Defensive Carry banner

Double posts -- lots of them, recently. Why?

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  archer51 
#1 · (Edited)
Problem: Just in the past 2-3 months or so, I've been experiencing a good number of duplicate posts getting created ... from my own posting. (Not referring to other dupes by other folks.) Has probably happened ten times, perhaps a couple more.

Symptoms: On-screen, I'll be finishing up a new post by clicking the <submit> button. The whirling timer will spin for an inordinate amount of time (30-40secs or more), then up will pop a dialog box asking to "Leave page" or "Stay on page." I'll pick one of them, and have tried the other ... different choices on different occasions, but all have the same effect. At which point, after choosing, when the screen then shows the last post in the thread, I find that two of the posts got posted. I'm not double-clicking or anything else obviously wrong, other than responding to that strange leave/stay dialog box when it appears. When it does happen, I simply delete the second, spurious one. But the problem remains: double posting for no apparent reason.

My system: No new changes, over past 6mos. Same software, versions, plug-ins and everything else as existed 6mos ago. No software changes on this end, other than the standard occasional Windows security patches/updates that come along. Now and then, I've cleared the cookies. I generally completely logout from the forum, coming back later with a freshly-launched browser. And my browser is set to automatically clear out the session-based crud each time I close the browser. About as clean as I can make it, from this end.

Strange. I can't ever recall similar double-post behavior before a few months ago.

Uncertain whether anyone else has been experiencing this exact dialog/double posting recently.

FYI, in case there is something wonky with the vB forum software, a setting, or some other step that I need to perform on my end.

See less See more
#4 ·
It's happened to me too. What I've done in order not to submit a second post is make sure I copy the text that I've written, go ahead and leave the page and see if it has posted. If it hasn't then you can just paste and retry. If it did post then don't worry about it.

#5 ·
I think what you are seeing is fairly new members mistakes. There were two this weekend. They posted the same Post Title under two different threads.

Also, new members don't check what was already posted by topic before posting the same..

Just my thoughts from observations.....

Also, it appears that we might have a few Anti people in the current mix trying to build post numbers..... Observation to the Mods.

#6 ·
I think what you are seeing is fairly new members mistakes. There were two this weekend. They posted the same Post Title under two different threads.
No, I'm referring to my own posting. I'm getting that pop-up dialog box, delays and double-posts myself. I wasn't referring to seeing duplicate threads by newbies. (Have corrected the OP to reflect this more clearly.)

#11 ·
Hey...it happens to me sometimes. I have always attributed it to my spotty wireless connection which has been wacky (in general) these days. In fact the other day I just ended up paying for the same Ebay purchase twice when I was using PayPal. The seller refunded me right away though.

#16 ·
Huh. Perhaps that's it, then. Something with the connection, not the computer or the forum software. I've done occasional speed tests to evaluate the connection, and it's always turned up "roses" even during times when I've been experiencing apparent slower connections with forums/sites.

While I haven't yet found the issue anywhere else, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Thanks.

#17 ·
I've encountered it also. Not sure on yours ccw9, but mine appear to happen in the morning hours, usually between 6:00 and 9:00 AM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.