Serious spamming uptick: Resolved? - Page 2

Serious spamming uptick: Resolved?

This is a discussion on Serious spamming uptick: Resolved? within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Originally Posted by paaiyan Since many of these spammers use their signatures and/or links to spam, another forum admin and I worked to create a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Serious spamming uptick: Resolved?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Since many of these spammers use their signatures and/or links to spam, another forum admin and I worked to create a usergroup that users start out in for their first 15 posts or so that prevents them from having a signature or posting links. This was on PHPBB though.
    The above two options have been enabled to some degree.

We'll see how they work.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    On the website I administer we don't allow users to register, an admin has to do it for you. However, that's a low traffic site and probably wouldn't work well here.

JD
    Administrator
    Any updates on this issue? Seems to me we're seeing a LOT less spam and that means our newly implemented countermeasures are working.

I work (mod/admin) several technical forums owned by ForumFoundry. We deal with a lot more spam on the those than I see here. Additionally, this particular forum is a lot more forgiving of member comments and attitudes than most. Thanks for allowing us to express our views.

Mike
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    I've noticed a serious spamming uptick in the last month or so. Could we add a couple mods?

It may also be worthwhile to ban all Russian IPs before defensivecarry starts looking like Glocktalk. >.<

EDIT: That's a solid kill, Ghost Rider, dumps102 is a goner!
    Another vote for big government? Want big mods to take care of us?
    Oops sorry, got caught up in the election season. Been inundated with spam mail, spam calls and spam e-mails for and against someone or another.
    Think its getting to me.

Michael

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    ....Could we add a couple mods?........
    Political comments aside, this really isn't a moderator issue. Yes, they could review/approve all accounts, but that's not the way you want to spend their time. As JD pointed out above, there are better, automatic options to deny bogus accounts. Apparently they seem to be working, although I've never paid attention to bogus posts anyway.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    Political comments aside, this really isn't a moderator issue. Yes, they could review/approve all accounts, but that's not the way you want to spend their time. As JD pointed out above, there are better, automatic options to deny bogus accounts. Apparently they seem to be working, although I've never paid attention to bogus posts anyway.
    I was thinking along the lines of more people to delete bogus posts faster if the spam was going to become our new way of life, but it has really tapered off, so I doubt it's necessary.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links