For Discussion / Review: Forum Language Rules - Page 3

For Discussion / Review: Forum Language Rules

This is a discussion on For Discussion / Review: Forum Language Rules within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I can live with it either way. I do feel however that if there is language which could be found offensive there should be a ...

View Poll Results: What do you think about the langauge rule regarding links to off site material?

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like it as is

38 22.09%
  • Links to Off-Site Mateiral are OK provided there is a warning

134 77.91%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree140Likes

Thread: For Discussion / Review: Forum Language Rules

VIP Member
    I can live with it either way. I do feel however that if there is language which could be found offensive there should be a warning notice included in the body of the post. It should be posted in bold capitol letters of a different color (preferably RED to make it stand out.
    phreddy likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Whoever runs the site can make up any rules they want, obviously. If keeping the site clean from language is in the best interest of keeping sponsors and contributors, then that makes sense. But c'mon guys, we're talking about words. I don't currently know anybody who is offended by harsh language, racial slurs notwithstanding. If there's a link with a warning, don't click on it if you don't want to. If you don't like watch R rated movies, don't go see them. Etc, etc, etc. It seems simple to me.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    As far as knowing when something will be found objectionable or offensive, that covers a lot of territory. I suppose we should be able to guess with some level of accuracy what will offend the majority. That is defined as Cultural Literacy. However, there are no hard and fast rules and the culture has been changing more rapidly than ever before in history. Personally, I am offended by some who misuse the language with no thought to what they are actually saying vs what they intend.

Upon reflection, I think that we invoke any links to outside material at our own risk. Therefore, any Official warning should be redundant and not needed.

Ultimately, we are at the mercy of the moderators. may they rule with benevolence and wisdom.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Years ago my everyday speech was laced with swear words,if all the F bombs I dropped were over A-stan there would be craters over every square inch,then one day I was talking and a few people were laughing I asked what the ....are you laughing about? they said were counting how many times you drop the F bomb,I became aware everytime it happened and over time rarely ever drop an F bomb or any other cuss word after realizing just how bad I sounded.
    Sometimes if somebody drops an F bomb it may just be that it was that impressive of an event that happened,when every other word is an F bomb or swear word people quit listening to the story/lesson etc and focus on how bad your vocabulary is.
    My mom told me everybody knows those words,we just don't use them.
    I voted for warning about adult content,sometimes it may not just be language,but a link that shows an horrific Gun Shot wound or something else extremely graphic that some people may not want to see.
    About once or twice a year after all my infractions drop off I tend to do something that gets a Moderators attention,I know better but the keyboard gremlin makes me do it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Unfortunately, I have struggled with colorful language most of my life. I hope & pray one day that I will no longer have this weakness. HOWEVER!!!

I don't particularly think it is up to any forum to be a grown ADULT's nanny! Please, we get ENOUGH unwanted nannying already from our government officials!

I am a Christian & I am a minister. As such I do find certain things offensive. So, a warning would a much appreciated courtesy. But, as adults we all should be able to "police" ourselves. If we can't do that, we may need to have a long talk with God.

-

Particularly links to videos that would relate to one of the forum topics here, I would say that sometimes a video can be invaluable to a discussion, namely in regards to self defense. To me, it would be appropriate to link a site with valuable content to a pertinent post and to warn others of possible offensive material.

I don't find myself easily offended and am cautious when opening up a link to potential inappropriate material depending on the crowd around me. But I do understand that people are different and would rather not be exposed to it too.

I think a poster should take that into consideration and warn of excessive bad language and / or graphic material and put up some sort of heads up in the post that contains that link. It's just common courtesy. And I would say that if I read a warning then click on it, I have no one to blame but myself. Sometimes reality is harsh and there is no other way to get it across than to show it how it really is.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    If not reality, what are we all here for?

Interesting comments. I am old enough that when I was growing up, no "gentleman" or anyone with any manners whatsoever would even think about swearing in front of a "lady"! After high school I worked for a year, then spent three years in the Army before going to college. Culture/mores/morals made a BIG change in the mid/late 60s! I was surprised to hear young women use words that I would previously never dream of using in front of the "fairer" sex! I even got cussed out a few times by being a "gentleman" and holding a door open for a female student! I was told in no uncertain terms that they were fully capable of opening a door themselves. The point of all this is, that times change. I think a simple warning of possible "adult" language should be more than sufficient. If you are offended by adult language, simply avoid that site.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I'm fine with links as long as a warning is provided. With a warning it's left up to the discretion of the individual whether or not they want to see/hear it.

I am glad that we have top notch moderation here, with no over the top cuss words. I hope that stays as is.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    If we can post videos of people being shot and killed, a post with bad language is not much different. I think watching a Brazilian police officer killed in the line of duty while killing armed robbery suspects is worse than the F Bomb.
    Brad426 likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Years ago my everyday speech was laced with swear words,if all the F bombs I dropped were over A-stan there would be craters over every square inch,.........
    I know you said it was a while ago, and I applaud you for changing. I've always said that the more vulgar the speech, the lower the intellect. Hopefully you've grown more intellectual with time.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    For what little my opinion is worth...

I would have to say that I think a little bit of a relaxation in the language rules wouldn't hurt. While I don't want to see a lot of 'Fs' thrown around, I do believe that we are all adults here (or some semblance thereof), and that a little bit of leeway wouldn't hurt anyone. While I agree with ericb327- 'F' and it's derivatives being my favorites, it has no real place here among civilized people.

As long as there is plenty of warning that a video or link to another site has some language that might offend I have no problem with it as long as it's not profane for the sake of profanity.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I voted for keep it as is, because I don't want to see anybody get their high morals and intelligence offended.

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    I voted for keep it as is, because I don't want to see anybody get their high morals and intelligence offended.
    That's fine, we weren't going to pay attention to your vote anyway.

Senior Moderator
    That includes moderators also right?
    Its does. The fact that you are still here proves it. (JK)

I voted for keep it as is, because I don't want to see anybody get their high morals and intelligence offended
    Those of high morals and intellgence generally have enough of an imagination that such offensive words are neither used or needed.
    pgrass101 and tcox4freedom like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links