Defensive Carry banner

Night shift?

6K views 38 replies 39 participants last post by  dangerranger 
#1 ·
Who does the night shift? Here or at work?

#3 ·
Thank god I gave up doing night shifts when I retired from the military. I never minded the 3-11 shift, but 11-7 killed me.

Reactions: ctr
#4 ·
Before I retired from a security job I worked 2nd shift for 7 years. After I got into a supervisory position I had to fill in for absent people, usually 3rd shift. (Why do 3rd shift people get sick more often than other shifts?)

#8 · (Edited)
I work 1830-0300 Sunday to Thursday in an Amazon.com fulfillment center. I get to see all the weird junk you people buy.

The one thing I am very happy about is that the shifts don't rotate, so I can keep a constant schedule. Blackout curtains helped a bunch, and I readjusted the timers on the thermostat to run the AC around when I like to go to sleep so my room cools down a bit. I do have to make up for not working with some exercise or other physical exertion or else I'm up all night over the weekend.

#9 ·
Ive worked night shift jobs on and off for the last 20 yrs. my last night shift job was about 3 yrs ago 6pm to 6am, 6 days a week, I love working the night shift but it is hard to sleep during the day in the summer time ,only negative was no time to spend with the kids.

#11 ·
My circadian clock is perpetually broken. I work 24 & 48 hour shifts so my sleep habits are a friggon nightmare. I have no set time to sleep.

I'm sure I'm losing a few years of my life because of it. The good thing is that it's the back half and I'll probably be missing a lot of years spent drooling on myself and wearing adult diapers.

#13 ·
11-7 here. 37 minutes left! I only hate it during the summer when the days are long and you go home when it's light out. Fall and winter aren't too bad...you leave when it's dark and go home the same way.

#14 ·
2200-0800 here 4 nights a week....just got home and drank some decaf java....since I'm about to implant my face in my pillow

#15 ·
I've been working the night **** going on 7 years (aug 15th will be 7). I like it, less traffic and it is somewhat cooler temperature wise as well. 90 degrees in the summer doesn't sound like it's very cool but compared to the 100+ the shift before me has to contend with I'll take it. Now if only it wasn't just part time :(

#18 ·
3pm-11pm for 30+ years... with mandatory OT: sometimes 11 am to 11 pm, sometimes 3 pm to 3 am.
Seems I can get more done that way... but hard on personal life... very hard. especially since I only have one Saturday Sunday off in 28 days...

work 7 days, get Monday off.
Work the next seven days, get Tuesday Wednesday off.
Work the next seven days, get Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday off.
Start over.

4 day weekends are great... and my vacation is in 7 day weeks (not 5 day weeks) and I get 6 weeks (42 days) of vacation a year. So if I take a week between my 2 off and four off I get 13 days for one week's vacation... in all, not a bad program... but hard on social activities.

#19 ·
I rotate between days(0630-1430), swings(1430-1030) and graves(1030-0630), but usually the shifts last an extra 2 hours, and you need to be there 30 min early to prepare. I can handle the weird times, the sucky part is rotating from shift to shift. It makes it really hard to make plans and have a social life, and my daughter has a hard time understanding why I'm not home at night, or in the morning all of a sudden after she gets used to one shift. Rotating shift work is the worst.

#23 ·
1730-0930 Mondays, 1345-0545 Thursdays and Saturdays. 8 Hours built in OT at only 3 nights a week, how can I go wrong? Minus the fact that midtown Memphis can be a scary place at night. I much prefer my Germantown post.

#25 ·
Mostly have a nice, normal day shift, Mon-Fri. But I have to be available 24/7, 365, even during my "vacation" time to be able to take care of stuff when, (not if) it goes bad for a few offices. Last time was spent splicing fiber optic cable until 0400 after putting in a full day the day before. No biggie, but sometimes it can be pretty testing when you thought you were going home. There are also a lot of times that I stay to get things done well after hours and everyone else goes home. I guess that's why I'm salary and why they pay me the big bucks right? That's also another reason that I carry at work and no one knows. (well kind of but that's a long story) Because I've heard that criminals aren't afraid of security cameras.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.