Odd problem with Bold, Italics, Underline

This is a discussion on Odd problem with Bold, Italics, Underline within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; At one time, they all worked fine, but for some reason they don't work anymore? For instance: If I'm writing a response to a post ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Odd problem with Bold, Italics, Underline

VIP Member

At one time, they all worked fine, but for some reason they don't work anymore?

For instance:

If I'm writing a response to a post and decide to make part of it bold (or italics, underline, text color, etc) it doesn't work. I get a message box that says, "Are you sure you want to navigate from this page? Changes made in the editor will be lost. Press OK to continue or Cancel to stay on current page".

Neither Ok or Cancel do anything as far a giving me the opportunity to make something bold.

I can make it work by typing in [B] manually; or I can post my reply and choose to "edit post" and THEN it will work.

Why don't these tools work when I'm initially writing a post, I haven't changed anything (that I know of)?

Logging in, signing off, shutting down my computer hasn't helped.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    BTW I did go to General Settings, Message Editor Interface, and re-tried using all three options. Same deal, none of the changes make it work?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Down in the lower right corner, in "Posting Permissions", what does it show for BB code, etc?

What is your operating system?
    Have you recently made any changes, such as disabling Java, or anything else?
    I run Linux, disabled Java, and had exactly the same problem you describe. I went back and re-enabled Java and everything works fine again. On mine, the whole bar of options went away, so I am not sure you are having the same issue, or not.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I've had some weird things going on while posting also, but no problems with bolding, etc.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Down in the lower right corner, in "Posting Permissions", what does it show for BB code, etc?

What is your operating system?
    Have you recently made any changes, such as disabling Java, or anything else?
    I run Linux, disabled Java, and had exactly the same problem you describe. I went back and re-enabled Java and everything works fine again. On mine, the whole bar of options went away, so I am not sure you are having the same issue, or not.
    You may post new threads BB code is On
    You may post replies Smilies are On
    You may post attachments [IMG] code is On
    You may edit your posts HTML code is Off <---------maybe this is it????

Mine has HTML code off as well. I use a Mac and typically I use the control plus B (bold), I (italicize), U (underline) to execute these commands.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Just had a thought --- can you use Word or some other application to draft your post then copy and paste into this site?
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    Just had a thought --- can you use Word or some other application to draft your post then copy and paste into this site?
    Yes, I could, but the mystery remains that it did function correctly at one time, but now works oddly. I remember a good while back my HD crashed, the computer guy came out with a new one and restored my stuff pretty well, but not perfectly. So now I'm guessing the culprit will be a Java thing?

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Yes, I could, but the mystery remains that it did function correctly at one time, but now works oddly. I remember a good while back my HD crashed, the computer guy came out with a new one and restored my stuff pretty well, but not perfectly. So now I'm guessing the culprit will be a Java thing?
    I'm not proficient in JAVA. As I mentioned above, I use Mac's. Last week, I had to update my MacBook Pro and my wife's macBook Air with JAVA 7 because she plays Bridge on Yahoo and due to a change Apple made she could not access the appletts.

Have you tried posting on any other sites to see if the issue is different?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    Have you tried posting on any other sites to see if the issue is different?
    GOOD IDEA and easy enough to try.

edited to add- I just went to two other gun forums, and in composing a reply I could successfully use bold, italics, or underline. Hmmmm?

One gremlin that gave me fits in the messaging editing arena till I narrowed down was "Ad Blocker Plus" it would make editing bizarre at times, similar to what you described. I just told it to no be active on message composition screens here and it fixed that.

Good luck!
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

I got the exact same message trying to use smilies the other day (on my desktop) when responding to a thread. May have to move to the desktop and try bold, etc also...

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    GOOD IDEA and easy enough to try.

edited to add- I just went to two other gun forums, and in composing a reply I could successfully use bold, italics, or underline. Hmmmm?
    They are trying to force you off the forum, one snipet at a time.
    ppkheat likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I think that it's the government messin' with your computer.

Mine works just fine...so far!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't think it's the HTML - mine also says "HTML code is Off", and I can bold, italicize, and underline just fine.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links