Search fallibility: only one reliably works, it seems

This is a discussion on Search fallibility: only one reliably works, it seems within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; There are three types of searches: Simply typing into the little search field on the upper-right of all forum pages. <Advanced Search> default (which defaults ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm

Thread: Search fallibility: only one reliably works, it seems

Search fallibility: only one reliably works, it seems

There are three types of searches:

1. Simply typing into the little search field on the upper-right of all forum pages.
    2. <Advanced Search> default (which defaults to the the <Multi Content> type).
    3. <Advanced Search> but then selecting <Single Content Type>.

But, in my experience ONLY the third option reliably finds threads. The rest usually fail to bring up key examples of what's being searched for. That inviting little search field on the upper-right of forum pages seems enticing, but it's a crap shoot as to whether it'll find half of what's being sought.

Admins/Mods: why is that? And, more importantly, can anything be done to make quickie searches more valid and reliable?
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Your experience is similar to mine. I am curious too. It is interesting - I've seen Google nail one-hour old threads from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Your experience is similar to mine. I am curious too. It is interesting - I've seen Google nail one-hour old threads from here.
    Google search is pretty darned good, particularly if sorting by date. Very direct, nearly every time. (As for the 1hr thing: Good bots, apparently, scrubbin' up everything written by Man.)

It would just be nice if the "quickie" search mechanism in DC could ultimately run the "single" search behind the scenes, and that the default to the <advanced search> was as useful as the "single" <advanced search> variant. Unknown if any of this can be tweaked easily, or whether it's worth pursuing. *sigh*
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    There are three types of searches:

1. Simply typing into the little search field on the upper-right of all forum pages.
    2. <Advanced Search> default (which defaults to the the <Multi Content> type).
    3. <Advanced Search> but then selecting <Single Content Type>.

But, in my experience ONLY the third option reliably finds threads. The rest usually fail to bring up key examples of what's being searched for. That inviting little search field on the upper-right of forum pages seems enticing, but it's a crap shoot as to whether it'll find half of what's being sought.
    Parallels my experience.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links