Re: New Member Threads

This is a discussion on Re: New Member Threads within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Please try and keep it to a minimum regarding posting to the new member threads, I typically try to keep everything past page two of ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Re: New Member Threads

JD [OP]
    Administrator

Re: New Member Threads

Please try and keep it to a minimum regarding posting to the new member threads, I typically try to keep everything past page two of that section closed.

Members that continuously go down the line of the entire section posting to every open thread available may have their posts removed. Continuous "abuse" of this may result in members not being able to post in that section should this occur on such a large scale.

2. Remove Ads

If there are that many members objecting to replys to new members being posted to "new posts" and who feel it is too difficult to just page down past them, why not just NOT post those replys under the new posts? When I joined DC three years ago I appreciated getting "greeted" by the older members, and I try to give a greeting to each new member. I generally check the forum daily and find there are several "new" members. I'm sorry if greeting 5 or 6 or 9 new members happens to inconvenience someone who wants to only see other "new" posts. And sometimes if I miss logging on for a day or two, I might greet 10 or 15 new members. I don't think it is that difficult to scan down past the new member greetings under the new posts. Just my .02. Don't mean to offend anybody.
    Stubborn likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    10 or 15 is no problem, when it's 30+ in a matter of 5 minutes, it's just silly.

I just welcomed 6, but there are about 5 or 6 more I haven't gotten to. I'll wait and do those in a few hours so it splits them up some. I try to check them every day or two. Thanks for posting this. I also agree 30 or more is just too much.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    If there are that many members objecting to replys to new members being posted to "new posts" and who feel it is too difficult to just page down past them, why not just NOT post those replys under the new posts? When I joined DC three years ago I appreciated getting "greeted" by the older members, and I try to give a greeting to each new member. I generally check the forum daily and find there are several "new" members. I'm sorry if greeting 5 or 6 or 9 new members happens to inconvenience someone who wants to only see other "new" posts. And sometimes if I miss logging on for a day or two, I might greet 10 or 15 new members. I don't think it is that difficult to scan down past the new member greetings under the new posts. Just my .02. Don't mean to offend anybody.
    Yesterday somebody spent 30 minutes posting greetings to folks who have been here for over a month. It knocked out every recent post when you clicked on Active Topics. A lot of folks like to see what has been going on the last 12 hours or so in the morning instead of going to each sub forum.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Yesterday somebody spent 30 minutes posting greetings to folks who have been here for over a month. It knocked out every recent post when you clicked on Active Topics. A lot of folks like to see what has been going on the last 12 hours or so in the morning instead of going to each sub forum.
    LOL. Yup,

1. Crawl out of bed
    2. Read national headlines
    3. Read local paper
    4. Read what Suntzu, Tkruf, JDE101 & JD think of the last 12 hours
    5. Go make coffee

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    LOL. Yup,

1. Crawl out of bed
    2. Read national headlines
    3. Read local paper
    4. Read what Suntzu, Tkruf, JDE101 & JD think of the last 12 hours
    5. Go make coffee
    Make coffee first

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    ^^^Yup...just move coffee up to number 2 and I'm with you.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I know this was brought up in another thread, but is there a reason New Member threads add to your post count? Most Newbie threads on other forums don't count, and so aren't typically very active. Usually I only ever welcome people that I either have something in common with, or that I see have been sort of neglected. Honestly, I think getting 20 or 30 replies on your first post can be kind of overwhelming anyway.
    Last edited by lyz_grace; May 9th, 2012 at 12:55 PM. Reason: tpyo!

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by lyz_grace View Post
    I know this was brought up in another thread, but is there a reason New Member threads add to your post count? Most Newbie threads on other forums don't count, and so aren't typically very active. Usually I only ever welcome people that either I have something in common with, or I see have been sort of neglected. Honestly, I think getting 20 or 30 replies on your first post can be kind of overwhelming anywany.
    Just the way it's been. I don't see any real harm in it other than people use it to try and jack up their post count...or so it seems. I'm with you in that I don't post in every single thread there-in, unless it's someone from Iowa or a state I lived in etc....but then again, I don't need to try and jack up my post count.

Quote Originally Posted by lyz_grace View Post
    I know this was brought up in another thread, but is there a reason New Member threads add to your post count? Most Newbie threads on other forums don't count, and so aren't typically very active. Usually I only ever welcome people that I either have something in common with, or that I see have been sort of neglected. Honestly, I think getting 20 or 30 replies on your first post can be kind of overwhelming anywany.
    I think I got 28 and was not overwhelmed in anyway, but very appreciative that members took the time to welcome me.
    JDE101 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Yesterday somebody spent 30 minutes posting greetings to folks who have been here for over a month.
    suntzu it was 4 hours with 161 welcomes... I counted
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    suntzu it was 4 hours with 161 welcomes... I counted
    Was it really?? I just looked when it stopped and went to the last one I saw when I clicked on Active Threads. That is ridicules!!!!!!

I noticed that this site pushes people to go to the welcome thread and announce they are new and at the rate this site has grown since I been on is amazing. I think that is a combo of a couple of factors that other sites don’t seem to have/do.

As far as addressing people in just my state I have sites that do just that and they seem to be stagnant at best and you get some that seem to think their option is the only one that counts.

Last of all as far as I am concerned post count doesn’t make you a better/more believable/more creditable poster. Some sites don’t even show it or the date a person activates an account. I like to think that what a person posts is what they are and the credit I give them as “A stand up in the community “
    64zebra likes this.

VIP Member
    Is there a way to stop these posts(welcoming new member posts) from being entered in the "new post"section?

That way, you could still welcome new members, and it wouldn't load up the "new post" section
    Last edited by oneshot; May 9th, 2012 at 03:28 PM.
    suntzu, varob and JDE101 like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links