"You're A Troll.." Posts

This is a discussion on "You're A Troll.." Posts within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Recently we've had an influx of new members. With those new members comes questions that may seem very basic and perhaps edgy and controversial, perhaps ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: "You're A Troll.." Posts

Senior Moderator

"You're A Troll.." Posts

Recently we've had an influx of new members. With those new members comes questions that may seem very basic and perhaps edgy and controversial, perhaps even a bit ignorant and naive.

What we are seeing from our membership is also an increase in comments to such threads such as, "You're a troll," "This thread is a joke," "Your question is stupid," etc.

Be warned, here and now that these are direct violations of forum rules.

Rule #1: ... we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts or PMs...

While not expressly stated in the forum rules, the moderator staff can and do give out infractions for thread hi-jacking. And nothing gets a thread hi-jacked faster than suggesting a new member or post is "too good to be true" (or too bad to be true for that matter).

If you believe someone to be a troll please report the post, thread or individual or contact the staff in private. We have (and will continue) to aggressively seek out and ban anyone who has joined just to stir up trouble. However, those who are new and eager to learn should not be pushed away and branded a troll just because they are lacking in experience.

Savvy?
    Last edited by QKShooter; September 27th, 2012 at 02:20 AM. Reason: change lean to learn typo

2. Remove Ads

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    Copy that.

VIP Member
    Ok Maw we will be nice. BUT if they are proven to be a troll can me and the boys have em? Come on just let us poke'em with a stick a few times. Please?
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

GH
    To some a troll is anyone who doesn't agree with him.

I had the same problem on 2 sites I moderate. Like you I put my foot down & issued infractions. Will it be solved forever? No way.
    mr.stuart likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Roger that....
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    10/4

if you don't want trolls just don't feed them
    tcox4freedom likes this.

VIP Member
    Can do easy.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I love the term trolls.

I'm from Michigan, and everyone from Michigan knows there are only two types of people in the world: yoopers and trolls.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I would like to add however, that every now and then I read a post and my first thought is that the poster is an anti- or somehow otherwise unfriendly towards guns and gun owners, and that often they're not only trying to stir up trouble but also mine for ammunition. There are over 60,000 people using this site -- easily representing at least 48 states and Canada, so the opportunity to mine for something that could be used against pro-gunners in some obscure arena does exist.
    Inspector71 and Doodle like this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Aye Aye, Skip! I don't think I've actually called-out any trolls, but I surely may have thought-it mighty loud. What bothers me the most is when some obviously new handgunner shows up & then spends more time "telling" rather than "asking". They ask for opinions and/or advice and then take the opportunity of your giving some as an invitation to then tell you how WRONG you are. I've always enjoyed the (almost) ego-free, friendly rough & tumble around here. Like we're all old friends around a reloading bench stacked with gun magazines. Some of our newer additions seem to lack the necessary rhino-hide to enjoy the spirit of a good zinging! I'm well-past baby sitting candy assed grownups. But y'all are right of course, if we don't feed 'em, they go back under...the bridge (and eat billy-goats).
    wmhawth likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Senior Moderator
    bigmac, I have no doubt, whatsoever, that such a thing has happened in the past, may be happening currently and will happen again in the future. This is a public forum that anyone can come and read, join and participate in.... yes, even if you are anti gun.

Just like I have no doubt that pro gunners have trolled anti-gun forums and discussion groups. It's just the way of life. As long as all parties abide by the rules we don't discriminate. We have nothing to hide here. We abide by our local laws, do not allow discussions advocating illegal activities and, at least speaking of myself here, do not post anything we wouldn't be okay being read in front of a jury.

If, however, someone just wants to make trouble then it is up to us (the staff, not the general membership) to decide whether or not they need to go. The moderators have a few more tools at our disposal (including one great super sleuth) to make sure the people who are here just to start trouble don't stay around long. But if they are here to learn (both pro gun and anti) then they are welcome.

If you suspect someone is purely a trouble maker you are welcome to talk to a mod about it.. we just don't want war ragging in the open forum... it gets blood on our nice, clean format.

This is a what forum?? I thought it was about guns..

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandZJ View Post
    This is a what forum?? I thought it was about guns..
    Did anyone say it wasn't?

Yes sir!!! Understood sir!!!

Sorry , YES MA'AM!!!
    Last edited by marinevet1994; September 27th, 2012 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Realized op was female
    limatunes likes this.
    Disarming innocent people does not protect innocent people.

Don't ever think that the reason I'm peaceful is because I'm afraid to be violent!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links