State forums?

State forums?

This is a discussion on State forums? within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; It seems to me that this board could use individual forums for each state, or, at a minimum, regions. The board seems to draw a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: State forums?

State forums?

It seems to me that this board could use individual forums for each state, or, at a minimum, regions. The board seems to draw a LOT of people that are very new to firearms ownership and they have tons of questions about what they can and can't do. Then, you get bunches of questions like this one about Washington state law, followed by five pages of people giving opinions about Florida, Montana, Texas, North Carolina and ten other states, plus arguing about whether or not banks are Federal property (seriously?) and a bunch of other unrelated junk.

I would think that individual state forums would provide much better information to the newb's that frequent here.

Just a thought.

Most of the other enthusiast-type forums I frequent have something like that. I have no complaints about this site as is, and I usually just ignore the type of stuff you mentioned, but I would consider it a great enhancement if there was such a thing here.
    "Freedom and discipline have come to be regarded as mutually exclusive, when in fact freedom is not at all the opposite, but the final reward of discipline" - Elisabeth Elliot

"While they are saying, “Peace and safety!” then destruction will come upon them suddenly" 1Thess 5:3

Individual state info is available via several iNet sites, and various forum members...I doubt the need for more forum subdivisions...but I'm not part of admin.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It's better to avoid dispensing anything but the most general legal advice in the forum format and better not to rely on any advice offered in a forum post.

We offer this subdivision on regions and it's not half bad though I forget to poke around in it very often. Gets forum members together which might be the "highest and best use" of a regional forum format.
    Member Meeting Place
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    It's better to avoid dispensing anything but the most general legal advice in the forum format and better not to rely on any advice offered in a forum post.
    The posts I see are things like "can I carry in a bar in Indiana" or "where do I go to get my permit in Arkansas" or "can I be arrested for ignoring a gunbusters sign". All of these are specific to the state the OP lives in and inevitably result in 20 people in different states providing irrelevant anecdotes from their own location and arguing about semantics.

Lead Moderator
    Have you tried doing a search? While we don't have State Forums, there have been quite a few threads started on specific States in the past, but most fall out of use due to lack of traffic.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Have you tried doing a search? While we don't have State Forums, there have been quite a few threads started on specific States in the past, but most fall out of use due to lack of traffic.
    I am not trying to find anything in particular. My point is that a good portion of the questions asked here seem to be state, or even city, specific and that people's questions on these topics rarely get answered by local people that actually know something about the subject.

If you haven't, visit opencarry.org and look at how their site is laid out. The state forums there get tons of traffic and people can ask questions in their local forum to get answers to local questions.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInEdmonds View Post
    It seems to me that this board could use individual forums for each state, or, at a minimum, regions. The board seems to draw a LOT of people that are very new to firearms ownership and they have tons of questions about what they can and can't do. Then, you get bunches of questions like this one about Washington state law, followed by five pages of people giving opinions about Florida, Montana, Texas, North Carolina and ten other states, plus arguing about whether or not banks are Federal property (seriously?) and a bunch of other unrelated junk.

I would think that individual state forums would provide much better information to the newb's that frequent here.

Just a thought.
    We have way TOO MUCH division in this country already. lets not try to divide gun owners, especially CC gun owners. We need to stay together.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

You all obviously miss my point. Never mind.

I would think that most States have gun owners forum of some sort already, I know Michigan does.
    MGO Community Forum - Powered by vBulletin

That is where area specific questions are better dealt with. I come here to get a more "general" nation wide view of things and would rather not have to go through many more areas. Although the "What's New" button works quite well here. :)
    JD and Sky Pilot like this.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by dV8r View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInEdmonds View Post
    We have way TOO MUCH division in this country already. lets not try to divide gun owners, especially CC gun owners. We need to stay together.

The concept has nothing whatsoever to do with divisions between people.

It's about clarity of the "filing" system, helping to ensure quality info gets posted in the right spot, with a minimum of effort, without having to resort to culling through mounds of (essentially) hijack entries that have zero to do with the original post.
    phreddy and TN_Mike like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Lead Moderator
    Maybe we should be looking at a "sticky" of just links to the biggest and best sites from each state. I know I can provide Maryland's... Maryland Shooters
    JD likes this.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I also post on the Michigan Gun Owners website too.

Quote Originally Posted by GraySkies View Post
    Most of the other enthusiast-type forums I frequent have something like that.
    I actually noticed that this forum does not have a state by state sub-forum soon after joining and would like one
    TN_Mike likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links