What is Proper Etiquette for Resurrecting Old Threads?

This is a discussion on What is Proper Etiquette for Resurrecting Old Threads? within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I have noticed quite a few old threads that others are posting to, some have been inactive for 2 years. I don't really have an ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: What is Proper Etiquette for Resurrecting Old Threads?

What is Proper Etiquette for Resurrecting Old Threads?

I have noticed quite a few old threads that others are posting to, some have been inactive for 2 years.

I don't really have an issue when someone brings up a discussion on an old subject, but should they be starting a new topic? Apparently there is no automatic close or lock feature when a thread reaches a certain maturity with inactivity.

Maybe include links to the prior thread if it is essential??

Some members seem to become agitated when an old thread is reopened.

I am not complaining, I am just asking...

2. Remove Ads

Some get agitated when people don't use the search too... can't win. Funny thing is, it's normally the same people who get agitated when people DO use the search.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post

Some members seem to become agitated when an old thread is reopened.

I am not complaining, I am just asking...
    You would mail everybody a $20 bill, and some will complain that you didn't send more.

My take is that some threads are timeless and the continuity is valuable; Observations on an old model, ammo, holsters, etc...

I think what irks folks is when an old part 1 of a news thread is resurrected and speculated on as though it is current events.

If it involves, IWB holsters for powder horns and wadding it may not be pertinent any longer.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    If it involves, IWB holsters for powder horns and wadding it may not be pertinent any longer.
    LOL. I forget how old some of the members here are.
    RoadRunner71 likes this.

Well, if someone bringing up some old thread is the worst experience of my DCC-day, I'm doing OK then. Easy days........
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

JD
    Administrator
    Well first you have to walk though hot coals, barefooted with cup of coffee to be given to QKShooter. You must stand on those coals while he drinks his coffee, awaiting his approval that it is good...here's a hint, he likes napalm flavored creamer.

Once the coffee is consumed and it is pronounced good, QK will bestow an authorization letter that you must present to Sixto in person, while he's on an undercover assignment, that's all the help you get on that, we could tell you more about Sixtos whereabouts, but it's a security issue.

Once the letter is received by Sixto, he will contact Hotguns via smoke signal for him to look into the thread that you are wanting to revive, if he thinks it's OK, he'll send me a letter, dispatched over night by Pony Express for my review. I'll probably be too busy to read it, but will have Lima read it and explain it to me in her typical 300 word way to say 10 words, but I will agree with her overly thoughtful explanation as to why this thread should or shouldn't be revived.

After a decision has been reached, I'll send a PM to you asking why you think it's relevant to revive said thread and see if your answer matches word for word with Lima's reason for it. If not, the appeals process is similar to the initial process, but that's topic for another thread and you should probably use the search to find the appeals process any way, but don't post there and revive it....

In all seriousness, if it's a topic worth digging up and someone has actually read over the topic in it's entirety and has questions, it's not a big deal.

If it's a 5 year old topic on "What gun should I buy" I will find you, beat you with a rubber chicken, pour Tabasco sauce in your eyes and give you a wedgie.

If the reviving reply is something along the lines of "I didn't take the time to read over all 300 pages of this thread, what do you guys think about XY & Z?" and , Y, and Z happen to be on page 5 of that thread and discussed ad nauseam, I don't know...like Condition 1 vs. Condition 3 ...see above regarding Tabasco sauce.

There is no "Forum standard" for reviving dead threads.

The issue is when topics that have been hashed over time and time again get revived, here's a brief list of what would not pass muster as being a new thread due to vast content that all ready exists on the forum should one have the decency to exercise some initiative and LOOK for an answer rather then needing to be spoon-fed the same content that has all ready been discussed 20 times a year.

• How should I carry my 1911?
    • Should I carry with one in the chamber?
    • What should I do in a traffic stop?
    • What do I do when I go potty?....I'm 21+ years old and can't figure this out on my own!!!
    • I saw this cool thing at the gun shop, it's a concealed carry badge, what do you guys think?

Like there's some new bit of information that is going to change the game regarding any of those topics. There's not.

Now of course, I'm being overly dramatic.., but the answers are out there. It always amazes me that people can use Google to find a forum, successfully sign up and complete registration on this forum, including the verification email, post a thread (bonus points for putting it in the right sub-forum) but can't type "how to carry a 1911" in Google in the first place.

So to recap, use your best judgment, if it's a topic that you think really deserves rehashing as there is some new content regarding the issue that hasn't been covered, GO FOR IT.

If it's advice to an original poster that hasn't been on-line since 2005, save the bandwidth for another thread.

I actually read all that.

JD
    Administrator
    In short, the more effort that is put into researching the topic BEFORE reviving a dead thread and commenting on that research done IN the reviving post will go along way in placating the members that have nothing better to do.

On the flip side of that, if someone sees a thread that might fit into the Tabasco category, just use the report icon and let us know, don't go for the Golden Tool award and run off new members...you get extra cool points if you can provide a link to the previous threads and steer a new member in the right direction.

That's good, you gave that a wonderful Lima effort...

I do not want to revive an old thread.

I was just noticing another member that just didn't seem to have any regard to the date of the last posting in the thread, and thought maybe they would see this thread and the proper etiquette...

I found this site from a Google search for information on Durham Co. NC CCP's. There was a good thread here and it was a logical place to ask a question that came up from reading the postings. I didn't even notice how old the thread was ... Would I care? But it got some good responses and all was right with the world except one busybody did ding me for resurrecting an old thread, shoulda started a new one, etc. Being brand-new to the forum I didn't give the response that came to mind.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; October 6th, 2012 at 04:13 PM.

I honestly don't get the furor over resurrecting an old thread, particularly if it is done by a new member in the circumstances you describe and the thread contains timeless information. Just because a few members have "been there, done that, seen it all, got the t-shirt" doesn't mean everybody else has, or that nobody else is interested in discussing a topic from the past, and, as far as the search feature goes on this particular board, I've gotten some mighty strange responses to straightforward (I thought) queries. Type your search terms, take your chances, maybe you'll be lucky enough to get all the misspellings correct and get the info you're after. Then again, maybe you'll just come up goose eggs.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Maybe include links to the prior thread if it is essential??
    Yes, there are those that get cranked by oddities, so links to old threads is probably a good way to appease/avoid such concerns. Though, if a thinking individual believes a topic has current relevance, then IMO posting in an existing thread ain't a bad approach. After all, unless done this way, over time we end up with dozens of threads about the same exact thing. From a searching perspective, it might well be simpler if same-question discussion were all in one spot.

Ah, well. Can't please everyone. As a thinking individual, you perceive a current interest and need to have discussion on a certain topic, do it whichever way seems appropriate. When it comes to this sort of thing, my feeling is that 'etiquette' is just the euphemism for peoples' assumptions and biases about how they'd prefer to see it, not really a guideline on how anything 'should' be done.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Some of us here still load black powder in our cartridges. A few of us even use powder horns.

Michael

Maybe if there that old they shouldn't be active. Sometime you just don't notice the date until you hit reply.oops.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links