Politics and politically-charged topics: kosher, or verboten still??

This is a discussion on Politics and politically-charged topics: kosher, or verboten still?? within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Confused ... There have been a number of recent political type discussions and other politically-charged and policy-related topics out there, recently. Including where moderators have ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker
  • 4 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker

Thread: Politics and politically-charged topics: kosher, or verboten still??

Question Politics and politically-charged topics: kosher, or verboten still??

Confused ...

There have been a number of recent political type discussions and other politically-charged and policy-related topics out there, recently. Including where moderators have posted, even started discussion threads.

Question: Is it kosher or verboten, or are the rules on such posts changing?
    Last edited by ccw9mm; December 13th, 2012 at 12:08 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Verboten.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Rock and Glock, I've been on the "wrong" side of your always-friendly warnings before. I've gotta' agree with ccw9mm, it seems the "hammer threshold" has been exceptionalized (I love inventing words that everyone understands) over the years. Where's the line?
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

The rules haven't changed, but even with a few more moderators on board there just are not enough eyes to go around. I'll go out on a limb and state that overall, we mods are a fairly tolerant bunch and frequently extend good will and the benefit of any doubts by letting things slide by... up to a point. Anybody with more than a few hundred posts here has been around long enough to see us shut down a thread when it gets out of hand.

So if you want talk about politics without taking sides or assigning blame, have at it. Same goes for religion. And most of us can agree that finding fault with elected officials and their bureaucracies is fair game. The mods themselves frequently report questionable posts so that they are discussed privately amongst ourselves. But when the posts start becoming polarized, or we sense they are headed in that direction, we will lock a thread down.

In other words, we have rules, but some things just aren't clear-cut and binary, in which case, discretion is applied.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    The mods themselves frequently report questionable posts so that they are discussed privately amongst ourselves.
    Is there a way to discuss questionable posts privately amongst, uh...everybody else?

Just kiddin' 'ya gasmitty, I DO NOT WANT the job of looking after & over this well-armed, adult daycare.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    I am not a mod but if a thread remains civil it seems the mods will let it run its course but once it gets combative then bye bye.
    OD* likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I think combative is healthy & entertaining. It's when they become taunting, name-calling, insult-fests that require authoritative censor...you pea-brained, tar-heeled, son of perdition!
    msgt/ret likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Confused ...

There have been a number of recent political type discussions and other politically-charged and policy-related topics out there, recently. Including where moderators have posted, even started discussion threads.

Question: Is it kosher or verboten, or are the rules on such posts changing?
    Unfortunately there is no rhyme or reason to what is or isn't allowed...... I guess just post and see if it flies......

I posted a thread in "Off Topic & Humor Discussion" and had it closed by one of the moderators stating "This has nothing to do with the 2A and is therefor closed. " BTW: The thread was light humor but closed nonetheless... So cc9mm I understand and share your confusion..........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Is there a way to discuss questionable posts privately amongst, uh...everybody else?

Just kiddin' 'ya gasmitty, I DO NOT WANT the job of looking after & over this well-armed, adult daycare.
    You can always "Report" a post by clicking on the small triangle immediately below that post (a small triangle with a "!" inside the triangle), if that's what you mean.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

VIP Member
    We are in the midst of an emotional time for us gun owners and it's probably difficult for many to "keep it reined in" here at DC right now. Lately I've been so angry and bothered by this Conn. shooting, that curse words flow right out of my brain, but luckily my fingers are effectively blocking them from my keyboard.

I just hope that we DC gunowners can stay fired up to do what is right to keep our 2A intact. The internet forums are a very effective way for us to communicate during this time. If it's a productive and motivating 2A thread, I hope it can keep running as long as possible.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Links