For Discussion / Review: Forum Language Rules - Page 2

For Discussion / Review: Forum Language Rules

This is a discussion on For Discussion / Review: Forum Language Rules within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; No matter what internet world we would like to live in hopefully we all realize there is a real world out there and good or ...

View Poll Results: What do you think about the langauge rule regarding links to off site material?

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like it as is

38 22.09%
  • Links to Off-Site Mateiral are OK provided there is a warning

134 77.91%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree140Likes

Thread: For Discussion / Review: Forum Language Rules

VIP Member
    No matter what internet world we would like to live in hopefully we all realize there is a real world out there and good or bad profanity is used it is a part of life.

If a warning is posted about adult language and you are offended by such language don't watch the video plain and simple.
    If you don't like the instructor or what he teaches on the video don't watch it but remember others may like the instructor or what he teaches.

As has been stated this is not a children's website. It is a gun forum that discusses simply using a firearm or other weapon in self defense that could/would lead to the death of the attacker along with equipment and training to accomplish that task along with other gun related topics. On many occasions videos have been posted of graphic shootings in which it shows vividly the death of another human being and yet nothing is said and sometimes a warning of graphic video is given and sometimes not.

Maybe I have thicker skin than others so the language does not bother me but to each his own. A simple adult language warning or NSFW would suffice. As far as the other rules in regards to language no issue with those, keep them in place.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

If a link I click on to is one F bomb after the other then I'm not interested in what the person has to say,

I'm OK with some mild language.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I know that I'm fairly new here, but I am not concerned about graphic language on a discussion forum. A far bigger concern for me is the trolling, bashing and name-calling that ruins a good forum discussion... and I have seen little to none of that here! So, my hat is off to the Mods here.
    Paymeister, wraithls1 and MrsHB like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    We may not always agree that a transgression has occurred but we will look at the reported issue. On the same note, some people need to be not so easily offended at every little thing that hurts their fragile little feelings.

That includes moderators also right? j/k!
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

It would need to be simple all or nothing notice. The idea of is it mild or exclusively adult content would be to much trouble. No rating system, just a simple adult warning for me.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    As has been pointed out, this is not a site designed for children, so I think the Family Friendly tag is inappropriate (besides, what it really means is child friendly and should say what it means). I think the real danger of strong language has nothing to do with family values but rather that it tends to inflame passions and push peoples buttons. When that happens logical discourse degenerates and we all lose.

I think an Adult Language warning should be sufficient. While I find gratuitous swearing to be obnoxious, boorish, and nearly always self-defeating, I also think there are rare times when it is appropriate. I can't imagine those times would include posting on a forum however. I would not want to be deprived of knowledge because of the form of the communication. As a discerning adult I am capable of separating the wheat from the chaff so to speak.

We are not children and should not treat ourselves as such., however, as adults, we should always be striving for betterment and the suppression of baser instincts.
    wingryder likes this.

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    That includes moderators also right? j/k!
    Lets not go there, there are plenty of members here that are "lucky" to still be here despite how much they have ticked off various staff members. If we operated in the realm of going off of how we feel about X member, this would be an awfully lonely forum.

VIP Member
    I agree with the Adult Language warning also, sometimes when a video such as a dash cam or 911 calls are posted it may be impossible to edit out the language.
    bigmacque, JD, JDE101 and 2 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Links OK in the interest of journalistic freedom.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I agree with the Adult Language warning also, sometimes when a video such as a dash cam or 911 calls are posted it may be impossible to edit out the language.
    I was going to vote against external links with language until I read the above post. I guess there's no getting by it sometimes.

[/SOAPBOX ON]
    I still think we as a country have lost our moral compass. Civility, respect and manners are just about completely gone sometimes. When I hear certain styles of music that can't go three words without dropping every vulgar word in the dictionary, I get upset.
    [/SOAPBOX OFF]

I'll vote for a warning.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    As with many things, I think context is everything. I also think that most people recognize gratuitous swearing and we should strive to avoid it. I think that the 'creative characters' rule has been carried too far at times, again it being a matter of context.

Sent via mental telepathy

I think if they are a kid and not an adult, they shouldn't be in this forum, and that adults should be able to use their own discretion.

If they were watching a video with a comedian dropping the f-bomb, I would be alot less concerned than if they were visiting gun oriented forums. Kids from the age 10 and on, already hear all of it.... whether parents realize it or not.... at school, etc.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

There will still be those who might ignore the warning. Even those who will read the warning and click the link anyways. They will then scream bloody murder that they should have been protected from themselves. I wonder if the Mods will be prepared for them.

Michael

VIP Member
    I know I'm new here but I thought I'd offer a suggestion.

What about a statement that says something like this:

4. As a family-friendly forum, we ask that you keep your language clean, exactly as we hope you would when addressing respected elders. Creative workarounds (the use of special characters to replace some letters) on language are not allowed. Links to any off site materials will contain content which is not governed by the rules of this website. Content which is not governed by the rules of this website might not be suited for all viewers of this website. Members who post a link to any off site materials which do not conform to the rules of this website may be in violation of this website's rules and might have the link and/or links removed. Violators of these rules will be warned once; those repeatedly breaking these rules will have their accounts permanently revoked.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I'm all in favor of getting rid of as many z-tolerance rules as possible.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links