Merging Threads And Changing Titles

This is a discussion on Merging Threads And Changing Titles within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; While on the surface may seem like the thing to, it often leaves previously-logical posts hanging in the breeze, seemingly unconnected to the discussion at ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By rocky

Thread: Merging Threads And Changing Titles

VIP Member

While on the surface may seem like the thing to, it often leaves previously-logical posts hanging in the breeze, seemingly unconnected to the discussion at hand. It has happened at least twice in threads I was involved in these past few days.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Merging topics and threads is at the discretion of the moderators. It's their obligation to make sure that threads and topics flow evenly, even though that's not always discernible to the the reader.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    Merging topics and threads is at the discretion of the moderators. It's their obligation to make sure that threads and topics flow evenly, even though that's not always discernible to the the reader.
    Spin it as you will, my original assertions remain.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

When you have 5 threads running about the same thing they need to be merged...not much you can really do about it.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    When you have 5 threads running about the same thing they need to be merged...not much you can really do about it.
    I deleted my posts which had lost context.
    William T. Sherman

Administrator
    There will always be a few casualties when multiple threads on the same topic are merged together. It is sort of unavoidable.
    We can merge the threads but, are unable to shuffle individual member posts into a more logical order.

Always feel free to repost your opinion in the merged thread so that it will be more applicable to the new merged thread.

VIP Member
    Merging them seems to be about the only way to do it without eliminating one of them, and thereby erasing everyone who was not posting in the thread that was started earlier.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Spin it as you will, my original assertions remain.
    Spin? No, I'll leave that one alone.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    Spin? No, I'll leave that one alone.
    Upon further reflection, I worded that one too strongly.
    William T. Sherman

No worries.

Lead Moderator
    In a perfect world/forum every member would post only after searching for the topic at hand. Also they would title the thread so one would know what the topic was before clicking on it. Alas , we are not in a perfect world and must make do with the tools and life we are given.
    QKShooter and WHEC724 like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

While on the surface may seem like the thing to, it often leaves previously-logical posts hanging in the breeze, seemingly unconnected to the discussion at hand.
    Two different discussions with two different paths are what they are. But when they're on the identical topic, it's rather pointless to have various simultaneous discussions occurring, just from the perspective of being unable to find what we're seeking. Far better to merge them. Far better, still, to spend the 1min prior to posting a new thread in the search for the same topic that's already running.

And, until improved merging mechanisms exist in the underlying software (vB), merging will continue to rely on simple date/time sequencing of comments. It's not as though all discussions follow some cast-in-stone sequence in which each and ever comment relates directly to its immediate predecessor. IMO, the casualties (in "broken" thought) aren't that noticeable, particularly if given a little tolerance for the limitations of the technology.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    Just be aware of the fact that if members post a thread that is a duplicate and the only comment in that thread is "already running" - we are going to delete that thread and are not merging it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    IIRC when threads are merged, the mods usually add merged to the thread title? If so, that can be a warning that the responses to the thread may lack some continuity.

OTOH if I have a couple of stiff drinks in me, I never notice the odd responses in a merged thread. (j/k I don't drink)
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    In a perfect world/forum every member would post only after searching for the topic at hand. Also they would title the thread so one would know what the topic was before clicking on it. Alas , we are not in a perfect world and must make do with the tools and life we are given.
    Thank you Rocky, try as I might I just couldn't come up with the right wording for a suitable reply.

Sponsored Links