Resurrecting old threads

This is a discussion on Resurrecting old threads within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I've noticed lately that a number of old (3-4yrs) threads have been resurrected, usually by relatively new members. I think it's great that these old ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Resurrecting old threads

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar

Resurrecting old threads

I've noticed lately that a number of old (3-4yrs) threads have been resurrected, usually by relatively new members.

I think it's great that these old threads are being read and information gleaned from them. But, if these threads raise new questions, lets start a new thread with the new question and get some new and/or current comments and input without reviewing 100 old comments.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I agree.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by airslot View Post
    But, if these threads raise new questions, lets start a new thread with the new question and get some new and/or current comments and input without reviewing 100 old comments.
    Good luck in getting that to happen. It is a fact of forum life which occurs on every forum I've ever been on. I am a moderator on an Access forum which has had people answer 5 year old questions and it makes you wonder, WHY? But with new members, the fact that they are new, how would you ever educate them? The only way, even remotely possible, is to either lock down the threads after a specific time frame or force them to go through some sort of tutorial where you explained everything about how to post on the forum before they posted for the first time. Again, not a good solution as it would just put people off and they'd go away angry.
    EDC - Glock 36 OR Glock 30, Ruger LC9, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

I disagree. If new information exists, add on to the thread. The poster showed the initiative to do some research, which is commendable.

Besides, that new poster is in the unenviable position of either having people tell him/her to "use the search function" or hear complaints about reviving old threads. Why can't we as a community just help folks out instead of critiquing the way they ask for help? A good instructor molds his instruction to best fit the learning patterns of his/her student.

Herk
    Pkupmn98, Kadelic, JDE101 and 6 others like this.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    What's wrong with updating a topic within the same thread? It doesn't make much sense to continually start new threads based on the same subject - this just spreads out contextual information over more threads. Original posts can still contain timelessly helpful information, & the timeline can help us to understand changing norms.

Would you rather find, then dig through 50 threads based on the same subject, or 50 pages of a single thread?? We're all here to learn & maybe pass a little knowledge around.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    -
    What's wrong with updating a topic within the same thread?

Would you rather find, then dig through 50 threads based on the same subject, or 50 pages of a single thread?? We're all here to learn & maybe pass a little knowledge around.
    I totally agree with not starting a "new" old thread. I did a quick check and there is over 100,000 threads on this forum with a larger amount of posts within those threads.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

How can people be expected to research 100,000 threads to make sure their not covering old ground. Maybe that expectation by some is the reason were not seeing too many new topics being brought up lately. It will particularly deter the new people from asking a question for fear of some one getting put off.And to the ones pointing this out as a problem,start a new thread,were all waiting.

I think starting new threads can give an updated view of the members. I myself think a little differently after just a couple of months here.
    atctimmy likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by RayBar View Post
    How can people be expected to research 100,000 threads to make sure their not covering old ground. Maybe that expectation by some is the reason were not seeing too many new topics being brought up lately. It will particularly deter the new people from asking a question for fear of some one getting put off.And to the ones pointing this out as a problem,start a new thread,were all waiting.
    New posters are already looked upon as not knowing what they are talking about to a certain degree. Just because someone is new to the forum doesn't mean they are new to CC or OC. One guy attacked me asking me what tactical training I had, how old I was because I challenged members to post the use of lethal force laws for their states. Bravado I guess. I really like this forum though.

Quote Originally Posted by RayBar View Post
    How can people be expected to research 100,000 threads to make sure their (sic) not covering old ground. Maybe that expectation by some is the reason were not seeing too many new topics being brought up lately. It will particularly deter the new people from asking a question for fear of some one getting put off.And to the ones pointing this out as a problem,start a new thread,were all waiting.
    One way is to use the "Search" function. That expectation (using the "Search" function) has been out there since Day 1 of forums. However, many nebulous, vague thread titles make this a hit-or-miss proposition. Nowadays, you're just as likely to see people complaining that you're dredging up an old thread. This brings me back to my original point: You're not going to please everyone. Somebody is ready to "correct" you no matter what you do.

Besides, I don't see why this (either method) upsets people. My wife has never heard me screaming in abject horror and come into the room to find me wrestling the mouse with all my might in an attempt to keep the cursor from clicking on something I didn't want to see. If you don't want to read something, there's a little white "x" in a red background toward the upper right corner of your screen.

I, for one, am just glad people are posting and bringing new questions or points of view to our little corner of the 'net.

Herk
    FLArmadillo likes this.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    If new information exists, add on to the thread. The poster showed the initiative to do some research, which is commendable.
    Agreed. Proper form is to find an existing relevant thread rather than start a new one. Point of order: The thing that gets newbies slammed is when they start a new thread regarding something that has been thoroughly debated already. It matters not that a thread is old, or that it has "x" number of comments on it already. That is completely immaterial.

What does count is that the user in question is using the search function for the right reasons.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

That would work,(use the search funtion)but realistically,how many people who have a question pop into their heads do that much research before asking a simple question. I am realatively new to this forum, I don't know how long its been around,or how many questions have been asked,but I could venture a guess that just about everything has been adressed in one form or another. Breaking news items aside,could you really come up with something entirely new to the cc/oc crowd.Somebodys bound to have heard it before,somewhere.Keep in mind too that threads are only old if you have read them before.With new people being added all the time,whats old to some is new to them.Just sayin.

cj
    Lots of these probably come up from Google searches...someone's interested in a topic, search for it, and find an old thread. Being new to the forum, they sign up to make their comment in said thread.

Of course, one recent example I stumbled across was just a spammer trying to sell his product, so he searched for anything closely related and posted about how great his product was in each thread. Mods clamped down fairly quickly :)

I have no problem with it. In fact, the older I get the old threads look like new ones.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I don't mind resurrecting old threads. In fact, if someone starts a new one at lest one person 'politely' reminds them to use the search function. You can't win either way. The thing that I find that is more of a nuisance is when someone starts a thread about a news story and then two or three other folks start a thread on the same subject. And that is when the original thread has like 500 viewers and 50 posts so far that day and is one of the most active threads. And when someone says 'already running here' people still post to both or multiple threads.

I guess if that is one of the few things in life that bug me then I am doing OK LOL
    Herknav likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links