Forum Rules Updated: Re Language

This is a discussion on Forum Rules Updated: Re Language within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Previously we discussed (both in the public forum and the staff forum) amending the forum rules regarding language. The public thread can be viewed here: ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Forum Rules Updated: Re Language

JD [OP]
    Administrator

Forum Rules Updated: Re Language

Previously we discussed (both in the public forum and the staff forum) amending the forum rules regarding language.

The public thread can be viewed here:

For Discussion / Review: Forum Language Rules

This is the result of both discussions:

4. As a family-friendly forum, we ask that you keep your language clean, exactly as we hope you would when addressing respected elders. Creative workarounds (the use of special characters to replace some letters) on language are not allowed. Violators of this rule will be warned once; those repeatedly breaking this rule will have their accounts permanently revoked. NOTE: Links to off site material will be held to our family-friendly standard, as well. However, out in the real world, it's not so sanitary, when posting a video where it is intended to be used as a teaching tool, you have zero control over what other people say on the video. Whether it's a firearms instructor who may say a few bad words during the course of instruction, or whether you're posting a video surveillance tape of a violent crime being committed and there happens to audio which has people using foul language. The staff feels we shouldn't lose that valuable information because of the bad language rule. A conspicuous warning posted along with the video should be sufficient to satisfy those who have delicate ears. NSFW should be in the thread title and a text warning regarding the language should in included above the link to the video in a post. THIS ALLOWANCE IS ONLY FOR INFORMATION THAT IS RELEVANT TO OUR FOCUS. It is not a pass to use profanity in posts or other usage of profanity on the forum.

To further clarify, videos etc. that have "considerable worth" such as illustrating a self defense scenario or training medium or other content that is directly related for our focus of concealed carry and defensive firearms usage may be posted to the forum provided that the appropriate measures mentioned above are taken.

Should those measures not be taken, and infraction may still be issued. Should the content itself be not directly related to our focus (Think the Chris Rock on "Bullet Control" bit) an infraction will be issued.

I'd like to thank Bark'n for coming up with most of the wording in the addition and those that took the time to discuss the matter.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Sounds good and easy to comply.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Do James Yeager videos count?

Good call...

Thanx

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SayVandelay View Post
    Do James Yeager videos count?
    Yes, part of the reason for the change as a matter of fact.

So noted!
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I appreciate the willingness to adapt to rightly accommodate such that may benefit us all.

Keep up the good work mods!
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

"whether you're posting a video surveillance tape of a violent crime being committed and there happens to audio which has people using foul language"

So, on the scale of offensive things, you're telling me that potential videos of people being murdered is less offensive than a random word?

Roger Tango

Aye Aye! If Bark'n shoots as effectively as he makes his point, I want him on MY side of a gunfight!
    Spirit51 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    I guess from family friendly you mean Honey Bo-Bo is acceptable, but Chris Rock is not? And Duck Commander is acceptable (one of my favs) and Buckwild is a no-no?

With todays standard I'm corn-fused!

Good call on the warning label!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

However, out in the real world, it's not so sanitary, when posting a video where it is intended to be used as a teaching tool, you have zero control over what other people say on the video. Whether it's a firearms instructor who may say a few bad words during the course of instruction, or whether you're posting a video surveillance tape of a violent crime being committed and there happens to be audio which has people using foul language. The staff feels we shouldn't lose that valuable information because of the bad language rule. A conspicuous warning posted along with the video should be sufficient to satisfy those who have delicate ears. NSFW should be in the thread title and a text warning regarding the language should be in(delete the word "in") included above the link to the video in a post. THIS ALLOWANCE IS ONLY FOR INFORMATION THAT IS RELEVANT TO OUR FOCUS. It is not a pass to use profanity in posts or other usage of profanity on the forum.

Could you please define your acronym "NSFW" for those of us who suffer from accurate acronym identification syndrome.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Could you please define your acronym "NSFW" for those of us who suffer from accurate acronym identification syndrome.
    Not Safe For Work
    is the generaly accepted usage,
    I have seen it used as
    not safe for wife.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

JD [OP]
    Administrator

Re: Forum Rules Updated: Re Language

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    "whether you're posting a video surveillance tape of a violent crime being committed and there happens to audio which has people using foul language"

So, on the scale of offensive things, you're telling me that potential videos of people being murdered is less offensive than a random word?

Roger Tango
    It's a standard of conduct. If you don't like it feel free to not participate.

Sent via Tapatalk 2, and still using real words.

VIP Member
    Thanks for the update JD.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post

Roger Tango
    Are you purposefully trying to be obtuse?

Or do you just come by it naturally?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links