A suggestion for the forum

A suggestion for the forum

This is a discussion on A suggestion for the forum within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I am new here. I realize this. I only joined yesterday. I have, however, been a member of other forums built on the same platform ...

Thread: A suggestion for the forum

Lightbulb A suggestion for the forum

I am new here. I realize this. I only joined yesterday. I have, however, been a member of other forums built on the same platform this one is. One of the few things I like about other forums, that this forum doesn't have, is the ability to click a "New Posts" link and it crawls the forum for all threads updated since your last visit to the site. I know this forum has a link to all the posts for today, but that is a huge amount of posts. For the people that regularly visit this site, (maybe you use that link and maybe you don't, I don't know) that would return every post from 0001 that morning EVERY time they clicked it, whether it was updated or not. If I come to this site every 4 hours, that means I have to crawl through all the posts and try to remember who made the last comment. It is cumbersome.

Would it be possible for the mods or admins to implement something like this or has it been tried in the past with no success? Sorry for being "That Guy" and coming in here trying to change things when I have only "been here since breakfast", but it's a great feature on other sites that I use all the time.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Flame on...

On my page "New Posts" shows up right under the "Home" header.

We do have a "New Posts" link.

It puts all the posts in chronological order, newest first, since your last visit.

It should be on the top left of your screen, under where it says "Home"
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I know about the "New Posts" link. Maybe I wasn't clear. Other forums have options such as: All posts since last visit, 24 hours, 12 hours, 8 hours, 4 hours, 2 hours, 1 hour, All New Posts. The All new posts link works like the New Posts link here. The link I am looking for is the All posts since last visit link. The way that works is, if I come here at 0700 and open up some of the new links, read some things, make comments, etc. and then leave at 0715 and come back at 0800, Only the posts that have been messed with since 0715 will show up in the All posts since last visit link. It just makes it easier to scroll through.

Last night I got on here at around 1800 after being on here while at work around 1400. I clicked on the New Posts link and it showed posts from 0700 yesterday morning (albeit on the last few pages). Maybe it is just something I have to get used to...

Quote Originally Posted by sonosam View Post
    I know about the "New Posts" link.
    I just use the New Posts link. Works plenty well enough for me. My opening entry into the forums, as well, is the "usercp" (Settings) page, which shows me my subscribed threads that have been posted since my last reply.

If you're wanting to always know only those threads active since your last visit, you can do two steps: (1) Choose the Mark Forums Read choice, under Forum Actions, prior to leaving the forum; then (2) choose the New Posts link upon reentry to the forums. Then, the only "new" ones will be since you last marked them as "Read."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I guess I will try that out. Not too difficult to adjust, just would be easier if I didn't have to :-P

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    I know about the "New Posts" link. Maybe I wasn't clear. Other forums have options such as: All posts since last visit, 24 hours, 12 hours, 8 hours, 4 hours, 2 hours, 1 hour, All New Posts. The All new posts link works like the New Posts link here. The link I am looking for is the All posts since last visit link. The way that works is, if I come here at 0700 and open up some of the new links, read some things, make comments, etc. and then leave at 0715 and come back at 0800, Only the posts that have been messed with since 0715 will show up in the All posts since last visit link. It just makes it easier to scroll through.

Last night I got on here at around 1800 after being on here while at work around 1400. I clicked on the New Posts link and it showed posts from 0700 yesterday morning (albeit on the last few pages). Maybe it is just something I have to get used to...
    After using the "New Posts" link and reading the posts you're interested in, move across to the right and click "Mark Forums Read". Then the next time you come back there will only be new posts since your last visit.

I guess I will try that out. Not too difficult to adjust, just would be easier if I didn't have to :-P
    One click "easier." Shouldn't be that much of a hardship, as it's pretty easy already.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

At the top, you can also narrow it down to threads you've "subscribed" to by posting in them by clicking on "forum" at the top left and then on the far right and above your avatar, click on "User CP."
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Links