Zombie Threads

This is a discussion on Zombie Threads within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; There are a lot of old dead threads that get brought back from the dead, often by new users. While sometimes it's worthwhile, it seems ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Zombie Threads

Question Zombie Threads

There are a lot of old dead threads that get brought back from the dead, often by new users. While sometimes it's worthwhile, it seems like they just don't yet understand that they might be posting an answer to a question or responding to something that is by far no longer applicable.

Over at some other forums (THR comes to mind) if you post on a thread that hasn't been touched for a period of time, maybe a year or so, you get a warning with a click-through box that says something to encourage people to consider the age of the thread before posting. I like it better than arbitrarily closing old threads because sometimes it's worthwhile to resurrect a zombie thread, but some people could use a gentle reminder.

Thoughts?
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The old threads can be applicable when someone is searching for specific keywords (particular vendors, holsters, etc). Resurrection can sometimes be a helpful thing.
    onacoma and rigel42 like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Man...I thought this was going to be a thread about zombies!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    The old threads can be applicable when someone is searching for specific keywords (particular vendors, holsters, etc). Resurrection can sometimes be a helpful thing.
    Agreed, which is why I hate forums that have an arbitrary age limit to close the thread out. A warning box would keep people from giving input on a question that was clearly answered long ago though.

One that comes to mind was a post not long ago (probably couldn't find it if I tried) where someone was looking for advice for a carry gun. A newbie came in and replied with a well thought out and concise response. The gun he posted about hadn't been designed when the OP had started the thread.

Other times, it's worth bringing up an old thread... but if someone had a "think about it" checkbox, they would probably still post if it's worthwhile.
    Tzadik likes this.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrow75 View Post
    Man...I thought this was going to be a thread about zombies!
    I did see World War Z yesterday, and have since upped my on-board spare mags to four.
    pittypat21, ppkheat, PEF and 3 others like this.
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I look out for Zombies all the time.
    Darrow75 likes this.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Zombie threads will keep coming back until someone does a well placed shot through the zombie thread's head, it is the only way to put them down.
    pittypat21, Jeanlouise and Jaeger like this.

I'm going to respond again to this thread next year.

Freedom's a messy business. I think threads are like children. You carefully craft them (or not) send them out into the world and some die prematurely. Others go in a completely different direction than you thought they would (or should). Some seem to have life spans that far outweigh their worth. A thread is your's until you post it. Then it becomes the community's and the community should decide when it is finished with it. Those are my thoughts.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Quote Originally Posted by livewire View Post
    There are a lot of old dead threads that get brought back from the dead, often by new users. While sometimes it's worthwhile, it seems like they just don't yet understand that they might be posting an answer to a question or responding to something that is by far no longer applicable.

Over at some other forums (THR comes to mind) if you post on a thread that hasn't been touched for a period of time, maybe a year or so, you get a warning with a click-through box that says something to encourage people to consider the age of the thread before posting. I like it better than arbitrarily closing old threads because sometimes it's worthwhile to resurrect a zombie thread, but some people could use a gentle reminder.

Thoughts?
    I too clicked on this thread for zombie tactics and preparedness because that's the cool thing to do. But as for your idea, I like it.
    Darrow75 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I did see World War Z yesterday, and have since upped my on-board spare mags to four.
    How was it? I am a big fan of the book and I know it really couldn't follow the format and be a blockbuster film but it still looked pretty cool. Was thinking of going this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    Freedom's a messy business. I think threads are like children. You carefully craft them (or not) send them out into the world and some die prematurely. Others go in a completely different direction than you thought they would (or should). Some seem to have life spans that far outweigh their worth. A thread is your's until you post it. Then it becomes the community's and the community should decide when it is finished with it. Those are my thoughts.
    It takes a forum to raise a thread...or some such thing.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    i was promised zombies, where are the zombies?
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrow75 View Post
    How was it? I am a big fan of the book and I know it really couldn't follow the format and be a blockbuster film but it still looked pretty cool. Was thinking of going this weekend.
    I enjoyed it, and recommend it.
    Tuco

Administrator
    I don't really mind if an old thread pops back out of the grave again as long as it is still relevant.
    Sometimes by the time one of the Moderators spots it multiple people have already responded....again.

So if it has come out of a coma and started talking again then I'm cool with it.

When somebody from 6 years ago is asking what sort of firearm they should buy and they are no longer a member...it's probably wise to go ahead and close it.

All members should know that they are free to start a new thread any time.

Our SEARCH feature is not always the best and if for example a member is searching past threads by titles only for a Remington and a previous thread has it spelled Remmingtin...it's not going to appear.

But, new members should know that they can always start a new thread. We always have such a big influx of brand new members that even old questions and topics are freash to many members.

If seasoned members feel that some topic is a stale rehash...then just bypass it and move onto something else.
    Rock and Glock and Brad426 like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links