Feedback / Question: SEARCH by keyword, vB config

This is a discussion on Feedback / Question: SEARCH by keyword, vB config within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Q: Can vB be configured to default to searching where the keyword is found in content+title, instead of content only? If searching for prior posts ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NCG

Thread: Feedback / Question: SEARCH by keyword, vB config

Q: Can vB be configured to default to searching where the keyword is found in content+title, instead of content only?

If searching for prior posts on something, via keyword, very often it takes two Advanced Search searches in order to find relevant posts. This seems to be due to vB being configured to default to using the keyword search only in the content of posts, instead of in content+title.

This appears to be true whether entering a simple keyword in the blank box area at the top-right of any forum page, or whether running Advanced Search and entering a keyword into the keyword field there (which defaults to Search Entire Posts, meaning: content only, not titles as well).

The benefit would be defaulting to a single search where content+title=keyword, or at least where content is taken to mean both content+title. Uncertain what the downside would be, if any, or whether it's even possible.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

+1
    I think the search feature is about useless sometimes. I posted earlier that if you searched for Sandy it only found one entry.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    +1
    I think the search feature is about useless sometimes. I posted earlier that if you searched for Sandy it only found one entry.
    Which was why I posted this in the Feedback area. (Thanks for the idea.)

Hopefully it'll turn out to be a vBulletin configurable feature, assuming the Admins would want such a change in settings. Doesn't seem to be configurable by the user/visitor.

Currently, as you mentioned, it takes two searches: ie, keyword=sandy, (a) first via content=sandy and (b) second via title=sandy. Else, only some of the threads are found. Not exactly difficult, but a bit more work than it needs to be. And a tad frustrating when the generic/blank search box doesn't search both content+titles, all but forcing multiple searches to find what one's looking for.

Ah, well. What's the price of tea in China?

JD
    Administrator

Re: Feedback / Question: SEARCH by keyword, vB config

Will reply in detail later this evening.

Sent via Tapatalk 2, and still using real words.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Q: Can vB be configured to default to searching where the keyword is found in content+title, instead of content only?

If searching for prior posts on something, via keyword, very often it takes two Advanced Search searches in order to find relevant posts. This seems to be due to vB being configured to default to using the keyword search only in the content of posts, instead of in content+title.

This appears to be true whether entering a simple keyword in the blank box area at the top-right of any forum page, or whether running Advanced Search and entering a keyword into the keyword field there (which defaults to Search Entire Posts, meaning: content only, not titles as well).

The benefit would be defaulting to a single search where content+title=keyword, or at least where content is taken to mean both content+title. Uncertain what the downside would be, if any, or whether it's even possible.

Using the advanced search, "Search keywords" should be posts and titles. Not sure if the basic search can be modified or what fields it's actually searching

As to searching in general, searching via a single word...is less than optimal. As an FYI, I searched for "Sandy" in the simple search and got 5 pages of results. Typically single key word searches are just too broad a search. At one time, a single key word search was not possible, that must have changed. Also of note is that "Off Topic & Humor" is not included in the search index and as such will not show up in the results. Keep in mind that we've never done and thread pruning and that we've got Threads: 136,370 & Posts: 2,383,102 to search for a single key word and I'm not sure if the database / search index is optimized for single word searching.

If I had to throw out a guess, I would say that putting in two or three keyword will increase results. I don't even use the basic search, I just go straight to advanced search. I think I'd rather see the basic search redone with a widget that results in a Google search of the site.

With all that being said, I'll pass this along to the owners and see what they think on the matter.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    The idea of using a widget for a google search is a good idea. If I search in google when it shows a DC hit it most likely is wha I am looking for.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    The idea of using a widget for a google search is a good idea. If I search in google when it shows a DC hit it most likely is wha I am looking for.
    It can be tailored to search DC for the supplied keyword.

NCG
    I don't even bother with forum search (any forum search). I find most of them useless. If I want to find something on DC, I search "site:defensivecarry.com" and then whatever I'm looking for.
    EXAMPLE- site:defensivecarry.com Glock ejector.

Sometimes I'll get some pretty old threads. If that happens, i'll go to google settings, click time, and then I'll usually go with past month.

Not sure if this will help others, but it helps me.
    zacii likes this.

Administrator
    I was able to modify the basic search to include both titles and content. I am surprised that it doesn't do this by default, and there's no configuration that I could find to enable it.. So a little change to the template and it seems to be working now.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by veraderock View Post
    I was able to modify the basic search to include both titles and content. I am surprised that it doesn't do this by default, and there's no configuration that I could find to enable it.. So a little change to the template and it seems to be working now.
    Wonderful! Now, a search for keyword=whatever works nicely on content+titles, whether in the blank box at the top-right of all screens, or either of the Advanced Search tabs.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Keep in mind that we've never done and thread pruning and that we've got Threads: 136,370 & Posts: 2,383,102 to search for a single key word and I'm not sure if the database / search index is optimized for single word searching.
    Looks like it works just fine. Quickly, whether one or two words, complex or simple, in any of the search boxes/screens. Apparently, the indexing is robust enough.

Administrator
    That's better!

Quote Originally Posted by veraderock View Post
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    Good Job Vera :)

Quote Originally Posted by NCG View Post
    I don't even bother with forum search (any forum search). I find most of them useless. If I want to find something on DC, I search "site:defensivecarry.com" and then whatever I'm looking for.
    EXAMPLE- site:defensivecarry.com Glock ejector.

Sometimes I'll get some pretty old threads. If that happens, i'll go to google settings, click time, and then I'll usually go with past month.

Not sure if this will help others, but it helps me.
    This is what I do, too. The native search function is lacking, for me. The Google engine can dig up some really old, but useful stuff.

Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Sponsored Links