What is Proper Etiquette for Resurrecting Old Threads? - Page 2

What is Proper Etiquette for Resurrecting Old Threads?

This is a discussion on What is Proper Etiquette for Resurrecting Old Threads? within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Originally Posted by RayBar Maybe if there that old they shouldn't be active. Sometime you just don't notice the date until you hit reply.oops. The ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: What is Proper Etiquette for Resurrecting Old Threads?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by RayBar View Post
    Maybe if there that old they shouldn't be active. Sometime you just don't notice the date until you hit reply.oops.
    The owners want them left open just so that they CAN be posted to...

Previously we had them set to close after six months of inactivity.

Quote Originally Posted by RayBar View Post
    Maybe if there that old they shouldn't be active. Sometime you just don't notice the date until you hit reply.oops.
    That has happened to me more than once.

Now I try to check the thread date before I post to it..
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I actually read all that.
    I did too. A brief respite from my short attention span.

On a serious note. Well I can't think of a serious note but I'll just say, it makes sense to me.
    JD likes this.
    Dan,

CZ82 nut

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Well first you have to walk though hot coals, barefooted with cup of coffee to be given to QKShooter. You must stand on those coals while he drinks his coffee, awaiting his approval that it is good...here's a hint, he likes napalm flavored creamer.

Once the coffee is consumed and it is pronounced good, QK will bestow an authorization letter that you must present to Sixto in person, while he's on an undercover assignment, that's all the help you get on that, we could tell you more about Sixtos whereabouts, but it's a security issue.

Once the letter is received by Sixto, he will contact Hotguns via smoke signal for him to look into the thread that you are wanting to revive, if he thinks it's OK, he'll send me a letter, dispatched over night by Pony Express for my review. I'll probably be too busy to read it, but will have Lima read it and explain it to me in her typical 300 word way to say 10 words, but I will agree with her overly thoughtful explanation as to why this thread should or shouldn't be revived.

After a decision has been reached, I'll send a PM to you asking why you think it's relevant to revive said thread and see if your answer matches word for word with Lima's reason for it. If not, the appeals process is similar to the initial process, but that's topic for another thread and you should probably use the search to find the appeals process any way, but don't post there and revive it....

In all seriousness, if it's a topic worth digging up and someone has actually read over the topic in it's entirety and has questions, it's not a big deal.

If it's a 5 year old topic on "What gun should I buy" I will find you, beat you with a rubber chicken, pour Tabasco sauce in your eyes and give you a wedgie.

If the reviving reply is something along the lines of "I didn't take the time to read over all 300 pages of this thread, what do you guys think about XY & Z?" and , Y, and Z happen to be on page 5 of that thread and discussed ad nauseam, I don't know...like Condition 1 vs. Condition 3 ...see above regarding Tabasco sauce.

There is no "Forum standard" for reviving dead threads.

The issue is when topics that have been hashed over time and time again get revived, here's a brief list of what would not pass muster as being a new thread due to vast content that all ready exists on the forum should one have the decency to exercise some initiative and LOOK for an answer rather then needing to be spoon-fed the same content that has all ready been discussed 20 times a year.

• How should I carry my 1911?
    • Should I carry with one in the chamber?
    • What should I do in a traffic stop?
    • What do I do when I go potty?....I'm 21+ years old and can't figure this out on my own!!!
    • I saw this cool thing at the gun shop, it's a concealed carry badge, what do you guys think?

Like there's some new bit of information that is going to change the game regarding any of those topics. There's not.

Now of course, I'm being overly dramatic.., but the answers are out there. It always amazes me that people can use Google to find a forum, successfully sign up and complete registration on this forum, including the verification email, post a thread (bonus points for putting it in the right sub-forum) but can't type "how to carry a 1911" in Google in the first place.

So to recap, use your best judgment, if it's a topic that you think really deserves rehashing as there is some new content regarding the issue that hasn't been covered, GO FOR IT.

If it's advice to an original poster that hasn't been on-line since 2005, save the bandwidth for another thread.
    This is the most hilarious thing I've read all day.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

GH
    As Doodle resurrects a 5 month old thread, lol. Now that he's broken the ice I can't see anything wrong with bringing an old one back to life especially if there's an update of information about the original subject matter. I, too have inadvertently added to an old thread posting before looking at the original date. If I have a thought in my mind I have to get it down before I forget what I was going to say. If I took time to look at the OP date I'd be lost, lol. There are times during a search where aftyer reading 250 responses I think "ooo, ooo, ooo - I have another answer that I haven't seen. Then the face goes red when I find the original post was 6 years ago hoping I can hit the delete button before I'm taken to the woodshed.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

That is it I am buying stock in Tabasco ....
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I don't mind old threads. Some of them have good info that I haven't seen before. Besides that- I get to use the term "Zombie Thread!" One of the coolest terms on the internet!

If it's a bad thread that's truly old news & out dated, people get to use cool gifs & images.

zombie thread image.jpg

You also get to say things like "Die Zombie DIE!!"

To me, it's a Win/Win when someone opens a zombie thread.
    mlr1m likes this.

It's probably better to open an old thread than start a new one with a question that could have been answered with a search.

I occasionally like to see the "pep-pee/poopie" thread. It gives me the chance to make a really snarky post. That just makes my day.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

If you use the search feature to reopen an old thread you will be chastised for opening an old, or Zombie thread. On the other hand if you do not use the search feature and create a new thread on an old subject it will be instantly pointed out to you that had you used the search function you would have found what you were looking for.

Just accept the fact that someone will take offense to your decision either way and jump in. On and make sure your spelling is correct. Thats like blood in the water for those waiting to strike.

Michael
    Brad426 likes this.

Some old threads reach a conclusion. However over time the information in the thread can change and what was valid 2 years go now maybe incorrect. If while searching you find an old thread and the old data is not valid I will add to the thread and start it like this:

***** Update ********
    The data and a brief explanation and as why I am updating it

I find why doing it this way it keeps,the old threads pertinent.

Sent via Messenger Pigeon

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    If you use the search feature to reopen an old thread you will be chastised for opening an old, or Zombie thread. On the other hand if you do not use the search feature and create a new thread on an old subject it will be instantly pointed out to you that had you used the search function you would have found what you were looking for.

Just accept the fact that someone will take offense to your decision either way and jump in. On and make sure your spelling is correct. Thats like blood in the water for those waiting to strike.

Michael
    You mean "Oh, and make sure..."
    mlr1m likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    You mean "Oh, and make sure..."
    Spelling Nazi!!!!!!!!!
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

VIP Member
    There are probably at least 100 old threads that should be put into a special "Gems of the Past" forum but
    be locked.

Perhaps, might it be possible, to run a thread in which folks "nominate" old threads for such special treatment.

I can think of a few by Guantes, Janq, Grady, Landric, and many others who have apparently disappeared from here,
    yet their contributions would benefit new arrivals.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    The admins can set vBulletin to close a thread automatically after a certain amount of days, months and etc.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 19, 9mm.
    Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro, 9mm. Gave To Daughter To Carry.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy View Post
    The admins can set vBulletin to close a thread automatically after a certain amount of days, months and etc.
    Yes, they can and have chosen not to.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links