up soon) I will fight tooth and nail against a lady specific sub forum.
    I still don't think it is necessary for me, but if it helps other women to feel more comfortable with carry and the options for carry that are women specific, (and you are willing to tackle the increased work load) it might be good.

I started carrying in the 80s when there were no gun purses or women specific carry options available. I had to
    "jerry rig" my own....sometimes with success, sometimes not. There is a wealth of these for women now and that is "a good thing". My days of tight jeans and short skirts have past (like that ship has sailed), but it is always interesting to see what if available.

I just hope the guys go there too. They can have good ideas and could add to the conversation.

Good luck to you on this.
    ericb327 likes this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    I feel like they are on the same level as the rest of us and enjoy their input as much as everyone else's.
    "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore". Wow...what an impressive bunch of men! Some of the ones I know personally, could learn a few things around here. :applause:

via Tapatalk
    "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" ~ Paul Harvey

Quote Originally Posted by eeeZnow View Post
    "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore". Wow...what an impressive bunch of men! Some of the ones I know personally, could learn a few things around here. :applause:
    via Tapatalk
    I have been impressed with the gentlemen in here. Haven't seen a sexist post (except for odious humor). I have gotten lots of informative and interesting insights and ideas. Very gender friendly and would recommend this forum to any woman interested in learning more about the subject of conceal carry or firearms in general.

BTW Love the eye.
    ericb327 likes this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    BTW Love the eye.
    Thanks! My "usual" handle is Brindawithani (little play on words, thus the pic), but it was one digit too long for this forum.

via Tapatalk
    "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" ~ Paul Harvey

Glock forum...jk
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
    Glock forum...jk
    Actually not a bad idea. After the usual, "what will fit my hand?" and the obligatory "go pick one up and see what works for you." I could see discussions of Glocks that are better to handle than others. Just a thought.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links