Serious spamming uptick: Resolved?

This is a discussion on Serious spamming uptick: Resolved? within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I've noticed a serious spamming uptick in the last month or so. Could we add a couple mods? It may also be worthwhile to ban ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Serious spamming uptick: Resolved?

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar

I've noticed a serious spamming uptick in the last month or so. Could we add a couple mods?

It may also be worthwhile to ban all Russian IPs before defensivecarry starts looking like Glocktalk. >.<

EDIT: That's a solid kill, Ghost Rider, dumps102 is a goner!
    Hakkaa päälle!

Senior Moderator
    Yup, tis the season for spammers.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

On another vBulletin forum I'm on, it doesn't let you create duplicate posts within 5 minutes of each other. I think in that case it was to keep people from clicking too many times and double-posting, but maybe it would help with cases like this where they just bombard the forum with the same post?
    Guest1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    I've noticed a serious spamming uptick in the last month or so. Could we add a couple mods?

It may also be worthwhile to ban all Russian IPs before defensivecarry starts looking like Glocktalk. >.<
    Good idea. Also, that site appears to be selling credit card information

Since many of these spammers use their signatures and/or links to spam, another forum admin and I worked to create a usergroup that users start out in for their first 15 posts or so that prevents them from having a signature or posting links. This was on PHPBB though.
    accessbob likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Since many of these spammers use their signatures and/or links to spam, another forum admin and I worked to create a usergroup that users start out in for their first 15 posts or so that prevents them from having a signature or posting links. This was on PHPBB though.
    Yep, on a lot of the forums you cant make ANY changes to your profile until after 15 posts.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post

EDIT: That's a solid kill, Ghost Rider, dumps102 is a goner!
    First them damn Ruskies put fluorides in our water and now this.

Michael

JD
    Administrator
    Most of the spammers have IPs tracing back to Africa, Pakistan, India, or Asia....just throwing that out there as interesting garbage.

Ever since we moved to the new forum software a year or two ago (when we went to the white background etc.) we've been getting killed by the spammers. I've brought this up to the owners previously, but will remind them of it again.

I just noticed a professional hacker advertising on this forum, I bet he isn't complying with the forum rules.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I just noticed a professional hacker advertising on this forum, I bet he isn't complying with the forum rules.
    All ready taken care of, thanks for the report.

Distinguished Member
    I am a Super Moderator on an Access forum. For a long time I was the only active moderator and we had a huge spamming issue. We used vBulletin software, just like here, and the site owner wasn't too involved at the time. So I became extremely proficient at identifying spammers before they posted, hung out on the forum as many hours during the day I could and watching the Who's Online stuff. I would check them (through Google search and also the Stop Forum Spam website) out using their IP, Email Address, and user name. So, after a lot of work, and I mean a LOT of work, we finally had it down to just a trickle because a lot of them just gave up on us as I could ban them as fast as they were signing up. Then a couple of years ago our site owner got involved and put in place a bunch of features which helped. Not sure exactly what, but I could find out if you are interested JD. Also, we added a bunch of moderators which helped me out as I didn't have to be there all of the time. The only problem is that they aren't so proactive in keeping the bad apples away. They usually are dealing with their aftermath if they manage to get through the first line of defense.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    I am a Super Moderator on an Access forum. For a long time I was the only active moderator and we had a huge spamming issue. We used vBulletin software, just like here, and the site owner wasn't too involved at the time. So I became extremely proficient at identifying spammers before they posted, hung out on the forum as many hours during the day I could and watching the Who's Online stuff. I would check them (through Google search and also the Stop Forum Spam website) out using their IP, Email Address, and user name. So, after a lot of work, and I mean a LOT of work, we finally had it down to just a trickle because a lot of them just gave up on us as I could ban them as fast as they were signing up. Then a couple of years ago our site owner got involved and put in place a bunch of features which helped. Not sure exactly what, but I could find out if you are interested JD. Also, we added a bunch of moderators which helped me out as I didn't have to be there all of the time. The only problem is that they aren't so proactive in keeping the bad apples away. They usually are dealing with their aftermath if they manage to get through the first line of defense.
    I'm sure the owners will figure it out, it's what they do.

I surf through the new members list pretty regularly and can 5-10 a day before they get to post...most of them are the subtle type with links in their signatures, but we see the more overt ones as well "Location: UK, Occupation: Trading" etc. or my favorites with screen names of "Phonezoocelluarmakertwonder" and the like.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    ... with screen names of "Phonezoocelluarmakertwonder" and the like.
    Yeah, sometimes they make it extremely easy to find them. Others not so much. But there are some search features that can help. We put in place rules that there is to be no URL's in profiles/signatures until after 10 posts. So, I use the Advanced Search on Community Members to narrow down anyone with http:// in their profile who has less than 10 posts. We have settings set so that they can't even see that part of their profile until after 10 posts, but some of them have figured out a way to do a SQL Injection which puts the data in regardless (I'm hoping that will get fixed sometime). So that's why I would do the occasional search like that. Also, you may say 10 posts is kind of small, and it is especially if they post quickly. But seeing a quick bunch of posts made by a single user, and usually lame ones at that, makes it easier to identify them. Anyway, just some ideas that I've gleaned from about 7-8 years moderating that other board.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Some good ideas here. Perpetually clicking on the 'report' button is wearing out my left mouse button.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links