For Discussion / Review: Forum Language Rules

This is a discussion on For Discussion / Review: Forum Language Rules within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; What are your thoughts on the current forum rule regarding language, specifically about the part in bold: 4. As a family-friendly forum, we ask that ...

View Poll Results: What do you think about the langauge rule regarding links to off site material?

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like it as is

38 22.09%
  • Links to Off-Site Mateiral are OK provided there is a warning

134 77.91%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree140Likes

Thread: For Discussion / Review: Forum Language Rules

JD [OP]
    Administrator

What are your thoughts on the current forum rule regarding language, specifically about the part in bold:

4. As a family-friendly forum, we ask that you keep your language clean, exactly as we hope you would when addressing respected elders. Creative workarounds (the use of special characters to replace some letters) on language are not allowed. Violators of this rule will be warned once; those repeatedly breaking this rule will have their accounts permanently revoked. NOTE: Links to off site material will be held to our family-friendly standard, as well.

I can see the value of some off-site material that contains strong language being made available for discussion here provided that there is a warning etc. included in the opening lines of a thread (title would be preferred but there is a limited amount of characters for a Strong Language advisory unless an abbreviation is agreed upon.\

To clarify, this would only apply to content related to the focus of the forum, your favorite comedian cussing up a storm about _________ would still be prohibited. Likewise your individual/personal post content would still be held to the current standard.

VIP Member
    Rule number 4 explains why the Yeager videos don't last long. Whilst I'm not a user or fan of the f-bomb, I have lived long enough to understand that it is a part of the regular vernacular. +1 on the strong warning.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Rule number 4 explains why the Yeager videos don't last long. Whilst I'm not a user or fan of the f-bomb, I have lived long enough to understand that it is a part of the regular vernacular. +1 on the strong warning.
    Yeah, they do present a problem, there's been videos of his that I've watched 3 or 4 times and never heard a curse word until someone pointed it out. I just don't pick up on it.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    As long as there's a warning, I see no problem with it. It's not me who's offended by language or photos, but I do sit on the couch and hop on the laptop while my kids are watching cartoons sometimes, and if I click a link and it starts off with an F-Bomb I get kinda ticked, but to me it comes with the territory and you take your calculated risks.

I can see the value of some off-site material that contains strong language being made available for discussion here provided that there is a warning etc.
    This seems most sensible to me. Often material of value doesn't cut it under Rule #4 and a strict zero tolerance of such is a loss result for us.
    Doodle likes this.

What foreign language are we talking about? I don't get it.

.......................puts glasses back on...............Oh, wait. FORUM language.
    my bad.

dan

While I do think that a link to an off-site vid with some strong language is fine as long as there are warnings...

can we make an exception for Yeager videos?

I do not think I have enough pejoratives in my vocabulary to suitably express my disgust with his drivel...
    Echo_Four likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    While I do think that a link to an off-site vid with some strong language is fine as long as there are warnings...

can we make an exception for Yeager videos?

I do not think I have enough pejoratives in my vocabulary to suitably express my disgust with his drivel...

"Family friendly" is one thing, but after all, this is definitely NOT a children's web site!
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I'm no prude and know a lot of those words myself, so the use of the words doesn't bother me. But the warning must be clear: whatever is decided upon as a fair warning has to be strictly adhered to. My office mates have heard me use a few of those words around here - in fact just this morning, after a 4.5 hour phone conversation with a really stupid phone company -- but I dont' want to open and run something that would subject them to a string of profanity unnecessarily.

NSFW is used on many boards to warn potential readers/ viewers that the linked content may not be safe for work. Something along those lines might work.
    Doodle likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

I believe this would be a good change. A warning the the link contains adult language should be enough.

Michael
    JDE101 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I will abide by forum rules. However, this is an adult forum discussing very adult issues. I would not mind a slight relaxation in some language and content rules. I would like to see some more regulation on stereotyping, homophobic and sexist posts though.

By the way, being from Chicago the F Bomb and any combination there of are my favorite adjectives.
    wingryder and JDE101 like this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member
    On other forums we generally just use "NSFW" (Not Safe For Work) when referring to other sites/posts/interviews/videos that may have inappropriate/harsh language.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I will abide by forum rules. However, this is an adult forum discussing very adult issues. I would not mind a slight relaxation in some language and content rules. I would like to see some more regulation on stereotyping, homophobic and sexist posts though.
    We do have rules against such, use the report post feature:

5. We have a number of female members on the forum and hope to attract more for their unique perspective and experiences. We do not, however, have "gender specific" forums. They are regarded as individuals that carry a concealed weapon that just happen to be female. They will not be subjected to sexual innuendo as a part of their membership. Be warned, there is zero tolerance regarding this particular rule.

6. We do not discriminate in regards to religion, race, creed, gender, sexual preference, or national origin, nor will we tolerate, on this forum, those that do. Racial, ethnic, or religious slurs appearing in posts will be removed. That being the case, we generally don't want to know most of these things about you. We are strictly a "don't ask, don't tell" forum regarding sexual preferences.

We may not always agree that a transgression has occurred but we will look at the reported issue. On the same note, some people need to be not so easily offended at every little thing that hurts their fragile little feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    "Family friendly" is one thing, but after all, this is definitely NOT a children's web site!
    No, this is not a childrens site but that doesn't mean all of us live in a bar either. I for one am glad language is watched in this site. There would have to be strong warnings for sites that do have more than 1 curse word in them.
    revldm and atctimmy like this.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links