IP Address Blocked By Admin?

This is a discussion on IP Address Blocked By Admin? within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I attempted to log in a couple of times earlier today and the title is the message I received. Any reason or just a glitch? ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By WHEC724
  • 1 Post By veraderock
  • 2 Post By OldVet

Thread: IP Address Blocked By Admin?

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar

IP Address Blocked By Admin?

I attempted to log in a couple of times earlier today and the title is the message I received. Any reason or just a glitch? Or possibly mistaken identity for someone who got banned maybe?
    I followed the link and sent a message to admin; Seems to be working now.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    This is an issue that I see frequently in network security incidents. At first glance, it would seem workable but generally speaking, attempting to ban a user via IP address is futile because almost all addresses are either dynamic and change periodically or are through a collective proxy. In the first case, the ban may only last a few seconds to days and the latter could block large numbers of users.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    This is an issue that I see frequently in network security incidents. At first glance, it would seem workable but generally speaking, attempting to ban a user via IP address is futile because almost all addresses are either dynamic and change periodically or are through a collective proxy. In the first case, the ban may only last a few seconds to days and the latter could block large numbers of users.
    ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew
    bigmacque and ANGLICO like this.

Administrator
    This is exactly correct. When spammers get banned from the site their IP address is added to a banned list. It's entirely possible though that those IPs get recycled to other perfectly valid users. Also, we have noticed a large amount of spam originating from certain IP blocks (large ranges of IP addresses) and so we do ban a few IP blocks. Again, it's likely that many legitimate users gets banned by this as well, however to keep our mods from going crazy dealing with spammers we keep those blocks in place. However we do watch the 'Contact Us" form for users who have been banned by IP and add their IP address to a "whitelist" which lets them in, so if you frequently are getting the same IP from your ISP, let us know and we can whitelist it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    QKShooter likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Anything beyond off/on, volume, and channel select is over my head.
    Lish and NONAME762 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    ^^^
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Anything beyond off/on, volume, and channel select is over my head.
    Me 2 pretty much.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Links